RIA 1911A1 Issues

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CA357, Feb 18, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A while back, I sold my SR9c and used the cash to buy a new Rock Island 1911A1. Just the basic plain vanilla GI model.

Well, it had failure to feed issues. Bad.

I polished the feed ramp, but that didn't help. So, I sent it to Armscor in Pahrump, NV to have it fixed. The turn around time was excellent, the pistol was back to me in about three weeks, total time from the day I shipped it.

The throat & chamber were polished, ramp polished, extractor tuned and the recoil spring was replaced. This was after about 5-600 rounds.

I got it back and took it to the range last Saturday. It still won't feed right. I called Armscor and spoke with Dave the gunsmith and sent it back again on Tuesday.

BTW, it is not a magazine issue. It FTF'd with Kimber, McCormick, Wilson, Tripp and the factory supplied Act-Mag.

One other thing, RIA doesn't provide a shipping tag. Dave said he'd do something to make it up.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Didn't you have trouble with another RIA?

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Did you ship some of your ammo, too?

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I had the same problem with the same model gun-
    Did all i could do (about what Armscor did to yours) & same problem - Mine was FTF on FIRST round from mag only- ANY mag-
    Anyway I started running it "WET" & shooting it a lot-
    MUCH better now :rolleyes:

5. CA357

Yes, my only other RIA was a Tactical model a couple of years back and it wouldn't feed either. I sold it post haste.

I figured with all the "I love my RIA" posts and threads that I'd give it another go. I mean I couldn't get two lemons, right?

It is not operator error or a magazine issue. It is definitely something with the pistol itself.

I've owned an SA Mil Spec, a Baer TRS, a Dan Wesson CBOB and my Sistema. None have had the issues the two RIA's have had. Maybe I'm just snakebit when it comes to the Rock Islands?

Tons of folks have them and love them, so my luck must just be bad with them.

The thing is that I could have spent the same money on a Sistema that had peen reparkerized, but didn't want to buy something that might turn into another project pistol.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  6. CA357

All common and all 230gr. ball. Blazer, Blazer Brass, WWB, S&B, and Fiocchi.

I bought it to shoot hardball ammo through. I only shoot 230gr. ball ammo in my 1911's. If that doesn't do the job, I either need a long gun or to run like hell.

7. danf_fl

I have not had a problem with my RIA (.38Super) feeding in the 150 rounds I've put through it.

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Must be the ones they send to California. I have never had an issue with my Full size plain jane GI. SHoots everything even with the ActMag. Sorry to hear that, hope their customer service helps you out.

9. CA357

The round just noses into the feed ramp. :(

When I get it back, I'm going to shoot the hell out of it, then, it it's still not dependable, I'll see if the shop still has that reparked Sistema and how much they'll give me in trade. I know what a Sistema is capable of and I'd trust it.

10. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I've been having a similar issue with my Taurus lately. With hollow point ammo. It would noise dive that first round into the chamber. Tried a different ammo. Federeal hydra-shock, its only done it a few times. I have 3 mags for it and the ACT-MAG works best. Even better than the Chip McCormick. I have been keeping it cocked and locked because that seems to make it run. Also if I load 7 in the mag instead of 8 its fine. Im thinking on doing a slight polish on the feed ramp and staying away from wide mouth hollow points to see what happens.

11. CA357

It does this on any given round. I could slingshot the slide and get it to load most of the time on this last outing which it wouldn't do the first trip. So the work done did help some. I didn't have to keep dropping the mag and clearing the pistol like the last time. But it still got pretty old after about 75-80 rounds. :rolleyes:

I might add that even with ball ammo, this pistol has become prohibitively expensive to shoot and still have failures of this nature.

12. danf_fl

If you have an old mag, try to adjust the lips a little so it releases the round a little earlier.

If you have a shock buffer in there, remove it.

How is the breech face of the slide? Smooth?

Does the barrel have too much overhang?

13. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

If it is nosing the rounds into the feed ramp with all mags, you might try another mag catch from your parts box or another 1911. The mag catch may be out of spec and not holding the mag in the proper position. It won't take much for this to happen, have seen it many times before. Try it and let me know and we will go from there. Check your recoil spring also and replace it with a new 18-22lb spring if needed. A too light spring will cause your FTFs also.

Jim...............

14. CA357

Right now, it should be in Nevada at Armscor Jim. The mag catch is something that hasn't been looked at as far as I know. They did replace the recoil spring last trip there.

I find it hard to believe that the mag could have anything to do with the problem. I used Chip McCormick, Kimber, Wilson Combat, Tripp and the factory Act-Mag. It fails with all of them. Now, the mag release is a whole different story, I had no idea that it could be an issue.

15. danf_fl

Please keep us informed. I had one 1911 that I had to set up special mags for. After a while, I got fed up and used it for parts.

16. silentghost

silentghost New Member

I would also say check the mag catch. If it is out of spec the mag could be sitting fractionally lower than it is supposed to.

17. CA357

If and when I speak to Dave at Armscor, I'll mention the mag catch.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Strange- Mine did the same (6 rds in my 7rd mags ran 100%):confused:

19. CA357

Buy some eight rounders and load seven. ;)

20. CA357

I just checked the tracking number on FedEx. The pistol was delivered to Armscor today.