Revolvers, because I don't trust my life to a RECOIL SPRING.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by MichSteve, Apr 14, 2011.

1. MichSteve

MichSteve New Member

Wow, what an eye opener, I have two carry guns that are down for repair, one new in the last 6 months Glock 19 gen4, the other is a bug 380 that was new this week and it failed out of the box.

Both guns down for a recoil spring, makes you think, we bet our lives on a spring that has a life expectancy of a 1,000 rounds or so, in my case both new guns and defective springs.

While both are down I am glad I have a trusty S&W 642 to carry and a Kahr PM9 that has been flawless for 800 rounds, the Glock 19 has not been reliable enough to even carry yet with 400 rounds.

Revolvers can break, I have to admit I have never had any of mine break over the past 40 years.

That Ruger SP-101 that I have had my eye on might just replace the G19.

Just Saying we trust our lives to a couple of springs.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

which 380 your having issues with??

your just trading one thing for another ;) revolvers rely on delicate timing pawls and hands instead of recoil springs heh. half dozen of one or another

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate spring mishap. Yes, I like carrying a revolver as much as a semi.

4. MichSteve

MichSteve New Member

The 380 is a Master Piece Arms Protector 380.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

never heard of that one

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Both a machines and all machines can fail. I understand where you're coming from but I think I'll keep my 1911 around and allow my wife to back me up with her revolver.

7. WDB

WDB New Member

Might be your choice of Semi autos or just bad luck. The Master Piece Arms Protector 380 is tiny (even 0n the .380 scale) and I expect will always have issues. I have a few semi autos that have a high round counts on that don't show any signs of the springs weakening. Much like the shocks on your car they are built to take lot of use before they no longer work properly. I carry a semi auto most of the time but my lite carry is a S&W 642 and my hunting/hiking/camping sidearm is a S&W 586.

8. WDB

WDB New Member

9. ruddy

ruddy New Member

Gee, don't revolvers have springs, too?

10. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

ill take that 19 off your hands. :) seriously let me know p.m.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Exactly. That 642 is not a whole lot of good if the rebound slide spring fails or locks up.

And welcome aboard, Ruddy!

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

"Revolvers, because I don't trust my life to a RECOIL SPRING."

Had to respond to the heading, I have often heard this and thought what? don't revolvers have moving parts? I have never had a problem with any of my semi-autos that a re-rac of the slide didn't fix pronto. So I bought my first revolver this past Christmas a S&W model 629 .44mag took it to the range and on the second shot the firing pin broke and the cylinder, hammer and trigger locked up tight, it was broke and there was no fixing it, so had I been in a life threating situation I would have probably been killed, so I sent it back to S&W they fixed it pretty quick, I take it back to the range and fire44 shots and on the 45th the firing pin breaks again and it all locks up just like before, well S&W replaced it, and so far its holding up pretty well after several hundred shots of various types of ammo, but I'm just saying if it's Man-made it can fail no matter what it is.

13. StymieJ

StymieJ New Member

I think we can all agree that if it is a machine with moving parts it can break down. Sometimes it seems even gun makers send out a lemon. But as examples I have a Beretta 9000 and Neos both with over 2000 rounds and no issues. Heck, I have a Hi Point C9 with over 3500 rounds and no sign of slowing down. And that's on a gun that cost $150 N.I.B. With these I could say I have no problems relying on a spring. However, given Murphy's Law I tend to always carry a small backup because I know things go wrong at the worst times. And yes, most of the time my backup is a snubby but occasionally it's just a small pocket semi. :cool:

14. Spider

Spider New Member

New guy chiming in on the revolver vs semi-auto discussion.

My experience is that revolvers are more reliable over several boxes of ammo than autos. It seems like a coincidence as I read this thread, because I left the range with a nice new Kimber .45 last week, after several trips with that weapon, very disappointed.

I read in the manual that 500 rounds is recommended as a "break in" for the weapon before complete reliability can be expected, but as time went on and several trips out there and about 1200 rounds into shooting the thing I gave up. No stove pipes, but hang-fires about every other magazine or so, adding up to dozens. The slide just would not feed all the way forward, resulting in the new round being partially chambered and having to pound on it with the heel of my hand sometimes several times before I could get it to fire. Also, because of the way it stuck, the safety could not be engaged, a truly hazardous situation and I was lucky it was happening at the range and not in an emergency situation of any kind.

I took it back to the store here in town and they took it into their indoor testing range. They came out telling me it was defective and offered a refund or another weapon, anything I wanted in the price range. I took the money.

I've had 1911s stove pipe, Rugers and even a darned Glock. But I've never, ever had an issue with any revolver I've shot. I'm very careful about cleaning and maintenance, and not over oiling etc. The only revolver problem I had was a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spl that I'd handloaded way to hot: blew the top strap off at the range and I learned my lesson about trying to get magnum specs out of a non-magnum weapon. ;)

But I have to say that I'm wary of autos in self defense now, and always carry my favorite revolver, a nice heavy (by today's standards), but stubby Rossi:

[​IMG]:)

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Wooops, recoil spring.

[​IMG]

16. MichSteve

MichSteve New Member

Tell me will this spring give you stove pipes or fail to chamber a round, it would have to break to cause a failure, which it could, my trouble with the recoil spring in my G19 is the gun is new the spring is new and it jams.

17. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Not exactly. The function of that spring is to return the trigger to the forward position. It has no effect on bringing another round into battery, and it has no effect on firing pin strike quality.

Even if this spring fails the trigger can be returned to the forward position by placing your trigger finger behind the trigger and pushing it forward. Do you want to know something really funny? This action can be performed without even taking the sights off target.

So how do I know this? I had another auto-loader fan argue this point with me a few years back. To prove my point I removed the rebound spring from my S&W Mod 19, put it in my pocket, reassembled the weapon and fired the PPC course against the clock. My 7 yard 12 round time did drop from my average 11 seconds to 13 seconds, but no shots were outside the K5 area at any distance using both strong and weak hand.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

We, overly defensive are, hmm? Yes, hmmm.

[​IMG]

I think you missed my sarcastic point. [UPDATE: Upon reflection, and after reviewing both of your post counts/start dates, it is evident that you have not sampled my, albeit poorly executed, wit long enough to appreciate/reject its value. To that point this follow-up sarcastic dog piling will be of little value. And for you Steve, being from SPO infested Swartz Creek; you'll just need to take notes to keep up. :D:D:D (< Please note smiley's.)]

I'll try to dumb it down a little the next time.

At minimum, add a smiley.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  19. calaverasslim

calaverasslim New Member

strong recommendation. Order Wolf springs for each and every auto you own. Then, by and large, your issues will be taken care of.

20. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Not here to rag on your firearms as I'm not sure what you have done to/with them....but in-efficient product parts is why companies make aftermarket parts...