Revolver Smithing

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Salazar, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Salazar

Salazar New Member

Has anyone ever managed to take their revolver chamber, drill the holes so that a larger caliber can fit, and then changed the barrel to a larger caliber?

Is this very feasible or not?

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

NO

Very DANGEROUS idea !

Would change the strength/heat treat/design pressure levels of the cylinder and go down hill from there !

Whom ever would do it would assume complete liability for outcome and VOID original manufacturers liability and warranty.

Better to own one in each caliber you desire.

3. RePete

RePete New Member

Why would you bother?

Just buy another gun in the caliber that you want.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

revolver conversions

I have professionally converted several revolvers from .44 mag or .45Lc to .454 casull HOWEVER to do the job right(only way to do it)I machine a new cylinder from blank to 5 shot,replace barrel,adjust timing and lockup,etc. In NO WAY would I reccomend doing it with factory cylinder/barrel. There's a lot of good reasons to convert calibers such as if the model isn't available in that paticular caliber. For example,I like .454 casull in ruger blackhawk or redhawk-NOT super redhawk as the actions of these 2 are vastly different and double action pull is better in regular redhawk from design standpoint.

5. crossfire

crossfire New Member

rechambering/rebarrelling

At some point in their development nearly all wildcat rounds were done like this; refitting existing frames with correct bore barrels and rechambered cylinders. There is no 10mm revolver available, for example, but a Ruger .357 Blackhawk can be rechambered and rebarrelled to create one.

6. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member