Revolver calibers?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by NewGunz, Dec 13, 2010.

1. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

I'm not that familiar with revolver calibers... What is the gold standard for self defense and what is a good range gun? I currently own a semiauto 9mm because it is a good compromise; the ammo isn't outrageously expensive but it still has some stopping power. What is the equivalent in a revolver? How much does revolver ammo typically run? Thanks.

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The equivalent in many respects is the .38 special. It is the same caliber as the 9mm and is just as common in the revolver world as the 9mm is in the semi-auto.

It isn't quite as powerful as 9mm, though.

Now, gold standard is more likely to be called the .357 magnum, which is more powerful than both the .38spl and the 9mm round. It is also the same caliber but a little longer shell. You can fire a .38spl out of a revolver chambered for .357mag, but not vice versa.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

+1 on CHLChris. Add that the 125 grain, jacketed hollow point, .357 has a long record of successful stops.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

About the cheapest revolver caliber to shoot (other than .22) will be .38 Special. The last time I bought some on sale it was about $13.50 a box. A good .357 revolver should be in everyone's collection IMHO. You can plink with .38s and use .357 for defensive rounds...

5. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Every well equipped arsenal has at least one .357 Magnum in it.

6. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

My choice for many years has been a Smith & Wesson 2 1/2" Model 19 Combat Magnum. I carry it loaded with Federal .38 Special +P Nyclad 158 gr. hollow points.

A .38 Special +P loaded with 158 gr. bullets seems ideal for me as it will punch through heavy winter clothing without blowing up like the lighter bullets, and I don't worry about over penetration as is often the case with 357 Magnum cartridges.

Sorry, but I'm of the big, heavy bullet school.

Bob Wright

7. HKSlinger

HKSlinger Member

Yeah. I don't know about now,but that was considered the, "one shot stop" round for years. I'd feel just fine with it around.

8. powg

powg New Member

bob's 19

i had a 19 ..6inch nickel ..loved it but like a dummy ,sold it...my next 19 will be the 2.5 ,like yours .....love the look and feel of that hot rod ....iwant one that has been finished in flat black nitrite

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you can find one for the right price the colt python is the absolute best .357 magnum revolver ever made. ive got one and its the only revolver i have ever had that has stayed in my collection. im not a fan of revolvers but the python transcends the type. in my book its right up there with the finest 1911's.

anyway if you go revolver and are considering the 38spl, get one chambered for 357. you get a stronger frame you can shoot 38spl and 357 mag if you care too. buying a revolver chambered for 38spl only makes absolutely no sense to me.

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.

The .357 is the most versatile chambering bar none.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  11. AH-1

AH-1 New Member

+1 on the 357 mag.find a redhawk in 357 mag and go mild to wild.
    pete

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

+1 on the .357 mag. It is supposed to be the perfect balance between power and controlability. There are more powerful revolvers. But that quick follow up shot is considerably more dificult.

13. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Go .357

Yup...can't go wrong with a .357. Seems like every time I get another revolver it's a .357.

14. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Ditto on .357 and I agree with all these previous posts and for first-time carriers or slighter individuals there's nothing wrong with 38 sp., considering both rounds will kill the threats you are most likely to encounter in civilian land.

Many shooters may not agree with me but to me skill and coolness under fire acquired through training and constant repetition, and shot placement are more important than caliber. Learning to channel your adrenaline to make it work for you rather than against you. No bullet does you any good if you can't hit the target when the juices are flowing.

And a gun you are comfortable with and love to shoot gives you an edge.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I own, love and shoot many revolvers (of only the Smith or Ruger type), but the ones that see the most time out of the safe and I make sure I'm most proficient with are my 2"-4"

.357s

16. eoin2899

eoin2899 New Member

2 1/2 Barrel, (half the energy goes out the cylinder during discharge) a six inch .38 revolver is a very effective defense weapon when loaded with + P ammo - also comfortable to shoot.

17. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Comfortable to shoot and harnessing every ounce of muzzle energy is great and all, but being practical and carrying something of a reasonable size is what most of us are after here, unless we're just punching paper. . .

18. NewGunz

NewGunz New Member

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. Sounds like I'll be going with .357 when I buy a revolver!

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

+1 on .357 Magnum,it is the gold standard of stopping power and as you are learning it can shoot .38's too which .38's aren't too terribly more expensive than 9mm's.Now for gun choice,if you want a smooth shooting revolver that is just more refined,get a S&W,if you want a real rugged gun that can easily handle hotter hunting.357 magnum loads that can be 33% more powerful than a standard .357 load,get the Ruger GP100.Another good caliber for revolvers is .44 magnum because you can also shoot .44 special ammo in it too,but even .44 special ammo is more expensive than .357 mags.

20. BIGBEN

BIGBEN New Member

.38+p and .357 magnum are pretty much the all-around agreed on standard.I carried a .500 s&w before i got my 1911s,but i dont reccomend it.I was stupider back then.