Firearms Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,073 Posts
imdaveg said:
My wife and I are picking up our first firearm on Thursday (GP100), which of course means we're picking up a safe tomorrow. Looking for something that will eventually house two handguns.

Do you prefer the finger push combo safe or the scrolling number safe? Finger push seems easier to manage in the dark or hurry up situation.

We have a 12 and 9 year who obviously wouldn't know the combo.

Also, do you really need to store the gun and the ammo separately? If so, why?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
imdaveg
It could be a law ware you live that guns and ammo stay separated. I'm not sure of any state with that law tho. But other than that there is no reason to store them separately unless that's just what you won't to do. A few of my guns stay loaded at all times.

I would go for the biometric safe. That's what I'm going to git for my HD gun before my daughter starts walking around.

· Registered
2,073 Posts
imdaveg said:
The Wife would only let me get it if it was stored in a safe! Hahah no, I want it locked up too, at least while the kids are still in the house.

The ammo thing was a question on the CA handgun cert test. I got it right, but only because I knew its what they wanted to hear. If the gun is loaded in the safe with live ammo, what's the point of keeping it separate??
Well in my case all my ammo would not fit in my safe. All my guns don't even fit in my safe. Keeping guns locked up with kids is a must. If you don't you should walk into traffic. So good for you on being a responsible gun owner. (Or soon to be) I will definitely be buying a new safe before I even look at another gun.

You live in CA? That explains it. It is probably illegal to keep guns loaded and guns and ammo together there. And btw Congratulations on the gp-100.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.