RIA 1911s?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by article2, Mar 5, 2013.

1. article2

article2 New Member

I'm looking at getting my first 1911 but I'm kinda on a budget. I've had my eyes on a Rock Island Armory at the local shop for a while. Does anyone own one or has anyone shot one and if so are they descent firearms?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yes they are. very well made and virtually no one complains or has any regrets in buying one. they make a good choice for a first 1911 if on a budget.

now if you buy one and are expecting Colt or Nighthawk or Les Baer quality and accuracy, then yes you might be disappointed. but if what you expect is a well made and decently accurate 1911 at a decent price, then you won't be.

3. article2

article2 New Member

Thanks axxe55. I greatly appriciate your input.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Spend the extra $50 - $60 and get a Tactical RIA, better sights, trigger, beaver tail grip safety. Add some Hogue wrap around grips and have fun.

5. article2

article2 New Member

I was actually looking at the compact because I'm looking to replace my SR9 with something with a slightly smaller frame.

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

^^YUP^^^

[​IMG]

7. sc00ts

sc00ts New Member

+1

I've had my RI for 3 years and absolutely love it. You won't be disappointed.

8. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I am disappointed with my RIA. I recently bought a 22 TCM Micro Mag 9mm. The grips screws are not normal size and the grips are not replaceable. I bought a set of VZ Grips that are made for the Para P14. I was told they would fit but they don't even come close. I have tried for a week to get a hold of Armscor. But no luck.

I advise you to save a tad bit more money and get a Springfield, Colt, Ruger, Taurus, STI, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, etc.

Rock Island Armory is not a bad gun. But I've just not had the experience I was hoping for with mine. As the saying goes. You get what you pay for.

9. article2

article2 New Member

This is the one Ive had my eye on.

ForumRunner_20130305_044945.jpg

Attached Files:

10. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Nice looking. How much?

As I said, you get what you pay for.

11. article2

article2 New Member

$499. The price is the reason I'm asking advice. Not looking to spend more than I can afford but looking to pick up something I can carry and depend on.

12. Squawk

Squawk New Member

The price is right. My LGS has them for $529.99.

Just remember. You get what you pay for.

13. mag318

mag318 Member

These Philippines produced 1911s are surprisingly good quality pistols. Two of my friends bought the basic 1911 and they were both very accurate and functioned perfectly. I highly recommend these, for the money they can't be beat.

14. misterballistic

misterballistic New Member

STI sources Armscor/RIA components for their economy line (but still excellent) guns like the Spartan V although final assembly and tuning is done by STI.

I doubt STI would use RIA even for cost measures if it compromised their reputation.

15. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Great guns as I own 3. Not a single problem from any. I have the nickel plated .38 super, 9mm tac, and the cs in .45. Love all of them. Really good guns for the money as far as I am concerned. Here's my cs and has been with me everyday for two years now as far as CC. Buy with confidence. Great CS too.

[​IMG]

The 9mm
    [​IMG]

The .38 Super.
    [​IMG]