Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever managed to take their revolver chamber, drill the holes so that a larger caliber can fit, and then changed the barrel to a larger caliber?

Is this very feasible or not?

·
Registered
426 Posts
NO

Very DANGEROUS idea !

Would change the strength/heat treat/design pressure levels of the cylinder and go down hill from there !

Whom ever would do it would assume complete liability for outcome and VOID original manufacturers liability and warranty.

Better to own one in each caliber you desire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why would you bother?

Just buy another gun in the caliber that you want.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
revolver conversions

I have professionally converted several revolvers from .44 mag or .45Lc to .454 casull HOWEVER to do the job right(only way to do it)I machine a new cylinder from blank to 5 shot,replace barrel,adjust timing and lockup,etc. In NO WAY would I reccomend doing it with factory cylinder/barrel. There's a lot of good reasons to convert calibers such as if the model isn't available in that paticular caliber. For example,I like .454 casull in ruger blackhawk or redhawk-NOT super redhawk as the actions of these 2 are vastly different and double action pull is better in regular redhawk from design standpoint.

·
Registered
237 Posts
rechambering/rebarrelling

At some point in their development nearly all wildcat rounds were done like this; refitting existing frames with correct bore barrels and rechambered cylinders. There is no 10mm revolver available, for example, but a Ruger .357 Blackhawk can be rechambered and rebarrelled to create one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts