Revolver decision

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by dragunovsks, Aug 17, 2012.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I'm thinking of adding a revolver to my collection, its intended purpose is cc. I don't know a whole lot about them as I've never owned one other than the old .22 we have (actually my wives, her dad gave it to her).

I visited my lgs as they have a pretty good selection of all types of guns and a friend works there so I can get an unbiased, none pushy opinion. He showed me some Taurus model 85's they had in stock. They had the ultralite model, which they let me test fire (5 rounds) out back and the steel frame model. I liked the way it fit my hand and when fired the recoil was minimal. It was .38 spl BTW, I thought there would be a little more recoil. Keep in mind the only revolver I've fired was that .22lr/mag.

The only thing I wasnt crazy about, the ultralite model I fired had an anti-snag shroud surrounding the hammer which made it a little difficult to cock. But its da so I know cocking the hammer isn't neccessary and I can understand the idea of the shroud.

Basically just asking for input from 85 owners. How do u guys like it? How's the accuracy with that short barrel?

Or got another make and model you like better let's here it. Gimme some suggestions. Take me to wheel gun school so to speak.

Thanx gentlemen, and ladies for the help.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I am very envious of my nephew's lil SP101 by Ruger.

3. Donn

Donn Active Member

An LCR or S&W Bodyguard .38spl+p.

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Check out the Ruger LCR, I picked one up in .38spl+p a couple weeks ago and love it.

ForumRunner_20120817_175631.jpg

The trigger is so smooth and I really like the grips. Plus so easy to conceal in front pocket or IWB.

5. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

6. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Also consider a S&W 642. I just picked one up and it serves it's purpose well. It's not a fun range gun, but it and the LCR hide well in a pocket or IWB. At 10 yards it is as accurate as it needs to be.

7. Colby

Colby New Member

I have a S&W 438 - Airlight 38. It and the LCR are very similar. Concealable and lightweight. The light weight part gives them more recoil - but you would expect that - since it is a weight thing. Short barrel - it's a conceal thing - makes for not great accuracy. But I do well at 25 feet.

I have read that the LCR handles recoil better than you would expect for it's size and weight - suspicions are due to the butt being completely surrounded by the rubber grip - whereas the S&W has the metal frame exposed to your hand - down the middle of the grip - so no cushioning along this frame strip.

I've never shot the LCR, but I think if I was buying again I would go for the Ruger rather than the S&W - knowing what I know now.
    I doubt that there is much of a difference between them, though.

It is well known that the Ruger has just about the smoothest trigger out there in a revolver. I have tried it - and it is true. Very smooth and lighter than the S&W.

8. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

If you're buying a short barrel revolver and expecting to use single action for increased accuracy you're buying the wrong gun. A short barrel revolver is a close in, him or me, defensive weapon. It's not a target gun.

Personally I like the shrouded hammer revolvers for the simple reason that I still have the option of SA or DA. I only shoot double action when practicing, but it's nice to have a choice.

I really don't have a favorite snubby, but my least favorite revolvers for the last 5 years have been Taurus. They look decent on the outside, and they do fit the hand well. It's when you get inside that you wonder what you have done. They're nice guns if you can overlook the crap metal and terrible quality control.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

No I'm not looking to win any shooting matches with it as its purpose will be to carry. I just don't want something that is so inaccurate it won't hit the broadside of a barn at 5 paces.

I've never owned a Taurus but I've shot one or two Taurus autos. Yesterday was the first day I'd gone and looked at them so I'm still in the "explore my opinions" stage. I'll check out the Ruger lcr too.

10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

The LCR is a fine choice, but if you decide to go with the .357 over the .38 make sure the cylinder opens and closes freely. Also check the lock-up on it. You need to be able to close the cylinder and rotate it slightly to have it lock into place. Any more than a few degrees of rotation and you don't want it.

The .357 LCR has had many complaints about this issue. It's not any less safe, but it does make loading, unloading, and lock-up less enjoyable than it could be. The .38 special LCR is a great gun and seems to be immune to this problem.

11. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

My dad is out back shooting his CC LCR as I type.

12. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Another question, the old .22 I have has a loading gate and each chamber has to be loaded, cylinder turned and next chamber loaded and so on. What is the term for that style revolver and what is the term for the type like the Taurus 85 where the whole cylinder tilts out so you can use speedloaders/moon clips? Just wondering.

13. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

Most revolvers where you open a loading gate to load the cylinder are single action. The double actions are called swing out cylinders. You might want to go check out a charter arms bull dog in 44 special. They make bigger holes and come in small compact frames desighned for conceal carry

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ok, I knew the .22 was sa and the one I looked at was da but I didn't realize that the difference between the cylinders had anything to do with it, guess you learn somethin new everyday.

My lgs did have a Charter Arms in .38 spl but it was pretty small, I didn't really like how small it was.

They also had a couple longer barreled .357's but those were more in the realm of hunting as they were a bit much for cc. They did have a really nice Rossi .357 too.

15. danolator

danolator New Member

I recently picked up the SP101 .357 w/3" barrel. Might be a bit too much for you to carry, but it's a great gun. Gives you the option of 38spcl & .357 ammo.

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

An Sp101 is perfect size for a carry weapon. I have a Gp100 for a range gun and sometimes carry weapon. An Sp101 is half the weight of mine and should be great for conseald carry. Thats just my two cents....

17. Brother1962

Brother1962 New Member

the ruger sp101 3inch and all its family are great last forever revolvers.. im not an expert but i do own them and i know they are alreadya coveted family treasure.. (hope my kids dont try to collect early)

have a safe and blessed sunday folks..

18. Colby

Colby New Member

I like the SP101 a lot. Have not bought it yet. It seemed heavy for conceal and that is what I have been interseted in. I have a S&W 438 Airweight which seems borderline too heavy and bulky to carry - and the SP101 is even heavier and bulkier. But! I like the SP101! It is a very well made gun!
    So.... do you guys have a conceal method that works for you for the SP101? I'd sure like to hear what your method is and how you handle it - because the SP101 seems close to the perfect gun for me.

19. fupuk

fupuk New Member

My father in law carrys it in his front pants pocket, in a pocket holster. But hes 6'9" 350lbs. I personaly have only carried OWB with all of my handguns.