Revolvers the Ultimate Reliable Handgun what's your Opinion?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by CAMCHAMPION1988, Oct 17, 2011.

1. CAMCHAMPION1988

CAMCHAMPION1988 New Member

Iv'e Never had a jam/failure to feed or failure to eject with any of my Glocks in 9mm,.45acp, Models 17,19,26 and 21,30. Glock is not paying me by the way to promote them they should hehehehe. I have had jams with HK's expensive 1911'S,Sig Sauers. But the only other thing i can think of never jamming is my S&W 686 .357magnum Revolver Now i know why my Grandfather preffered Wheel Guns.

But yeah i believe that Revolvers truly are the only thing that will go bang every time. Other than my Glocks Anything can fail keep in mind but with magazine fed semi's you have springs of the magazine and feed ramps and quick action extractors. As well as numerous parts that can fail the more parts you have the more potential problems that can happen. I have fed dirty just disgusting ammo that was cheaper than a penny through my Glocks and never one failure. Believe it without cleaning for over a year there myth busted i can vouch for it.

Anyways if you think about it all you have to worry about in a Revolver is a DUD PRIMER AND OR DUD POWDER. I have never heard of the Cylinder Locking up on a Revolver but i guess anything can happen. In a Revolver I have heard of a chamber not lining up exactly with the barrel and a round exploding because the bullet hit part of the barrel wall. That is the only catastrophic failure i can see happening with a revolver. But other than that you pull that trigger the cylinder revolves,cocks the hammer and drops the hammer every time. How do you guys feel about a Revolver for a go to Gun?

2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yes they are !!!!!!!!!!

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am just a hobby shooter and I have one revolver and one semi-auto. I really like my revolver and I would like to add more revolvers to my gun collection. I like their dependability and I like the way they look. I would like to have a snubby revolver.

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I have and shoot both semi and revolvers. I like both designs and both have their place in the world. I have never had a lock up on my revolvers and neither has anyone I know. I have had jams on my semi autos but with a quick rack of the slide it is back in action, with a revolver lock up though you need to take it to a gunsmith and have them fix it. So you give and take. Any man made device can fail, so best thing to do is proper maintence and inspection. I do carry a S&W 642 alot especially in the summer, but when winter roles around thats when the 1911 comes with me.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Never say never.
    One lockup I've seen with a revolver was with a factory squib load. The primer push the bullet out into the forcing cone, but not far enough to allow the cylinder to open.

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Like dan said, "Never say never".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hd9tkiS9aY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]S&W 686 (Close-Up) - YouTube[/ame]

7. OC357

OC357 New Member

I have had both autoloaders and revolvers. I like autoloaders but prefer revolvers. I have had autoloaders work flawlessly but didn't like certain brands of ammo. Sometimes an autoloader can be finneky with the type of ammo you are using. This is my experience.

Now I just have revolvers and prefer magnums for their versatility. I have never had a problem with a revolver...(yet). No matter the ammo brand, bullet type, 38,38+p or magnum loads etc.

Just my opinion.

OC

8. fmj

fmj New Member

there is a really good discussion or two floating around here somewhere on this very subject.

I DO LOVE my 686!!
    [​IMG]

9. NativH

NativH New Member

I did have the timing go off on my Taurus 606 (6 shot 357 snub) and had to send it back to the factory for rework. Thing would spit jacketing out the side of the cylinder on every shot. A rather painfull affair and disconcerting to say the least. Got it back beautifully polished and it shoots perfectly ever since. Bottom line is that something can go wrong with any mechanical object.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

I agree. I want a 1911 badly, but there are so many options with revolvers a man could just stick to them and build a collection to sink a battleship.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

IF those were reloads, then that video is irrelevant. I've yet to see a owners manual that says it's okay to shoot reloads, if there is one, please notify me.

12. fmj

fmj New Member

the ones i have say its ok..but cation must be taken.

13. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Agreed, but the point of sharing the video was to show that revolvers can indeed jam.

14. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 New Member

I have both, and like to shoot both; but when it comes to self or home defense, it's primarily the .357 revolver. In a true close quarters fight, racking a slide a second time is rarely an option... whoever's gun doesn't go bang loses the fight by default.

I will carry my .45 auto, but it also has second-strike capability, where a second trigger pull will strike the primer a second time if the primer is bad or it didn't strike it hard enough the first time. But, ultimately, it's still striking the same round a second time; so if it's truly a dud, a second strike of the same primer isn't going to help, and racking the slide again is going to be necessary to feed another round. To me, that equals dead. A second trigger pull of a revolver will spin the cylinder to a new round every time as fast as you can pull it; so that's ideal for true self-defense.

I will not carry any striker-fired pistols, and have seen too many accidents, even by the best-trained operators around, to even consider one for primary self-defense. I will take one to the range and shoot for fun, but I won't bet the lives of me or mine on one. And I have seen plenty of autos go "click" instead of "bang"; failures to feed either because of ramp design or cartridge/bullet design; failures to eject; stovepipes, etc... from every maker, including Glock and Sig.

The latest rage of DAO autos make no sense to me whatsoever. They have no advantages at all, and even do away with the few advantages an auto has. People appreciated autos because they normally allowed for greater capacity, rapid rate of fire, and improved accuracy via a single-action trigger pull. A DAO auto essentially works just like a revolver, except you can't pull the hammer back to fire it single action; and even worse, if there's a failure to fire, it also doesn't move to the next cartridge... meaning, of course, the dreaded re-racking of the slide that might get you killed in a true emergency.

Additionally, the capacity of most of these isn't that much greater than what can be had in a revolver anyway. I carry a 617 snubby, which holds 7 rounds of .357... which is about what the new breed of micro DAO autos hold of smaller caliber rounds.

Legitimate altercations in which self-defense becomes necessary as a last resort typically take place inside 20 feet... if I can't dispatch my adversary with 7 shots, I probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. If my adversary doesn't go down after 7 shots of .357, then he's either wearing kevlar or he's superhuman, and 15 shots of 9mm aren't going to drop him either.

The ONLY advantage of a micro DAO pistol is weight; and because that has never bothered me, regardless of how long I carry my gun, it's no advantage at all to me personally. Other folks may have legitimate needs for a lighter carry pistol; and there must surely be many out there who do because of the sheer numbers of them being sold... I just don't have a need or desire for one. If I want a smaller carry pistol that's an auto, it will be something with all the advantages an auto provides and a hammer, like a Beretta Px4 subcompact... and even then, it still wouldn't be my go-to handgun.

15. fmj

fmj New Member

a fine example, but he got LUCKY the bullet didnt unseat further than it did. another case for a good solid crimp on your reloads.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

The last I heard Smith and Wesson will void the warranty if you shoot reloads through it. I have no manual of my own though, and can't verify for myself. I guess I should download/request one shouldn't I?

17. fmj

fmj New Member

Hmmm now you make me think i need to dig out my 686 box and go thru the manual....i cant even think where the box is stashed it been so long:eek:

18. fmj

fmj New Member

In bold red letters at the top of the page reads as follows.

WARNING: NEVER USE NON-STANDARD, RELOADED OR "HANDLOADED" AMMUNITION WHICH HAS NOT BEEN SUBJECTED TO INTERNAL BALLISTIC PRESSURE TESTING. RELOADED OR HANDLOADED AMMUNITION, MAY HAVE MANY MANUFACTURING AND QUALITY VARIABLES (SUCH AS THE TYPE AND AMOUNT OF GUN POWDER). ANY AMMUNITION THAT IS IMPROPERLY MANUFACTURED, EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST DEGREE, MAY FAIL TO FIRE OR MAY GENERATE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURES WHICH CAN DAMAGE OR EVEN RUPTURE THE FIREARM, CAUSING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH TO THE SHOOTER OR THOSE IN THE IMMEDIATE VICINITY.

nothing about voiding warranty just lawyer/liability jibberish for the idiots among us.

But i did learn +P+ should not be used in Smith revolvers...not that i would/do anywho...just good to know.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Either way, it says don't use it. I'd bet they still wouldn't fix it under warranty though!

20. fmj

fmj New Member

I doubt any manufacturer would...its not a manufacturing defect but a user defect. In other words, it aint their fault your an idiot and double charged a cartridge.

One reason i like 2400...cant double charge a 357 or 44 case....well at least not without having powder dumping all over. Hard not to notice powder all over your leg/floor/bench.