Revolver Metal, cleaning Under the Grips?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by guitarngunguru, Mar 30, 2013.

1. guitarngunguru

guitarngunguru New Member

Was just wondering what was the best stuff to clean the nasty gunk under the grips in a used revolver I bought a month ago? Its a taurus model 85 ultrlite titanium 38 special. Yeah i know a mouthful but its a great gun and want it fresh and clean..

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Won't Hoppes #9 get the gunk off? I always remove the grips when I clean my revolver so I can clean the whole gun.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I would say Hoppes #9 as well. You might want to use a brass brush to scrub it. I don't think titanium will scratch with a brass brush.

4. guitarngunguru

Right i have been seeing little white marks already on it and fear how bad that would get with a rough cleaning, titanium easy to polish you think? Thanks.

5. guitarngunguru

Thanks will do.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Titanium is fairly hard, though not as hard as some hardened steel alloys it is quite a bit harder than brass. I would think you can use anything that you would use on steel, but try it out on a hidden spot first (since you are cleaning under the grips this should not be a problem). Titanium also polishes well too, so you can polish up any scratches if you do make some.

7. jc191122

jc191122 New Member

I always just use a little #9 and a little bit of 00 steel wool (rub gently) and it should come right off.