Revolver Gurus.. educate me a bit if this is in any way significant

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bluez, Apr 25, 2020.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I still own one GP100 as well.
    Its the 3 inch.
    I used to own a few 4 inchers (and one 6 inch as well)
    Here is a pic of parts of my former collection, the 6 inch had been sold at that point.

100_0591b.jpg

And I noticed in close comparison that the top strap on the 3 incher is thinner than one th 4 incher
    Here is a my former 3 incher (have another one now, I was forced int he past to sell off guns to support unemployment) 100_0119b.jpg

And here is one of my former 4 inch GPs

100_0046.JPG

Not sure how apparent it in in these pics.. BUt if you hold both together its very noticeable that the top strap on the 3 inch gun is less thick and this also applied to the front of the fram where the barrels screws in.
    Now clearly less metal helps reduce weight and thats not a bad thing.. (I suspect the 4+ ounces difference in weight between the 4 inch and the 3 inch is only in part due to shorter barrel)

Now I want to speculate (or maybe be told by the Revolver Gurus on here), is the reason for this :

a) A design choice by Ruger since they expect the 3 inchers to generate less pressure than the 4 inch guns when using same ammo? (I know this is theoretically so, but surely the difference must be miniscule.. I see the ballistic chart for GP100 3 inch vs 4 inch velocities w/ same ammo and it appears the 3 inch gives up very little in velocity).?
    2) A design choice by Ruger ...Since they expect the 3 incher to be less likely to be used for hunting and therefore less likely to see the hottest loads?
    3) A design choice by Ruger to reinforce bringing down the weight since the 3 inch might actually be conceivably concealed carried at some point (which is nigh impossible with the 4 inch)..? Helping reduce the weight a tad more might complement the lesser length for conceal carry?
    4) A design choice by Ruger since a shorter barrel when dropped imposes less impact force on its mounting point in the frame ? (due to combination of less weight and less leverage by the barrel tip on the frame)..?
    5) A choice by Ruger since the 3 inch came out later and by then they had a lot of extra data and realized how much over-designed the 4+6 inch really were?

(BTW the forcing cone and the cylinder are identical among all 3 barrels lengths I have owned (3,4,6) and the frame strap and front part of the frame where the barrel is screwed in are the same thickness on the 6 inch as the 4 inch.)

Anyone more versed in Revolver science than me care to comment on which if any of these 5 factors might be the source of the difference?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  2. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

The 3 inch is a fixed sight gun. They streamlined them for carry. The top strap is not thinner, it's just contoured-so it looks that way.

OLD Ron, JTJ, Ghost1958 and 2 others like this.

3. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

i dunno.. I suppose it could be an illusion.. but I examined them quite closely.. back in the day.. the front of the frame where the barrel mounts into the frame also has less metal... :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    towboater likes this.
  4. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course it has less metal- it's contoured. The adjustable sight gun isn't.
    But the top strap is not thinner.

Ghost1958 and Gatoragn like this.
  5. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

What Bill said is correct. You’re comparing apples and oranges.

OLD Ron and Ghost1958 like this.
  6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Hmm.. ok, I am not sure understand.. :oops:

7. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Rugers tend to be overbuilt. I wouldn’t worry about them being unsafe. It is also possible that the smaller one is not intended to shoot “anything” , I’d look it up in the manual.

bluez and Ghost1958 like this.
  8. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Bluez I wouldn't give it another thought.
    Even if it isnt an optical illusion that Ruger revolver is built heavier and tougher than most any other brand of revolver you can buy.

Itll handle hot .357 loads likely longer than you'll be around to shoot them.

bluez likes this.
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas.. I was really just trying to chase down why the 3 inch would be lighter constructed in parts than the 4 inch and 6 inch..
    Its not an SP101.

Does anyone else here wish to speculate what the reason might be..?
    I outlined possible approaches in the original post.. I could also send my question to Ruger..

10. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

I think you're looking at the little mound where the rear sight cross pin sits. The 3" GP has a gutter sight so it's flat.
    As a matter of fact the new Python has the same Ruger style elevated rear sight base. Colt advertises it as "30 per cent more steel" and of course does not mention Ruger.

bluez likes this.
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you compare the old Security Six to the Service Six you will see the same thing. The top strap will look smaller but is just contoured. I will keep my Security Six 4" SS.

bluez and Ghost1958 like this.
  12. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

It is thinner. The muzzle will rise less on the 3", so to utilize the same sights and other accoutrements this is one of the things they did. I had a 6" Security Six and a 4 incher, and they did the same thing. I used to measure stuff like this when I had a question with a micrometer.

bluez likes this.
  13. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

When you add an adjustable sight you need to add more steel to compensate for the channel you are machining out to accommodate the separate sight. With a fixed sight you maintain top strap integrity so you need less metal. You can clearly see it with the Blackhawk an old Ruger Vaqueros too.

OLD Ron and bluez like this.
  14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Got it : )

Wambli likes this.
  15. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Investment cast means thicker.
    Not that thickness is fully indicative of strength.
    Guy in town screwed up some handloads.
    The Smith came apart. So did the Ruger.
    Was reported way back in the gun mags.

Just checked, ol boy been gone a couple yrs.
    Went squirrel hunting with him as a kid w my dad once.

He frequented a relatives diner.

One day, cold, windy, snow.......I saw a beat to hell CJ3B w no windshielf going down the road, no seat, dude wearing welding cap, sitting on an orange crate.

I had my CJ and caught up to him, yup...........it was Dave.

16. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Great, and I apologize, my first post was done in a hurry and I did not have the time to elaborate. Did not mean to be flippant about it so I hope it did not come across that way.

bluez likes this.