RIA 1911 Compact

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Phelenwolf, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I just picked up my first Compact 1911 today and I am very excited. I purchased a Rock Island 1911 Compact for $450.

I am very impressed with the pistol and surprised at the same time. I did not expect such a good pistol for the price. The only draw back is that it came with one magazine.
    I am looking for some more magazines for it but am not sure which mag's it will use. I have seen the Commander and Officer magazines, which is the correct magazine to purchase or can they both be used?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

im not familiar with those. but ive got a compact 1911 a colt new agent. it works just fine with milspec mags. carry with the short mags regular full size for extras.

other than that RIA for extras.

maybe someone else will have a source

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I just got one myself. I paid a bit less, though. I haven't picked up any extra Mags yet either. I changed out the grips, I didn't like the plain wood. Great little Pistol.

4. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I have two RIA 1911s. Don't go cheap on mags. I tried some gun show bargain variety units that now reside in the junk box. Wilson, MecGear, and I know there are others (someone will chime in) are well spent money. The Compact mags are a round shorter.

On another note:

The one thing that made a difference with the RIAs is a light polish of the feed ramp. No Dremel action, just some superfine (1200+ grit) sand paper, and metal polish. Clean the bejesus out of it when you are done.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

6. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Got one of these little beauties a month ago and finally took it to the range last week. Great gun 100 rounds through it and no issues at all. The mag follower looks different on this one than my other 1911's though.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1 Jack, Tripp Gen II Cobra Mags are all I use for carry.

See this Staff Review: Tripp Gen II Cobra Mag Test

Call Aaron at 877.837.9445 and tell him what you got and he will set you up. Be sure to tell him where you heard about Tripp Research.

If you want to stay stock I'd go with the 7 round welded base.

I have a Defender 3" and the compact (officer) grip is a tad short for my taste so I added a S&A Mag-Guide and a Cobra 8 round mag with the alloy base. It gives me that little bit of extra length making the mouse-gun feel secure in my meat hooks.

[​IMG]

8. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Thanks for all the great info. I have never had a 3" compact 1911 so all of this is new to me. It is funny how much you know untill you get something new that you know nothing about.

By the way canebrake I love those grips, where did you get them?

I recently picked up some Chip McCormick 8rd 1911 Commander magazinesI have yet to try them but I hope they fit. If not I think they may fit in my Colt 1991A1.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Does the manual specify how many rounds before recoil spring change?

10. kyleytxrialover

kyleytxrialover New Member

me i just change mine at the first ftf fte

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The sub 4 inch guns eat springs quickly. I start looking at function problems at 500 rounds or so - like throwing brass into the next county or failing to return to battery...

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I got them from Dog Grips up in Michigan.

Dog Grips

Give Mel a call/email and tell him canebrake sent you. Ask him if he's found a dark diamondback hide yet? He is going to do a pair for my BHP.

13. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Dog Grips is one of the site that I found when looking for some different grips, I just have not had time to look at there site.

14. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Wilson Combat magazines are very good and have worked well in my RIA.

15. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Ok, guys next question, what type of ammo do you carry in your compact 1911's.

I have heard that the Officer's model is more picky when it comes to feeding it ammo then the fullsize big brothers?