Revolver for the wife

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by notoriousM3, Dec 3, 2010.

1. notoriousM3

notoriousM3 New Member

I'm no expert so Thats why I figured I would ask you knowlegable folks. I'm looking for a revolver for my wife for personal protection. I'm thinking about a S/W 357 or 38. She is of medium build and has limited experience with guns. Thats why I wanted to get her a revolver rather than a semi-auto. She will recieve proper training but I'd like to know what your ladies carry for protection.:)

2. jbd

jbd New Member

My wife and I both carry the Ruger LCR and have been very pleased with the little revolver. It has a very smooth trigger and reliable. I have about 500 rounds down range through the 1st one and about 200 rounds through the 2nd one. IMO give the lcr a look.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The softest shooting little .357 I've tried is the Ruger SP101. The alloy S&W J-frames are great guns but tough to shoot well and are very snappy to boot...

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I think you're on the right track. I will vote for a 357 over a 38 any day of the week because you can shoot both in the 357. I got my wife a Ruger SP101 in 357 which she feeds 38s. I got her a revolver because she had no gun experience prior to meeting me and wanted something easier for her to use.
    Later I found out she doesn't like semi autos after letting her shoot a 9mm I had so the revolver was a good choice for simplicity and her preference. She's good with them too. If you can find a range that rents guns that would be my recommendation. Go rent both and see which one she likes.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a first gun that is a revolver for the very reasons mentioned above. Mine is a GP100 but I don't (can't) carry. I think a GP100 is a little big to carry. Especially since mine has a 6" barrel. I'd love to have a semi-auto but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I still have way too much to learn.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Some wives do not want the husbands to buy them their shoes.
    Some wives do not want the husbands to buy them their handguns.

Does she want a revolver? Or the "cute" semi-auto? I would get her to a class that offers both types of firearms and let her decide.

She would be more willing to carry the firearm of her choice.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

...and we have a winnah!

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Can someone tell me the difference between the Ruger sp101 and the Ruger LCR?

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

SP101 is a steel framed 5 shot revolver available in .38spl. or .357 magnum. LCR is partly polymer construction and is available in .38spl. +P. It may be available in .327 mag, but I'm not sure. The SP101 may be available in .327 mag as well, but again, I'm not sure.

10. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The LCR is now available in 357 but not 327. The SP101 can be had in 327, 38 or 357 and I believe it is/was available in 9mm but I could be mistaken.

11. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

On the right track..

^^^Agree. NGIB, I have carried from my largest-Ruger SuperRedHawk .44 (9 1/2"), to my smallest-Beretta 30-32 TomCat.
    As of late, I find myself carrying the Wifie's older (pinned barrel) Model 60, .38Spl. Yea, I know-only 5 shots+6 round back up pouch, but is one gun that I would carry more often than say my Kimber full size, or my CZ-75B Stainless.
    With 5 rounds of Speer Gold Dot-Short Barreled loads in the cyl. I feel that I have enough punch to get my A$$ out of most problems that may occur.
    Don't get me wrong, I still will carry the full size .45acp. or 9MM at times when I can properly cover them, and will not be carrying all day. Also at times-shorts/tee shirt-the TomCat fits right into my back pocket great.
    This last week I made a deal on a S&W 637-1=Alloy/Stainless .38Spl. with NO lock. Man it is SWEET! I did take off the Boot style grips and installed an older set of bull horn style S&W brand grips, to fit my hands, but it still seems to feel 1/2 the weight as the Wifie' Model 60!
    Been carrying the 637-1 around the house, behind my right hip, in a Bianchi OWB paddle holster, and after a short while, it does not seem to be any more of a load than the cell phone, on the left side hip.
    Long story short-a weapon in enough caliber, that you ARE carrying, beats the heck out of one that's too large/heavy and spends most of it's time in the truck, or at home, in your safe!;) Or actually-underwear drawer!:rolleyes:
    Just my 2 cents from SD-CC better than 30 years...Bill.:D

12. amoroque

amoroque New Member

This sounds like the perfect answer to me! When my Mom got started getting into guns, my grandfather bought her this tiny little .25 handgun.....she soon replaced it with a S&W full size .45. Its hard to say what people would really like to protect their lives.

13. powg

powg New Member

handgun for wife

the best first handgun for a wife in my opinion .....cost,value ,reliability,easy to use ,would be a taurus model 85..in 38 special ,5 shot ,+p rated ,lifetime warranty, get one in 2-3 inch barrels ,regular hammer or bobbed..with the 3 inch barrel +p 38 hollow points are very hot ,will kill any bad guy dead,dead ,dead even if he's amped up on dope..teach her well ....2 to the chest, one to the head

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Before she decides, make sure she tries the Elsie Ahrrrrrr.

357.jpg

ruger-lcr-357-5450.jpg

.357 Mag power and .38 Spl practice.

If she has any interest in an autoloader the Elsie Pea is also worth a look. This is my daughter's Raspberry Pea;

[​IMG]

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My wife chose her S&W 642. She specifically did NOT want the pink one or the Lady Smith. She likes a revolver because of the simplicity.

We finally went to the range last night and she shot a box and a half. I was so proud of her, leaning into the shots. It is NOT a fun gun to shoot, but she handles it well. In a SD situation, you're not firing 50 rounds.

She is carrying Remington 158 gr +p LSWCHP rounds. They are really smokey and a little harsh on the recoil, but not as bad as Gold Dots, and VERY effective.

A little story...I shot a few cylinders (it has Crimson Trace) and commented that the laser was perfectly set for 5 yards--hole right on the red dot. And she responded, "When I was firing it, the hole was always a few inches below the laser." I just had to smile and let her know that it was her technique...not the laser. It's her first gun. She'll improve. Better a rough technique and ARMED, than just having pepper spray.

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Just saw your post, Cane. I just fired my LCP for the first time yesterday, too. I have heard that it is not that fun, but I really enjoyed it. It is no plinker, but the recoil was pretty easy and it didn't pinch me or bite me anywhere. The trigger is REALLY long.......................

But it is a good option for a lady's pocket. But, Cane, I know you'd prefer your LCR to her LCP any day, considering the greater power.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You bet!

I'm seriously thinking about moving up to the .357. I have become a huge fan of the LCR as it serves me well here in South Florida.

18. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Cane, your LCR is pretty, but I can stroke the hammer on my 637 Smith if need be. BTW, how do you like the pict. of Chlo that I dug up for my avatar??:rolleyes:

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

i totally second this. would like to add take her to a range that rents guns and let her try a wide variety she might surprise ya. my wife likes the desert eagle in 50AE and 44mag she also likes the bersa thunder 7 round 380acp. she hasnt found anything else she likes handgun wise.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

too bad that slide isnt pink they mighta sold me one!!