RIA vs. Cimarron

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Zayne, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Zayne

Zayne New Member

I want a nice polished nickel 1911 to out some pearl grips on.
    I would rather have it in .45 ACP than .38 Super just so its interchangeable with all the mags and 1911 goodies I have. Just wondering if anyone owns a nickel 1911 from one of these companies. Is one better quality? Stronger nickel? Better reliability?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Nickel use to be the thing to have, but no longer.

Look at a few firearms that were nickeled and check the flaking.

Polished stainless steel would be better.

IMO, reliability between your choices is about the same. It depends on the firearm itself and not the brand.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

might check out MetroArms American Classic 1911's. they have some in a finish called hard chrome, that looks similar to nickel plated.

4. Olympus

Olympus New Member

RIA has a longer proven track record than Cimarron. I'd rather have a polished stainless than a nickel gun, but that's just my preference.

5. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm on this kick too. Metro Arms, RIA, Cimarron, High Standard, they all seem like very good pistols, and all have their place, just IMO not for me. I am stuck on a more regarded brand for some reason, perhaps it's from my years in retail consumer electronics and computer sales and service I suppose. I ALSO want something with a safety on the right side of the slide as well (lefty here!!).

My search led me to either a Ruger or a Springfield; they are both in the range of about $200-$400 more than any of the above mentioned names. I still haven't pulled the trigger yet (why did I even say that?), only because I am so bent on a quality brand that I am waffling on holding off til I CAN afford the model I want, so I am considering just buying my back up carry like an LCP or Tomcat for now for when I am out of state (which I do often enough). My decision has to be made in the next few weeks, as I am in NJ and my permit to purchase expires in that much time.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Nickle does not flake. I think you are confused by the old cheap chrome plated firearms. OSHA rules concerning nickle plating and factory workers have caused problems in ordering nickle.

It is hard to understand why these old nickle flaking yarns are still around. If that were true your pocket change would fill your pocket with these metal flakes.:rolleyes:

7. Zayne

Zayne New Member

Thanks buddy. That was really reassuring. Made my day! :)

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Tell that to the old nickel Colt Diamondback I used to have. I think it might disagree.

9. Zayne

Zayne New Member

The only difference between the RIA 1911 and the Cimarron 1911 is the Cimarron is a 1911 and the RIA is an A1 model. Personally I'd rather have the pre a1. To me its just more of a quality question.

10. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

This is not quite true buddy. Copper is part of the nickle bonding and plating process remember. And what do we have solvents designed to do? Eat and remove copper. Will this matter on a brand new firearm? No. But after a few years of honest use, a few scratches, maybe some hairline cracks in the nickle finish and guess what happens when you get your gun cleaner on it... thats right, it gets in there and eats away the copper. Will all of your nickle plating fall off when this happens? No. But it will lift small spots that no longer have copper bonding and will flake.

If you have a safe queen that never gets fired or needs cleaned, you will be fine. If you actually want to fire it, stick with stainless steel or hard chrome if you want that non blued look.

If you have a nickle plated gun and use a copper removing solvent, it will flake. When just depends on how often you use the solvent on it

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

As ryguy00 says, it's the copper undercoat that gives way. The amonia in the cleaners is supposedly the offending ingredient. Cleaners without amonia seem to be okay, but I question if those cleaners do a proper job in the barrel. Hard Chrome would be better than nickle & many say it is tougher than stainless.

P.S. As to RIA or Cimarron, I didn't have a good experience with my RIA, but it was likely the exception. Not familiar with the Cimarrron because I'm only aware of revolvers in that brand. Where are they made?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Would you please post one of your nickle guns that a cleaner has flaked the finish? I have nickle plated Remington Army Mdls. issued to NDN scouts these were nickle . These 1870 era handguns are worn but not flaked. I have never heard of the cleaning issue?:confused:

13. danf_fl

My thought on nickel is that, as any other coating process, dimensions are changed.

While some nickel processes may be harder than others, slide to frame fit could abrade the finish faster than stainless or blued steel.

14. krzkevin

krzkevin New Member

It's all a plating process copper is base plated then nickle plate over that. Chrome is plated over nickle as it is actually translucent.

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Couldn't tell you what caused the flaking on my Colt as I bought it already in that condition. But cause aside, I can assure you that it can and does happen.

I had plans to have the gun refinished, but sold it for a quick profit several years ago. If I still had it, I'd happily snap a few pictures for reference.

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Interesting. I didn't know the chrome was over nickle. I guess that means that there is copper present even with a hard chrome finish.

In the pump business, manufacturers offered Hard Chrome construction in abrasive applications & stainless, allow 20 or titanium for various corrosive duties. Some offered a "electroless" nickle coat as a cheaper alternative to stainless, but I don't know if that is the same process used in firearms. I do know that any flaw, crack, scratch or wear that occured would allow the pumpage get to the steel & it would eat the steel out from under the coating.

17. danf_fl

Has Zayne (OP) figured out what he wants to do?

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the difference bwtween an A1 and a non A1 1911 is design changes that were made in 1924, in which it be came the 1911A1. some of these changes were 1) shorter trigger, 2) arched MSH, 3) cutouts in the frame behind the trigger, 4) longer grip safety, 5) wider front sight, 6) shorter hammer and 7) a simpified grip checkering.

the difference between an A1 an a non A1 have nothing to do with quality, but with a persons personal preference in design details. parts were still interchangeable between the two versions.

19. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

Cant help you there. When i want a silver look, i go with stainless. I never have and never will buy a nickle plated firearm. I use very potent copper solvents on my firearm barrels and it gets everywhere. Splashes from the brush bristles, on my fingers from handling the cleaning rods, etc. It is simple chemistry that would lead to disaster. Ymmv. If you only use good ol hoppes #9, (a powder solvent) and you've never used butches bore shine or sweets solvent, you will probably never have a problem with nickle plating. That stuff will actually melt the bronze brushes if not cleaned off with brake cleaner immediately after use. But you will never have a group ruined from copper fouling!

Its honestly more for use in rifles and not as necessary for most pistols to use a solvent so strong to remove copper fouling. But i know it works extremely well, i already have it on hand, and what the hell, ill use it on my pistols too.

20. Zayne

Zayne New Member

Yes I'm aware. Thank you.