Revolver Rattle

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by clr8ter, Mar 20, 2014.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I have a friend that just bought his wife a Ruger LCR, in 38 SPL +P. They're wondering if it's supposed to rattle. When given a shake, or tipped from L to R, you can hear it. He says it's pretty noticeable.

What do ya think?

2. motorcyclenut

motorcyclenut New Member

Just checked mine and yes, there is a little rattle. My LCR works great and I am not going to worry about it. I just won't go around shaking it! :)

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

How new is it? The gun in question is brand new, as of last Sat. I'm not really a revolver guy, so I don't know. Although, I would imagine like anything else, that there would have to be a certain amount of play, in order for it to work smoothly.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Does it rattle with the trigger pulled. Hard to tell on internal hammer guns. Easy for external hammer guns.

Its ok to have a little slop so long as it locks up tight as the cylinder spins into firing position as the hammer releases.

If yours is the interal hammer lcr contact ruger. External you can check it yourself.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

This kind of rattle is common in the LCRs. Ruger states it is innocent. It from the transfer bar.

6. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

"Don't do that."

Bob Wright

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, when the "Check Engine Light" comes on in your car, is the solution to put a piece of black tape over it?

8. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Only when I shake my Jeep.

Bob Wright

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Exactly. As I understand it, most modern revolvers will have a little rattle sound when shaken. This is the transfer bar. It is supposed to be slightly loose.

Unless you think the rattle is from the cylinder. There should be a little play, but it (the cylinder) shouldn't be audible.

10. Tell_Sackett

Tell_Sackett New Member

Nope. The proper way is to remove the bulb.:eek:

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Too technical for me. I just use the tape.

12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

This is exactly right.