Revolver advice

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by TwelveGageTaylor, Nov 9, 2013.

1. TwelveGageTaylor

TwelveGageTaylor New Member

Im looking to get a new revolver. Ive had a 4in taurus .357 before but i didnt really like it. Whats a good gun for the 6-800 price. Ruger, Smith & Wesson, etc...

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would look at either a Smith & Wesson or a Ruger. Both make great guns. I think Smith & Wesson is a step up from Ruger. But you will pay more for one. You really can't go wrong with a new revolver from either one though.

I don't like Taurus.

3. TwelveGageTaylor

Ya i looked around all day, i say a $560 dollar ruger 6in gp100 ruger. And then i saw a used 6in 629 classic smith n wesson.

4. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I'd say it depends on the application, but I'd go with Smith and Wesson. I also don't like Taurus.

5. TwelveGageTaylor

The 629 classic was 850 dollars used.. There is such a big difference between prices

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The 629 is a .44 and the GP100 is .357. A more direct comparison for the Ruger would be the S&W 686. The Ruger Redhawk is the compliment to the 629. The prices will come closer together when comparing comperable firearms but generally the S&W will always be more expensive.

7. TwelveGageTaylor

Ya im open to which ever caliber. Im just looking for the best deal / quality for the money. I know smith n wesson is always gunna be more pricey but i was pretty much asking for the opinion of people who has bought n owned either or both.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

In that case, you really can't go wrong with either brand. Some people like the style of the Smith revolvers over the Rugers but you really have to decide what you're willing to spend. If you would decide to go SA then you're choice will only be Ruger. Smith doesn't carry SA only revolvers.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Smith or Ruger yes- No to Taurus- but consider a Dan Wesson. Under appreciated, built like a freaking tank, most accurate revolver I have had. Get one of the older Monson guns, prices are rather low.

10. TwelveGageTaylor

Whats a ruger SA? Dan wasson arent those easily over a grand?

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

SA= Single Action. You have to manually "Cock" the hammer for each shot( on a revolver ). The "Dan Wesson" I have is 20+ years old and has several interchangeable barrels and 3 different Grips. 1k doesn't even come close to what it's worth if I were selling it. If this is your first revolver stick with the Smith or Ruger. My wife and I could qualify as Ruger "Groupies," but that not withstanding, you can't go wrong with either. The GP100 in 4" or longer would be good for almost any SD application except concealment carry, and you can even make that work under clothing for cooler temps. Plus, you can shoot 38's to save cost and ligaments, bones and tendons. You don't want your first Revolver to be a Single action if you have never fired one on a steady basis.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. JW357

JW357 New Member

My preference is S&W. They seem to be better heirlooms, IMO. I could be wrong about that, and only time will tell if I'm correct or not. But even most Ruger guys tend to admit Smiths are more aesthetically pleasing. Thus, their heirloom-ability.

Rugers make excellent wheel guns too though.

In terms of .357 Magnum, I second the 686 or the 686p.

What application do you want to use it for? That will determine what we can recommend in terms of size, caliber, weight, etc.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Ruger GP100 or S&W 586/686, these two own the market. Handle both before you choose. I wouldn't count on either becoming a family jewel, they are rock solid work guns.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A used Dan Wesson .357 will run $400-$600. The 44 Super Mags and the .357 Maximums are much higher- because they are almost the only game in town.

Go over to Gunbroker.com, and search what is for sale right now. Might surprise you.

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Taylor,

I would shop around and see if I could find a good used 357 Mag. S&W. I just like the feel of them over all others. Model 66, 686 or what ever. Actually I would rather have a good Model 66.

16. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Single Action...

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You can find the older Ruger Security Six revolvers for $300-$400 used in very good condition. They are a little lighter than the GP 100's and I like them better. If you are looking toward concealment in a 357, look at the Ruger SP101's however the Security Six will conceal easier than the GP100.

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I have a 2" Taurus, I don't like it either.
    New?
    Ruger or S&W are both fairly idiot proof. Either will be just fine. In your price range, Either brand will serve you well. GP100 or S&W 686 can be found in your range and either will make you happy.

Used? Holy cow, it's a big market.
    Colt. If you stay away from the overpriced snakes (Diamondback, Python & Anaconda,) there is value to be had. The original Colt Troopers are overlooked and there there is a lot of old school Colt goodness there. FWIW, they share the exact same lock work as the Python, without the full lug barrel. Later Troopers went with a newer design action, but are still excellent quality revolvers by any standard. Plus...well, they're Colts.
    Dan Wesson - As noted, a robust and extremely accurate revolver. The interchangable barrel factor sounds really cool until you actually realize that you will very likely find the length you like and leave it be. Mine has had the same barrel installed for the last 30 years. The others just sit there in the case. Last I looked prices were starting to climb, but if you find a nice one at a good price, you should probably grab it. I heard at one point that CZ USA (the current owner of the brand) was going to start supporting them. There was also talk for a while of restarting production as well, though I suspect that has been delayed indefinitely with the way the economy and political environment has been for the last few years.
    Ruger. The old "Six" series seem to be value priced when I've seen them for sale. Considering that not much short of deliberate abuse can hurt them, they deserve consideration if you come across one. The common story out there is that they were replaced not because there was anything wrong with them, but rather because they were expensive to produce and the newer designs are much less expensive to build. I doubt that's the whole story, but I suspect there is more than a bit of truth to it. The newer models are quite good as well, though I have less experience with them.
    S&W. So many choices. Most of them good. If you plan to shoot lots & lots of full strength 125 gr .357 loads, stick to the L or N frames as the K frames have some issues there. If you plan on plinking with .38s most days, don't worry about it. There are a lot of sweet K frames in the world and it'd would be a shame not have fair shot at them.
    If you come across a used Performance Center gun in your price range, take a long hard look before moving on. Probably not terribly common, but certainly worth consideration if the opportunity comes up.

Enjoy the hunt.

19. Rick1967

I have a 4 inch 629. Awesome gun!!! $850 is high for a used gun. I paid just under $800 new. That was a few years ago. Maybe 3 or 4 years. I would think maybe $700 would be fair used. That is a great gun though. I shoot mine in IDPA. I shot mine in the Colorado State IDPA Championship. I actually beat a couple people that were shooting autos with that revolver. It is a little heavy for concealed carry. But I do carry mine now and then when I feel extra manly!

20. Rick1967

Keep in mine some used guns can be a bargain. I just bought a S&W 64-6. It was a police trade in. I paid $264 for mine. It has a little holster wear. But it shoots like a brand new gun. Stuff like that is often carried around by cops that don't like to shoot. They are forced to qualify with it. But that is the only time they shoot it. I bought it because I wanted a .38 to shoot IDPA. If you find a good deal on a used S&W that was a police trade in you could get a lot of gun for very little money.