Revolver for the Wife

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by JoshH, May 10, 2012.

1. JoshH

JoshH New Member

So I'm looking to get a revolver for my wife. She does not shoot much, in fact I've only gotten her to come out 5 times! But she is willing to take the class and get a CWP and put in more range time after some convincing. What's your opinion on a good revolver for a smaller woman?

2. JoshH

JoshH New Member

This will be mostly a purse carry weapon btw.

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Can't go wrong with a S&W lady smith .38. Bought my mother one back when i left the nest and she loves it. They make em in both traditional and hammerless models

4. JoshH

JoshH New Member

It's funny you mention a Ladysmith because I was just looking at a couple of those. I like the look & of course S&W makes a good gun. What did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

5. pinklady00

pinklady00 New Member

Why a revolver?

6. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

I think it was $280 new, but that was years ago and prices seem to be a bit lower in PA than other places, not sure what they go for now

7. JoshH

JoshH New Member

I'm thinking they are going for a bit more now:) And I like a DA revolver for the simplicity and also because my wife struggled racking the slide on my kel-tec pf9 and I think it would be easier for her to maneuver. I really need to get her to a LGS to feel out some different guns I guess. Have you guys or gals run into any mid caliper guns with a lighter slide?

8. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

If your wife is not going to be happy with it nor want to shoot it much, then she would be better off with a can of pepper spray.

Ergo if you had to convince her to do it, it is probably not a good idea.

Having said that, I agree with a .38 of some size.

9. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Smaller hands, fingernails, less strength to rack a slide, less familiarity with how a semi-auto works, those are all reasons why many women prefer a revolver, and why for these women a revolver is a great choice.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take a look at the used market.
    There are a lot of people who think the semi-auto is the answer in their quest for the perfect handgun and will sell a revolver cheaply.

(Hint: Take her to the LGS and let her check out some. It'll give you an idea on what she wants, not what you think she wants.)

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My wife chose a S&W J frame airweight 38 spl.

Be sure to check out the Ruger LCR, it was not available when my wife chose the Smith.

12. pinklady00

pinklady00 New Member

Agreed! Let her get more comfortable first.

13. pinklady00

pinklady00 New Member

I ask because when I first started, I hated revolvers. I had small hands, long acrylic nails, but still preferred a handgun. To this day, still do.

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

http://www.corneredcat.com/What_Gun_for_a_Woman/

15. Richz99

Richz99 New Member

16. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I have agree with this one. I don't normally recommend Rossi/Taurus, but I have this model and it has been good to me. My wife likes it as well. Her mother also has one as a home defense weapon.

And out of all of my higher priced and better named weapons, this one sits right on my nightstand every night, loaded with Winchester .38+p JHP

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You could also look at the Charter Arms revolvers. Made in USA and lifetime warranty. The Lite series are around 12 oz unloaded and the steel are 20 oz unloaded. Their pink lady along with some other colors have been very popular with the ladies. Available with or without hammer spurs. You can also look at the Ruger LCR in 38spl. It has possibly the best trigger of the hammer-less revolvers. Also very light with a polymer frame. The S&W Bodyguard revolvers have a built in laser at a good price point but have had mixed reviews.
    Semi auto pistols with exposed hammers are easier to rack if you cock the hammer first. the Sig 238 is the best recommendation I can give in the mini guns but she would have to learn to operate the safety. Most of the 380 mouse guns are miserable to shoot and practice suffers. The Sig 238 is fun to shoot.
    Most of all it is her gun and she has to be the one to choose it. You can give her some guidance so she does not get something she will hate after she shoots it. Do not start her off on +P ammunition. She needs something that wont beat her up. A hit with a light recoil load is better than a miss with a heavier load. If at all possible, test fire some different guns. Some ranges rent guns and the carry class should have range time with guns available.

18. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Handgun = revolvers + pistols

Pistols = semiautomatic handguns

Definition of pistol = chamber and cylinder together in once piece commonly called a "barrel" although in reality it is a barrel and a chamber fused together.

Definition of revolver = 4 to 8 independent chambers drilled into a revolving cylinder attached to a frame which has the barrel attached to the frame rather than attached to the chamber(s).

It's good that you prefer a *semiautomatic pistol/handgun* because those allow you to fire faster and with more cartridges loaded in their magazines. But most women shooters probably do not. It is way too easy to break a nail while loading a magazine or racking the slide to load a cartridge into the chamber.

But you're my kind of girl anway! Glad you like the semi-auto. I love mine. I mean true love. It protects me from anything on this Earth. Even from 50 of anything. That's how many cartridges I keep loaded on my pistol belt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  19. pinklady00

pinklady00 New Member

Lol you caught me without my coffee, I'll go haze myself for that mistake. :-D

I have no acrylics now, I shoot way too often to deal with the bull of cleaning my nails. I left the range last week with blisters on my fingertips. I teach at a range.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You mean those 9 and 10 shot revolvers dont exist?:D