revolver question

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by treevor, Feb 22, 2013.

1. treevor

treevor New Member

im a left handed pistol shooter and currently own a s&w .357 as my home defense gun but its made for right handed shooters. i was wondering if i could switch it around for left handed shooters?

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Being a lefty who has shot Smiths for decades, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The trigger is 100% ambidextrous. Proper speed loading requires both hands. No big deal.

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Do you have standard grips?

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Are you asking if the cylinder release could be put on the right and the cylinder could swing out to the right?If so i'm not going to comment,look at the gun closer and think about what you just asked. :D

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Charter Arms makes left hand revolvers. No you can not change it.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah- Get used to it- (that is NOT a sarcastic remark)---------

8. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The entire frame is built for right-handed operation. The cylinder could only open to the right if built that way from the start.

On the other hand, revolvers are not intended for high rates of fire, necessarily. So reloads will require you using your right hand to open the cylinder. If you want to stay with a Smith, you'll just need to train for those rare reloads.

9. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I think the OP might be eluding to grips with thumb rests. Don't really know?

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

No. The cylinder will not swing the other way. I am a lefty too. I have only shot one gun that was designed for us. It was a 22 bolt action rifle. It was during my hunter education class. It was kind of nice. But it didnt make me want to go buy one.

You can find left handed revolvers. But I would not buy one. I like to do a little trading now and then. You can forget about trying to trade off a left handed gun. That is why I built a right handed AR15.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The gun in my avitar is a S&W 586. It is a 357. I have practiced enough with it that I can relaod with speed loaders every bit as fast as a right handed person. Practice, Practice, Practice.

12. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

I only know of one truly ambidextrous .357 magnum revolver. MP-412 REX. Closest
    I've ever come to one is pictures.

13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm sorry to report that it can't be safely done. By the time you made all the modifications necessary you would have to make a totally different frame and mirror image machine many of the parts.

About your only realistic hope for a left handed handgun would be the ambidextrous models of some pistols, and even they are not true left handed firearms. They still eject on the right.

14. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Pun intended?

Rick, that gun is so.... Yes.

15. treevor

treevor New Member

oh i know this i have no problem shooting it left handed but it would just be nice if the cylinder opened towards my right hand instead of the opposite way if y'all understand what i mean.

16. treevor

treevor New Member

yessur best answer i got to be honest haha practice does make perfect i need to invest in a speed loader or two my son was just borne 2 days ago so i gota take care of him first $$$ is kinda tight

17. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

We get what youre saying, but were just trying to break the bad news lightly. It cant be safely done to an already produced revolver. Its an interesting idea, but since the majority of left handed revolver shooters seem to function fine with how it is now, so there probably wont be a change in revolvers in that sense in the near future. As Rick said " practice, practice, practicel".

Also, congrats on your new born! :)

18. Mario

Mario New Member

I am a lefty and I have a Ruger GP100. It has the release button on the left side. My Glock 23 also has the release button for the magazine on the left side. We as left handers have had to adapt to right handed tools all our lives.

It really is not a big deal. You just need to get used to it. You'll be able to shoot just as well as anyone else.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  19. Cheeseman

Cheeseman New Member

Funny, my SA's seem to be made for Left handers....:)

20. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

Right on.. I didn't know my single six was made for left handers either.. I must have got used to it :)