Revolving Metal Targets

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by oakmag, Mar 14, 2012.

1. oakmag

oakmag New Member

Have been considering getting a revolving metal target. I heard a rumor that when shot with certain calibers that the bullet can be deflected back to you when it flips at a high rate of speed. Keep in mind it will only be used with a .22 lr. Can anybody lay this rumor to rest? It sounds silly to me but I would like opinions on it.

2. almostgotme

almostgotme New Member

Im not an expert on .22s but i know that the big steel plates used for high powered rifles, are armor plated. This prevents dips in the metal and destroys most ammo on contact. Keeping most bullet fragments from traveling past five yards from contact on the target.

3. seal6

seal6 New Member

I know that a .50 punches through a jeep engine and doesn't ricochet but that's the extent of my knowledge as we are talking a bit smaller than my preference haha I'd say at 50-75 feet you'd be safe haha

4. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

Soft lead will not turn a 180 very easily. I've shot steel targets with .22's, 9mm, .38's, .357 mag & .45 ACP all at 20-25 feet. NEVER had one come back anywhere close.

5. oakmag

oakmag New Member

That's what I figured as well. I was wondering if anyone had heard of this or had experience with these types of targets. Thanks for the replies.

6. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

I've shot spinners alot with my model 92 .38/.357. They are a real kick if your action is smooth enough to keep them spinning. I've never had a problem with anything coming back at me. I say check them out.