Revolver carry.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by alwaysarmed, Jul 4, 2013.

1. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

So I was recently given a little heck from a couple of guys for carrying a revolver one guy even asked if I was going to shoot cans of fence post, like the cowboys.

I then informed them that I picked a revolver because I feel that the fact that I don't have tworry about failure to eject or feed or a magazine malfunction makes the gun more reliable. And he said yea but you only have 6 shots.

So I guess his whole point was that capacity is more important than reliability??? I'm really starting to wonder about people?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

generally speaking - unless they were your buddies just giving you a hard time (just being guys...) sounds like these guys giving you hell just simply don't know what they're talking about.

Your response next time should be something to the effect of you chose a revolver because you don't need 15 shots like they do, your marksmanship is judiciously on target and your trigger finger is true. You don't need their wimpy plastic frame firearms with a spray and pray defense strategy.

That should shut them up.

Or rile them even more...depending on how full of themselves they really are.

side note: There's nothing wrong with a polymer firearm - truly - but if they want to turn this into a pissing contest...step up to bat...because there's nothing a 15 round firearm can do that a 6 shot revolver can't aside from a Failure to feed, or having something go wrong internally...

3. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

They were just a couple of buddies but they were basically saying that revolvers are past their time. I have a feeling that they think that a Glock is they only thing worth havering and if capacity isn't in the 12+ range than you are under gunned lol. I guess I just don't plan on full blown combat anytime soon lol.

4. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Thats a good reason to like them. I just dont have one that is small enough for CC. But i do keep a few stashed around the house. All parts are at rest, so you can leave them loaded forever, No,,,is it cocked, is there one in..safety on, or safety off, etc...Just pick it up, and start squeezin........:D

5. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop New Member

To me, there's a few lines of thinking in this:

#1.) You can carry a polymer firearm, be very accurate with it, and have enough rounds to take out several aggressors.

or

#2.) You can carry a revolver, be very accurate with it, and have enough rounds to take out up to 6 aggressors.

All things considered equal - you can't make a wrong choice. Plus, IMO, a nice little Stainless Steel revolver looks 1,000,000 prettier than a square boxy glock.

6. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

Readygirl I have a North American arms 22 mag I pocket carry and judge I either open carry or can conceal under the right shirt but I'm 5 10 270 lol

7. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

You very right and I see nothing wrong with choosing to do so. But my whole point on the matter is if your firearm jams or something of that nature the time it takes to clear it could very well cost you your life. Oh and I completely agree about the looks between a stainless revolver and an ugly Glock lol.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I carry a S&W Mdl 36. Have 5 shots.

You carry a Glock with an umpteen round magazine. And have a fail-to-extract on the first shot.

So...... I have a 5 shooter. You have a single shot. Now, what was that you were saying?

Advantage to a revolver- there is no question of reliability of a given cartridge FEEDING in a revolver. If it fits in the cylinder, it's good to go.

9. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

For some reason I've never been into revolvers, but in terms of reliability, a revolver does put the mind at ease. As mentioned before, no worrying if one's in the chamber or the safety's on, and no time wasted chambering a round if one isn't already. But sounds like the were just bustin your b***s. Lol

10. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Around where i live, i am seeing alot more open carry, seems like its usually at grocery stores. But Haven't seen anybody open carry a Judge yet......lol. I bet thats a real attention getter....:)

11. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

YES I feel the same way as you. Maybe I'm old fashioned or whatever but I like knowing that i can squeeze the trigger 5 times and not have worry about dropping the mag and clearing a spent casing some where in the middle.

12. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

Attention getter, we'll just a little bit. I will say this, yes this Is a some what heavy choice for carry but with a sturdy belt and the Blackhawk serpa it's very comfortable to carry all day.

13. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I will say though....i have a P95, a P90, and a SR9, All with over 1000 trouble free rounds through them. I consider them to be absolutely reliable. My SR1911 with 450 rounds thru it so far is a little fussy. The key to trusting an auto pistol is at least 300 trouble free rounds. Thats why i wouldnt trade my old P95, for 10 of your new whatever......I absolutely for sure, know for a fact....it WILL run........

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a revolver for carry they are a worthy platform that has been defending people for over a century and a half.

I can see valid reasons for selecting one and valid reasons for going with an auto. Ultimately it comes down to what the bearer is comfortable with and what they shoot best.

Some folks find a double action revolver difficult to conceal and difficult to shoot well under stress with a long double action trigger pull. Some find ejecting shells out of a snubby to be difficult if the extractor plunger is too short to get the shells clear of the cylinder. Maybe a reload is not needed.

Feeding different rounds is not usually a problem in a revolver. If a primer fails, the only required manipulation is to pull the trigger again and get to the next round. (No Tap, Rack, Bang drill required).

15. alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed New Member

And there is nothing wrong with your choice. I'm just one those who believe that anything that can go wrong will at some point in time.

So lets just say that if bad guy pulls gun on Joe cool behind the five and dime and joe is carry his Springfield 1911 1500 rounds through it and not a single issue except for this very time and he has a bad primer and the gun does not go off he has to now clear bad one and chamber another with my revolver I can just continue to the next one in the cylinder.
    I am buy no means saying that anyone is wrong in not carrying a wheel gun. I do however feel that is way to commonly over looked do to its old fashioned style and low capacity.

16. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I agree with you, there is less that can go wrong with a revolver. And anybody that knows me will tell you how much i love my Blackhawks....There SEXY...:D

17. Donn

Donn Active Member

I know the "multiple attackers" is the argument of the day against revolvers. I wonder, would multiple attackers be as determined once you opened fire? Seems to me the noise, muzzle and side flash especially from a snubby would stop a lot of guys in their tracks. Second, a hi-cap mag is no guarantee of success. The video of the Ohio State Troopers vs the Kehoe brothers is still on You Tube. The 5-6 shot wheelgun you have with you will more often than not suffice.

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Once in a while I carry a 4 inch 629 44 mag. That is a big heavy gun. But I sure wouldn't want to look down the barrel of one. I feel like 6 rounds of 44 mag leaves me 5 extra rounds after the fight is over. I plan on using it to shoot an IDPA match this Saturday.

19. Seven

Seven New Member

Revolvers can fail as well autos. 6 shots, or 5 shots is NOT guaranteed. Ever.

Don't get me wrong, I love my revolvers. But, given the fact a Glock 26 has twice [roughly] the ammo capacity of a similar sized .38/.357 revolver...
    ...I'll take an auto every day of the week and twice on Sunday over a revolver.

To paraphrase an overused internets saying: "I've never heard anybody complain about having too much ammo."

20. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

My next carry gun will most likely be a revolver, but only when clothing allows it. I carry a Bodyguard .380 because of it's size but I've always been a fan of .38's. The single action capability of revolvers is an asset in my mind for accuracy. I also agree with the multiple attacker scenario. If you find yourself in a situation where there are multiple attackers you most likely haven't practiced situational awareness. There is no shame in running away from a bad situation. Whether you have a 6 shooter or a 16 round magazine, if you have 6 attackers it's very unlikely you can shoot all of them before one gets you. You just shouldn't have been there in the first place.