Firearms Talk banner

Revolvers or SA for CCW?

5K views 57 replies 31 participants last post by  Dallas53 
#1 ·
CCW QUESTION:

Do you carry a revolver or semi-automatic?
Whats your current EDC?

Thanks much.

#2 ·
I have several that I carry at different times. My most common carry gun now is a Kahr CM9 in a pocket holster in my front pocket. But I sometimes carry a 38+p S&W airweight revolver.

#3 ·
Usually carry a Glock 43, but on business trips with the business attire on I have a 638 air weight that I carry in an uncle mikes in the front right pocket, it will prints sometimes, but I will look for some better pocket holsters for it that may be stiffer.

So far I love em both, little weary about about only having 5 shots and having to reload, but it is better than nothing given the circumstances.

#4 ·
Either/or, depending on the weather and my dress. If I'm wearing shorts, my Model 49 J frame rides in a cargo pocket. If I'm wearing jeans, my Shield 45's in an IWB holster.

#5 ·
My two prime carries are a S&W J38 with .38 + P in a Don Hume pocket holster. The firearm does not print with that holster at all. My other prime is a S&W 9 mm Shield in an IWB holster.

I have an extra mag carrier for the Shield, and will often carry a Bianchi strip with 5 additional bullets in another pocket for the .38.

I live in Florida, am retired and I am generally in shorts or jeans. I have no problem carrying either firearm in either set of attire.

#6 ·
Been carrying Glock 19 for several years. Gave the S&W 442 a try for a while. It was light and compact but just not my cup
of tea. Didn't like the trigger, capacity or reload times. Guess I'm a SA guy.

Currently moving toward a Beretta Px4 Compact for carry, as I'm shifting to Appendix carry and decided a DA/SA pistol may be a bit better suited to that style of carry.

Have a Glock 26 and Ruger LCP for times that require a sub compact. Glock 17, M&P 40, Sig P226 or P220 for when a service sized pistol can work.

#11 ·
Have a couple or three J frame S&Ws with 38 Special +P. Also have a couple of autos- a Ruger LCP and a ParaOrdnance C 7/45. If I want to go larger frame, probably my Browning Hi-Power.

Depends on what I am wearing. Summer time, T shirt and cargo shorts, small gun with pocket holster. On the boat where I may get wet, polymer framed auto.

#12 ·
i say never limit your options. options are always good. and the more options the better.
Have a couple or three J frame S&Ws with 38 Special +P. Also have a couple of autos- a Ruger LCP and a ParaOrdnance C 7/45. If I want to go larger frame, probably my Browning Hi-Power.

Depends on what I am wearing. Summer time, T shirt and cargo shorts, small gun with pocket holster. On the boat where I may get wet, polymer framed auto.
Pretty much covers my take on it, as the destination, attire, and general mood of the day dictate my cary choices. most often, it is a small 9 MM, like my LC9, which the wife has adopted as hers, the Kel-tec PF9 she bought for me last month, the G19, or the SP101 in warmer weather, and either one of my 1911s, the 686, the GP100, and from time to time, my grandfather's old Official Police in colder weather.

On a bike run, sanctioned or hosted by a local RC\MC the G19, or the Rossi 941. midnight towing job, usually go auto, but I keep a BUG in the truck or on me, usually in the same caliber. Same with Repo jobs, as even deadbeats don't like having their $#!+ stolen from them, even though they don't want to pay for it (last one, back in November, was close to a year behind in his payments, and booted the car behind a fence on his property. I served the notice while the room mate hooked up, and had to draw gown on him and his son when they came out with baseball bats I was glad i had the G19 that night, with the LC9 as a BUG.) I've also carried the GP100 and the 686, OC on those nights, with the room mate carrying the other on him.

Ride out in the country, more often than not, it's a revolver and a couple speed loaders\strips. Around the house and in the yard, most often the OP or the 941. just depends on the day, and the plans.

i like having options, and the ability to taylor my EDC items to the day, and the task at hand.

#13 ·
Both, as the dress dictates. A 38 S&W 642 in the pocket when I wear shorts and T, other wise a mid size auto, S&W 3913! :)

#14 ·
A full-size 1911. I dress and holster properly for carry. The only thing in my front pants pocket is my pocket knife and loose change.

If I were to become to feeble to carry a 1911, I would probably go with an Airweight revolver, but still carried in a proper holster that consistently kept it in the exact same position.

I don't like the idea of carrying a pistol so that it can point at the the family jewels. Not that they are often used for their intended purpose, but if shot away, you can bleed to death in a two shakes. (no pun intended)

#15 ·
Lately it's been a FN 5.7, with combat sights. They weigh only
1.6 pounds, with 21 rounds. Easy to control, fast on the draw,
comfortable. Just a great carry, for a full-size. I kind of wish they had a
compact version. Say 12 rounds, at .8 pounds.

But I have been shopping for a S&W M69.

#19 ·
This time of year it is either my ruger sr9c or ruger lcp in a pocket holster. The lcp is usually there regardless.

#20 ·
Both. In summer usually a pocket carry Bodyguard. (auto)
When I can wear a cover garment a J frame in a shoulder holster.
More often than not it's the auto. Whatever you choose to carry make sure you practice with it.

#21 ·
I don't like the idea of carrying a pistol so that it can point at the the family jewels. Not that they are often used for their intended purpose, but if shot away, you can bleed to death in a two shakes. (no pun intended)
Right holster make a big difference in directing the muzzle away from the twig and berries. Draw and holstering technique also make a big difference. But I wouldn't want a single action with a 1/16 inch trigger travel in my pants either pointing at my "boys". 1911s, when I carry one usually ride in a outside the waistband holster, but I pretty much don't carry 1911s any more. If I want a .45 single stack to carry, I usually opt for my Sig P220. Just a tad lighter in overall weight, and it is a point and shoot pistol without the need for me to manipulate anything but the trigger.

Lately I've really come to appreciate the DA/SA autoloader with a decocker.

#22 ·
Varies with the situation but at this time of year it is usually a laser grip 638 revolver front right pocket. I am old and slowing down. If I get into an altercation it is more likely to be up close and personal. I might have to jam the gun into the attacker.

#23 ·
:confused:

semi auto for one reason only.

semi auto you will always get one to go bang. pocket debris, lint, foreign objects, or clothing can jam a cylinder stop it rotating and prevent a revolver from going bang. revolvers never jamming is yet another ginormous myth. when a semi jams, tap rack or change mags and rack the slide will clear 99.99% of all failures. when a revolver jams, it general takes tools to clear.

there is a reason revolvers are not used as any service weapon in any army on the planet since ww2

semis may jam but the round in the chamber will go bang everytime.

i carry either an fn509, beretta m9a3, or fn five-seven.

#24 ·
:confused:

semi auto for one reason only.

semi auto you will always get one to go bang. pocket debris, lint, foreign objects, or clothing can jam a cylinder stop it rotating and prevent a revolver from going bang. revolvers never jamming is yet another ginormous myth. when a semi jams, tap rack or change mags and rack the slide will clear 99.99% of all failures. when a revolver jams, it general takes tools to clear.

there is a reason revolvers are not used as any service weapon in any army on the planet since ww2

semis may jam but the round in the chamber will go bang everytime.

i carry either an fn509, beretta m9a3, or fn five-seven.
JonM,

I won't try to discourage your choice, but the auto pistol is not that all fired reliable, either. Faulty ammunition, especially a dud primer does require a tap-rack move. Also a pistol that has for one reason or another been forced out of battery will not fire. A missed safety of guns so equipped and nothing happens.

First of all, my gun is not likely to be subject to lint nor foreign matter, though lint is not sufficient to bind the cylinder.

And, I might point out, in the event of a dud primer, a swift cocking of the hammer and pull of the trigger brings up a quick follow up, without the two-handed immediate action required of an auto loader.

I feel more comfortable with a big bore Single Action revolver on my hip, you feel more comfortable with an auto loader. Neither one is infallible.

Bob Wright

#25 ·
revolver or semi-auto, if they have moving parts, they can fail. nothing that is mechanical is immune from failing.

having spent almost my entire life at repairing various types of equipment, i have found this to be a fact of life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.