Firearms Talk banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts
well I have on layaway a new ruger lcp 2 380acp even tho I love revolvers! and own a few but this little semiauto was a nice compact easy to carry pistol so I went with it for going to get my concealed carry permit with so anyone shoot, carry one of these ruger lcp 2 380acp and how do you like it?
Not the LCPII but the original LCP. Carries well in a Stick Pocket holster, but it is not a take to the range and shoot 3 boxes through it type of pistol. The one I have is accurate enough, but you may have to use Kentucky Windage for a precise hit, as the sights are fixed. Trigger is about like a good DA revolver with a fauir bit of take up, then the last little bit to go bang.

For SD distances, it works, but buy a bigger auto to train with. your wrist and the webbing between your thumb and index finger will thank you.

A good all around option would be the SCCY CPX or the Bersa thunder\Thunder Plus in .380.

just one minor correction on this. There is no reholstering. Only holstering. If you are in a situation where you needed that weapon, you will have it out until the threat, all of it, and it's possible friends, are no longer a threat. at that point, you will be able to safetly holster your weapon. Reholster implies not needing it, holstering it, and then having to redraw.

Doing it that way is a good way to get dead, so keep it out until there is no longer need to use it.
Knit pick, Knit pick!!!:p
But you are wrong again!;) Holstering is holstering in one sence, but 're holstering' occurs when you have to hastily (under stress) 'RE HOLSTER' either in training or a real life shoot out and give aid or move to another point or a different weapon. When you are in a 'safe' environment and 'holster' there should be no problem as you are not under stress then!!!;) And yes, in the real world of LE we have to RE holster and the RE draw on a regular basis in both training and real life!:)

Discussion starter · #43 ·
If you have not had a revolver jam or malfunction you have not shot one enough. Primer backed out of a factory round and locked it up tight. A tiny piece of crud got behind the ejector star on a reload and the cylinder would not close. Primer only factory load pushed the bullet just into the barrel and locked the cylinder. Would have been worse in a semi auto racking a new round into a blocked barrel. Uncrimped bullet walked out and locked up the cylinder. I have had bad primers on revolvers and semi autos. Good idea to keep caliber size hardwood dowels in the shooting bag.
Great comment * great comment * great comment.

We live in a rural area, I have no need for a full size 1911A1 with 3 or 4 extra mags.
Also, 99% of the time I wear jeans. I own one pair of slacks for formal occasions.:D
I'm an old timer and left handed, so revolvers have always been easier for me to use, so for a number of years my carry guns were either a Taurus 605 .357 magnum, or a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special.
But the ability to quickly reload was a concern, even with HKS speed loaders.
So I have added a Ruger LCP2 to the line up and now carry that the majority of the time.
For an old "blue steel and walnut" big bore guy, the Ruger is certainly different, but with no safety to manipulate it is strictly point-and-click just like my revolvers.

Reactions: Dallas53
We live in a rural area, I have no need for a full size 1911A1 with 3 or 4 extra mags.
Also, 99% of the time I wear jeans. I own one pair of slacks for formal occasions.:D
I'm an old timer and left handed, so revolvers have always been easier for me to use, so for a number of years my carry guns were either a Taurus 605 .357 magnum, or a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special.
But the ability to quickly reload was a concern, even with HKS speed loaders.
So I have added a Ruger LCP2 to the line up and now carry that the majority of the time.
For an old "blue steel and walnut" big bore guy, the Ruger is certainly different, but with no safety to manipulate it is strictly point-and-click just like my revolvers.
another good option to consider. I carry mine quite often at 8:00, with one of the other pistols at 3:00. Found out about the model when it came out, from a range trip with a friend who's a Southpaw.

makes a good weak side BUG.

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/southpaw

got my ruger lcp 2 yesterday and wow! I really like it more after shooting it! it's a great pistol! I bought a box of the cheapest 380acp ammo I could get at Walmart the Russian made steel case with 91gr zinc washed bullet and man it spit them out with tight groups on the cardboard I was shooting into, and it never jammed or anything functioned perfectly! ;)

got my ruger lcp 2 yesterday and wow! I really like it more after shooting it! it's a great pistol! I bought a box of the cheapest 380acp ammo I could get at Walmart the Russian made steel case with 91gr zinc washed bullet and man it spit them out with tight groups on the cardboard I was shooting into, and it never jammed or anything functioned perfectly! ;)
I was impressed with mine as well. I took it out in our back yard to make sure it was going to carry it.
I tried what the Ace Hardware in town had in stock - Fiochii hardball and Hornady FTX. Both fed fine from the mag that came with the gun and the Ruger factory extra mag I bought.
Man, that sucker is loud!!

For those who don't know, the LCP2 was designed to overcome shortcomings in the original. Better shaped grip, bolt hold open on last round, better sights, better trigger.

It is fine for my purpose as a pocket pistol. I found a nylon belt pouch for a knife at Ace that fit the extra mag perfectly. It rides on my off side right next to the fixed blade sheath knife I always wear.
The pistol comes with a pocket holster, and when it's in my jean pocket you can't even tell there is anything in there.

Oh, one bad thing is the dreaded Ruger factory magazine price.
One spare cost $34.99 plus shipping.

I just re-read your question and I'm out in left field with a catcher's mitt.

Didn't realize SA meant semi automatic.

SA always means to me a Single Action. Didn't dawn on me why you separated revolvers from SA.

Sorry to jump in wrong thread!

Bob Wright
Hey Bob, sometimes I will carry either my new model blackhawk that is in my avatar or my vaquero. They both use the same holster you see in the pic. You are not alone. And quite frankly I think it would be scary as hell to look down the barrel of my 45 Colt Vaquero.

S&W model 637, Airweight , 38 special +P . this model has a hammer. Carried since 2005. I tried the hammerless DAO guns and just do not like them....my guns all have a hammer so I can cock, uncock or shoot DA.
A hammer on a carry gun is not an issue...at least for me.

I would not feel uncomfortable armed with my old three screw Ruger Blackhawk, some fast and accurate shooting can be done with one ! The airweight is just lighter for pocket carry.
Gary

If you have not had a revolver jam or malfunction you have not shot one enough. Primer backed out of a factory round and locked it up tight. A tiny piece of crud got behind the ejector star on a reload and the cylinder would not close. Primer only factory load pushed the bullet just into the barrel and locked the cylinder. Would have been worse in a semi auto racking a new round into a blocked barrel. Uncrimped bullet walked out and locked up the cylinder. I have had bad primers on revolvers and semi autos. Good idea to keep caliber size hardwood dowels in the shooting bag.
When I got my 1st revolver, I had the same problem with crud behind the ejector star. I had 2 range offers look at it and no one knew what was wrong. I cleaned it when I got home, and cleaned up a lot of residue from the star. Gun has worked fine since. I had fired 100 re-manufactured rounds the range sold. It was back when ammo was hard to find. I had cleaned it before the range trip, so the 100 rounds did the stoppage. In a life or death situation, it would have been bad. At least now I know where to check if it ever occurred again.

a full-size 1911. I dress and holster properly for carry. The only thing in my front pants pocket is my pocket knife and loose change.

If i were to become to feeble to carry a 1911, i would probably go with an airweight revolver, but still carried in a proper holster that consistently kept it in the exact same position.

I don't like the idea of carrying a pistol so that it can point at the the family jewels. Not that they are often used for their intended purpose, but if shot away, you can bleed to death in a two shakes. (no pun intended)
wabohs!!!!!!!!!!!

I carry both,but mostly revolvers.

Groo here
I reserve my revolvers [SA and DA] to field ,or country use and use an auto for "city".
Also I quit carrying a revolver in anything less than 357 mag [full power]
Not because they don't work as well as a 9mm, but because they work better.
Big bore revolvers are shot differently than a lower powered auto.
We use double-tap because of the failings of the 38spec and the 9mm [IN THE BEGINING]
But the heavy revolver was taught , "one good center hit"
This reflects the difference in recoil and effect .
The "city" gun is an auto because the BG are starting to run in pacts.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.