Revolver soaked in vegetable oil!!!

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by LibertyGunworks, Dec 16, 2012.

1. LibertyGunworks

LibertyGunworks New Member

So I have come into possession of a revolver that was "preserved" in cooking oil. It's not oily, but rather covered in a sticky goo like that around a deep fryer. I can manually scrub the parts I can get at but even disassembled I can't get everything. I've tried boiling the parts and even automotive brake parts cleaner, with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? *Cheap little .22, not worth spending much money on.

2. kaido

kaido New Member

I don't remember what it's called, but you usually find it in a red tub looking thing in most shops. Mechanics use it to clean oil off of their hands as well as off parts of what ever it is there cleaning. I want to call it varnish, but that's diffidently not it.

Varsol!! If you've got any of it laying around your garage you could try some soaking it in that for a couple minutes. Another thing that's great for ratting grease is that stuff you buy in 1.5L orange jugs that has pumas in it.

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Dawn dishwashing detergent.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

just a fyi. never boil a gun!! it can easily get hot enough to change the tempering of steel parts making it unsafe to shoot. while water can only heat to about 210 degrees before it boils the pot can easily be MUCH hotter and so can the gun itself.

as you have discovered vegitable oil is a terrible thing to put on a gun. its not even good for cooking much of anything.

cooking oil is one of the hardest things to remove.

5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Kitchen degreasers like Fantastic or Amway Zoom. Dish washing detergent like Dawn will work but have their own additives. The citrus based cleaners would probably also work. Shop degreasers or solvent are meant to work on petro chemicals not vegetable based oils.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Fast orange would likely damage the finish. I would soak it in WD 40. Then give it good bath in dawn.

7. LibertyGunworks

LibertyGunworks New Member

JonM- I suspend the gun so it didn't touch the bottom and over heat.

I'll give the WD-40 a try since I'm certain it's safe. I'm having trouble getting this stuff off my hands even with fast orange. Does anyone have experience with kitchen cleaner use on their firearms? I need something that will go in and run this goo out of the nooks and crannies that I can't get to.

8. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

Try GunScrubber. It works miracles without even disassembling the the firearm!

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

maybe oven cleaner?? veggie oil is remarkable resiliant. the stuff that really works is commercial grade and is nearly 3$ an ounce.

current dawn dishwashing liquid now lacks the element that removes grease and oil curtesy of the epa...

you can also try glass top stove cleaner

heated sonic cleaner MIGHT work

last resort i would try a media polisher like a vibratory case cleaner but the gun would likely need refinishing after that.

soda blasting will definitaly remove it along with the the finish

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Just soak the gun in Kerosene it will come clean.:)

11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

kero sounds good. I was thinking engine degreaser.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Try one of those Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with Dawn. The hood over my stove was gooey, gummy and disgusting. This thing cleaned it with very little effort. I swear, these Magic Erasers are incredible. I don't know how they work but they do. I would try this.

http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/magic-eraser-kitchen-scrubber.do

13. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Gun threads are very fine. Becareful what you use to remove the cooking oil as it has entered the screw ports. You need a deep penetrating petro chem just soak it in Kerosene for a week it will free the screws. Kero has been used to clean badly rusted or coated firearms for years.:)

14. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Aero Kroil has an ability to penetrate many things, like copper fouling. If it doesn't work on vegetable oil, its nice to have.

15. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I'm a big fan of carb cleaner but I have no clue how it work on vegi oil

16. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Carb cleaner is very similar to brake cleaner.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Another vote for trying Kroil. That stuff is amazing to say the least. I like it so much I bought a gallon!

http://kanolabs.com/

18. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Naw, spend a few bucks to save yourself a hassle. I have a plating shop run my newly purchased cosmoline incrusted Mosin Nagants metal parts thru their degreaser/cleaning tanks.

19. unclebear

unclebear New Member

did not know that never really used break cleaner for anything, thanks for the info man appreciate it

20. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With the cleaners, be aware of citric acid which has an affect on bluing.

Carb cleaner (even with its hazards) is better.

Do you know of an old car mechanic? He may have a engine parts washer in his garage.

Don't rely on cleaners alone. Use more elbow grease to remove grease.