Revolver and rifle ammo - save of ammo???

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jbscuba, Aug 18, 2010.

1. jbscuba

jbscuba New Member

I was talking to an NRA instructor and he only buys revolvers and rifle with same calibre. That way he saves on ammo when target shooting. Anyone's thoughts on this??

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I would love to have a lever action rifle in 357 as well as 44 since I own a number of pistols in both. The problem for me is that the rifles carry a steep price tag. I see where he is coming from and I support his idea.

Welcome to the forum! Swing by the intro area and let everyone know you are here.

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Nice idea for target or Single Action Shooter competition.

4. freefall

freefall New Member

I'd like a Marlin .357, it would be fun. Seems awfully limiting though to just exclude yourself from all those rifle calibers.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Don't see too many revolvers in 8mm Mauser! :rolleyes:

He is limiting his choices to pistol caliber ammo for his long gun. Sort of like deciding that your car must use the same engine as your Moped. Its OK, as long as you never want to go over 20 MPH.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It is nice to have a rifle and pistol in the same caliber at times,but I would not want to limit myself to only having guns in those calibers. I do have both in 44 Magnum and 45 Colt.I also have a lever action 357,but no longer have a pistol in that caliber.
    You really don't save much money on ammo though,if shooting factory ammo.

7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

That began sometime during the 19th Century, when folks had to carry everything while on horseback. Makes sense for those times, because I can only imagine that ammo supplies could be rather scarce, even more-so than today.

Prior to the not-so-Civil War using muzzle loading technology, folks carried as much black powder as they physically could, but either needed different size musket balls, or made their own from a hunk of lead. Not a lot of standardization in those days.

8. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I love the idea of having both rifles and revolvers chambered the same, but I'm also a Revolver and Lever action junkie.

However, that aspect is only a small fraction of the general directions I go when choosing my next rifle. I could not imagine limiting my rifle shooting to .357 and .44 mag (which I'm assuming he's referring to).

9. Datam

Datam New Member

I enjoy Cowboy Action Shooting and own a Ruger Blackhawk and a Virginian Dragoon in
    .357 (We shoot .38's on the range) I have a Marlin 1894c rifle to complete the set. they are great combinations.

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

If hes that big into having rifles and pistols in the same caliber, he ought to get a Glock 21 and a KRISS Super V. Not only do they use the same ammo, but the same mags as well. Plus that Super V is just friggin sweet.

-Fred

11. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I have rifles and pistols of the same caliber, but I don't think it's a big deal. Limiting yourself to single caliber handgun/rifle combinations is too limiting. One of the two will always be mismatched to the likely threat. I could carry a .357 magnum with 125 JHP's. Coming out of my model 19 it would be great for zombies, but it would be a little lite coming from my Marlin at a black bear or boar. Then again some nice 240 SJSP's in 44 magnum would do nicely, again coming from a Marlin, on the bear or boar. But for zombies, the 44 is too much. If you are going to handload the rounds to different specs, well you might as well as go with two different calibers.

12. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

I've been researching 9mm revolvers. I want to buy a 9mm Revolver and a 9mm High Point Carbine rifle so I can take my grand kids shooting and bring 3 guns and only worry about one ammo. They are getting bigger and graduating from the .22

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

NEF makes a nice single shot in .357 for under $300. Other calibres available too. Contender is also available for more $. 158 gr .357 is close to 2000 fps in a long bbl.

14. Datam

Datam New Member

The Ruger Blackhawk I own has a 9mm cylinder which makes it very versatile for shooting scrounged ammo

15. TSKnight

TSKnight New Member

I have rifle/pistol combination's in 357, 45lc, & 9mm. Having a carbine and handgun with common ammo is nice, but I can't imagine limiting myself to pistol caliber long-guns.

16. hideit

hideit New Member

that is why they fell out of favor only to be brought back by the cowboy action shooting clubs

17. monet61

monet61 New Member

Rifle/revolver ammo compatibility

When I'm out running around in the desert I carry my Old Model Vaquero in .45 Colt and my old Rossi lever action in the same caliber. They have served me well. They're easy to shoot, easy to reload for and will do the job IMHO.
    That's not to say that I don't use other things for HD, but they have their place.

18. lobster

lobster New Member

revolver and rifle ammo

I like the idea of having a set up like that ,it would suit me just fine . Now if I could only find a rifle that shoots the S & W 460 round , i"d have the best of both worlds !!!!:);)

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

i would buy into that if i could find a 1911 that fired 5.56, 458 socom, or 7.62nato. doing it just for range use is pretty foolish. i dont see how it saves anything or is any benefit at a range only.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of shooting 45 colt or 357 mag out of a rifle. I am even thinking about picking up a semi auto Thompson that is for sale over at Cabellas. But there is no way I am giving up my 8mm Mauser, my SKS, my k-31 or Mosin Nagant! I also like my 30-30.