RIA vs ATI

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by krisko09, Apr 21, 2014.

1. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

I'm looking to get a budget 1911 compact and have read good and bad reviews for both (mostly good actually). Does anyone here have a personal opinion or experience to help sway my decision?

2. jake1

jake1 New Member

No experience with either of those. A friend of mine had an ATI and had nothing but feed and return to battery problems so he got rid of it. I personally have a metro arms ACII and have only had a recoil spring issue that cleared up with a better spring. Same basic gun as RIA. Made on the Philippines

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a full size RIA 1911 tactical 9mm, it is a great pistol. However comparing a full size to a compact is an apples to oranges kind of thing.

My only experience with ATI is my GSG 1911 .22lr.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Any compact 1911 is more prone to problems than a full size 1911.

I have done more transfers with RIA than ATI. I haven't had an ATI come through in a couple of years. And when I did, there were parts replaced on the ATIs within a few months.

ATI may have gotten better, but I have no direct knowledge.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

MetroArms and RIA are both made in the Philippines, but are two different companies. they are not related in any way.

6. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

ATI (aka American Tactical Imports) is the North American Distributor for Shooter's Arm Manufacturing (aka SAM), a Philippine company.

ATI (American Tactical Imports)
    http://www.americantactical.us/

Shooter's Arm Manufacturing
    http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/index.php

Note: they also are the distributor for German Sport Guns GmbH (GSG), obviously not made in the Philippines.

7. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

Well are there any others that I'm not considering? I'm willing to go as high as about $700. I really dont feel like dropping $1000 on a kimber

8. Axxe55

RIA and MetroArms are ver solid and dependable 1911's for the money. you can get a lot of value without spending an arm or a leg. i am on my second MetroArms AC 1911. the first one a Government Model was an excellent performing pistol. very well made and looked great as well. my second and current one, an AC Commander Model. it too has been a great performing pistol and pretty decently accurate. it's one of my favorites and the first Commander sized 1911 i haver ever owned. in the past i have always owned Government models.

i highly recommend the MetroArms and RIA's be checked out if someone is shopping for a good 1911 without spending a fortune. they are a great value.

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Well, since you asked....
    First of all, I have two MetroArms 1911s and can only say good things about their fit, finish and performance.

My arsenal also includes a STI Spartan V 9mm, which would be at the top end of your budget. The Spartan models are excellent pistols.

http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-spartan-v-2/

Another one I have is the Para USA Expert 45 ACP also at the top end of your budget but well worth considering.

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/expert/expert.php

10. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

truly 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

for the money, they are actually pretty decent.

and, you get what you pay for.

it's a 500 dollar new 1911. expect it to behave as such. not trying to sound like a dick, just being serious. for the money, i'd be looking for a used springer mil-spec.

11. Garandman1945

Garandman1945 New Member

I bought a RIA 1911a1 GI from Buds for $400 about six months ago. I'm quite happy with it. The fit and finish is great, it's accurate and it wasn't overpriced.

Here it is with original grips, and the "US" grips I put on recently.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  12. Axxe55

i have to disagree. i have owned well over 35 different 1911's in almost 30 years. many different brands. some inexpensive, some expensive. the RIA and the MetroArms are very capable of holding their own with pistols costing twice as much.

you are welcome to have your opinion, but i think you are going to find that more are probably going to disagree with you, than agree with you.

13. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

and, they're more than welcome to. as, you are welcome to disagree. as I said, for the money, they are a good value. however, compared to a more established manufacturer, the differences in build quality start to become glaring. fit finish. those things tip scales. I've owned philipino 1911s. for the money, I had zero complaints. could they compare to a clean used colt, springer, or kimber?

and, at the full price of a citadel, ati, etc...your nearing the price of a clean used colt or springer.

14. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Buying new and buying used just ain't the same for me.

I have bought used guns and was quite satisfied, but buying a new gun is more fun.

15. hmh

hmh New Member

The para I think still have a $100 mail in rebate

16. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

I would stay away from any ATI product. Nothing butt issues with 1911 and AR's. I have worked on them for friends. I do endorse the RIA pistols. I bought a Citadel, and it's my favorite 1911 I have. I favor it over my Springfield and my 70 Series Colt Combat Commander. It feels better , nice pull and a solid gun. Best deal out there for under 1k.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Forgot pics ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398369430.668988.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398369446.371508.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1398369461.816259.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014