RIA Tactical vs Taurus PT1911 --- 9mm

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by victorzamora, Aug 1, 2011.

1. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Alright guys, I can get either the all black PT1911 for $525 after tax tomorrow or get the RIA Tactical for $525 after tax in up to two weeks....so price is a non-issue, LITERALLY the same price. I NEED to make the decision by tomorrow morning. I'm picking up my CCW at 8:00AM and will be purchasing the gun (if I decide to get the Taurus) by 10:00AM tomorrow morning.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

my personal opinion. both are very hit or miss qc wise. luck of the draw. i would personally save a few more sheckles and go for a colt or springfield armory

others will assuradly have different opinions

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My personal experience goes along with JonM's advice.
    Heed his advice on this and you won't be sorry.

4. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I would just try to save up, but I know EXACTLY how much money I'm going to have to spend. I'm a full-time Aerospace Engineering student at Virginia Tech, and I know exactly how much money I'll have to spend....and I can't really justify spending much more than $500. If there are any real reasons to buy a nicer one, let me know and I'll see if I can reconfigure some funds and get a nicer one.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't think I would spend that much on a Rock Island and I would even think about the Taurus.

Why do you want a 1911 in 9mm? Capacity and Ammo cost.:rolleyes: I prefer my 1911 in .45ACP, so did Mr. Browning.:D

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Now theres a coin toss for you :confused:

Agree with JonM :rolleyes:

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

the best reason is just gauranteed quality out the door. your looking from what i can tell a Self Defense firearm. my colt 1911 feeds everything from empty cases to hp to wadcutters to fmj. my sa wont feed empties but it does everything else.

SD weapons shouldnt be skimped on its your life which is waaaay different than a range gun.

ria and taurus your taking a big risk with companies not known for steller customer service. while there are folks on this very forum that have had good luck with both there are almost one for one with people who have severe issues with both.

i know getting cs from both ria and taurus is iffy at best.

if colt and sa ship a product that isnt right they make it right or replace it no question. i know colt gauruntees it will function with no break in period. their motto is if their 1911s dont function from the getgo there is a problem with it and should be sent back for repair.

my ccw are both colts.

if you got a hard budget get a bersa UC 45. or their 9mm. bersa cant be beat price wise for a gun that just plain works. bersa also has a no bs warranty.

while im not a fan of polymer guns the springfield xd are good guns.

another option is the cz75 series fine guns for a decent price.

8. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Sorry, I forgot to clarify: I'm looking for a range gun. That's why I want 9mm. I want to put boatloads of ammo through it and cut a large hole in a piece of paper. I've got SD all covered with a Px4 subcompact, which I might be swapping....but that doesn't matter.

9. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

With that said, get a used Beretta 92F or High Power. 1911s are supposed to be .45 ACP.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would rather buy a quality handgun that will last me a lifetime.

If that means holding off for a year, then well be it.

Purchase a lesser quality of handgun, and your money goes into shipping to get it fixed (even if the repairs are free).

11. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

I am SOO sick of people saying that....I seriously enjoy shooting 9mm and I'm slowly falling in love with the 1911 platform. Half the reason I'm looking for a 9mm is because I want to keep my ammo to as few of calibers as possible. Right now I have 5 guns and 4 calibers. I want 6 guns in 4 calibers.

12. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Well, I'm picking up my CHL tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll be walking out of the gun shop tomorrow with a range pistol. I might even step up to an $800 gun. If the local shop has a good deal on a 9mm 1911 in stock in that range, that's exactly what I'll get.

13. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Check out a CZ75b

14. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

sorry... didn't mean to offend. just posting my opinion. i practice the same philosophy with common cartridges. I own 18 firearms in 10 calibers. i am a big fan of bore-snakes as well, and this helps by using the same snake on several guns.

if you enjoy the 1911 platform in 9mm... go for it!

15. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that....I just have several friends who's opinions I trust and they all told me the same thing. I am NOT going to be talked into a 45ACP 1911, I simply can't justify the ammo. Shoot, I almost bought one in 22LR for the ammo cost!

I really didn't mean to sound offended or grumpy, but it's just posted everywhere. John Moses Browning designed it in a 45ACP. Colt produced it in 45ACP. I get that, but I'm not buying a 1942 Colt M1911 and converting it. THAT would be sacrilege. A rail would be sacrilege. A double-stacked mag would be sacrilege. There are plenty of decisions I've made to keep the traditional M1911 around, including the extra cash I'll shell out to buy wood grips for it. Anyway, I'm gonna go to the gun shop and look at a 9mm 1911 up to $800 and buy whichever feels nicest.

This'll be gun #6 for me, and might be the last one for a while unless I sell my Px4 Subcompact (I want a smaller pistol for concealment as I'm picking up my permit right NOW:D:D:D). Anyone interested?? :D

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

If your looking for an outstanding ccw slim compact check out the colt defender/new agent they come in 45 and 9mm.

I got rid of 9mm over the years and switched to 45acp. Just about all my handguns are 45 now cept for a colt python a desert eagle a few bersas for pocket guns and 22s.

I dont shoot the bersas de or python much.

17. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

no worries here... but if you trust your friend's opinions then why not listen?

do yourself a favor and handle a few other models in 9mm before making a decision. i hear you loud and clear about cheaper ammo. in a centerfire pistol round, 9mm is the most economical. i just think there are pistols in your price range that were designed for 9mm. i.e. Beretta 92FS, Browning High Power, CZ 75 BD...

a 1911 was designed for .45 ACP...

whatever you decide is your choice, not trying to be an @$$.

let us know the final outcome.

18. victorzamora

victorzamora New Member

Well, I picked up the PT1911....and I love it. I put 75 rounds through it today and I'm definitely enjoying. I'll definitely keep working at getting my groups smaller and smaller.