Revoler or pistol

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by dirtysancho, Jul 12, 2012.

1. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

Ge long question I know, but I have a new twist. I was shot in Afghanistan and lost use of my right arm, so for concealed carry I'm in a toss up. Slim subcompact 1911 style 9 mm or .40 or 38 spl/357 revolver. Pros and cons revolver bulky and six smaller shots pros easy to fire no use of two hands. Pistol longer takes two hands to work if not pre set up prior to every use, pro more rounds larger rounds thoughts

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Wow, what a situation! Thank you so much for your service in Afghanistan.

Since both platform require two hands for tactical reloads, I understand the thought for having more rounds. I'm wondering why you are limiting it the the 1911 platform for the 9mm. I carry Kahrs every day and really appreciate the thin size and straightforward DAO trigger. The CW9 carries 7+1 rounds, the TP9 carries 8 rounds, and no external safety. Its profile makes it a great IWB pistol. Plus the rear sights on these are shaped in a way that you could use your leg/thigh/table to rack the slide, if necessary.

A revolver doesn't seem to me to be a great IWB gun, but I've only carried mine OWB. You are less likely to have to clear a malfunction with a revolver and if the malfunction is the ammo, you only need to pull the trigger again. Since you probably don't want to go 357 with only one hand, you'd be limited to the 38spl+p and I'd rather have 9mm any day.

3. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

True, all good points I'll check out the khans. Looked at a taurus 357 felt good and good price

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

First of all thank you for your service, sorry to hear of your injuries.

Personally I would lean towards a semi-auto for several reasons. It can be cycled with one hand using the heel or back pocket, the ammo being in the mag is easier to manipulate than loose rounds or a speed loader, mag changes can be accomplished by dumping the empty mag than reloading with the muzzle held between the knees or under a folded knee.

What I would recommend is consulting a trainer or instructor that has some experience working with disabled or handicapped shooters. He would be the real expert here and can offer advice, tips and specialized training.

To tell you the truth, one handed loading and firing is a skill all shooters should master, just in case.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUkiu-oiq0A[/ame]

5. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

Also good point, I also think will I need six or more shots? if in a situation I have to use my concealed

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I carried a revolver for several years, I never felt under gunned with only six shots. And I didn't carry reloads either.

I can't really make a good recommendation for you in your situation. I know a good bit about guns, but I'm far from being an expert. What I DON'T know the first damn thing about is only being able to use one hand/arm.

But, I wouldn't shy away from a revolver based on capacity alone.
    Also, look up some Massad Ayoob videos. He does quite a few where he is running guns one handed, doing an injury simulation. It may give you some more insight.

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thank you for your service!

8. erich

erich New Member

God bless and thank you for your service! I would agree with Jpyle's post and look into a trainer and tell them you situation making sure they have experience with one handed drills. That being said there are many great semi-auto handguns out there that are super reliable and unlikely to have any issues when using good ammo. Also you can get item for a Glock for instance that would be good for you... Such as a charging handle and extended slide lock release, talon grips for a better one handed purchase on the gun! I think a G26 or 19 would serve you very well. Good luck and good shooting!

9. Donn

Donn Active Member

Thank you for your service. I carry either/or depending on the season. Wouldn't carry a revolver if I didn't feel confident in it. Studies have shown most SD situations are 1-3 shots. If you've got to reload, it's no longer SD, it's a firefight. In that case, you're in deep excrement, I don't care what you're carrying or how much ammo you've got.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Agree with Donn. I carry either/ or, and have carried a K frame S&W- a revolver can conceal very well.

Have a good friend that lost most of a hand on his 3rd tour in RVN- he has learned to cycle his 1911 pretty well- the advantage of a revolver is that if it does NOT go bang, immediate action is pull the trigger again. No tap, rack and roll. A speedloader for a revolver can give you fairly quick reloads, and a .357 is managable with one hand.

For defensive carry, you are buying yourself time to run. If you are looking for 15+1, that is moving away from the pure defense.

Whichever, practice, practice, practice.

And welcome home, bro- and welcome to the forum.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  11. hogdoc357

hogdoc357 New Member

Thank you for your sacrifice for us! You may want to look at the Ruger LCR in .357. Light, compact, easy and smooth trigger press and plenty of power. Easy to shoot with one hand.

12. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

This is what I was about to say. The Hogue grip that comes on the LCR's is a dream fit and helps greatly with recoil and muzzle flip.

Id practise using. 38 and carry. 357 in your situation.

Thanks for your service.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

When I was at a competition there was a lady with one hand. She had lost most of her forearm on her strong hand. She was left with a weak hand only. She was using a revolver. We were worried about safety until she started. She would open her cylinder and put the gun back in the holster. She then used a speed loader to load. She closed the cylinder and the gun slid the rest of the way into the hoster. She came in dead last for speed. But she was very safe. And she had a great time. If I had to carry with only one hand, I think I would be more worried about the ability to clear a jam than the time needed to reload. Who has never expeienced a jam? Even the best guns in the world have a hiccup once in a while. Could even be an ammo problem.

Thank you for you sacrifice.

14. dirtysancho

dirtysancho New Member

Thanks guys I needed up going with a Ruger LC9, it's slim and light. 9mm is a good round little recoil and I a safety on it so I can carry one in the hole and be safe plus it's 7+1. Once again thanks for the info and I am about to spend hours apron hours practicing

15. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I think the only place I'd feel under gunned with a 357 is in grizzly bear country.

16. Werminator

Werminator Member

Lc9 would have been one of my suggestions... get a few hundred rounds through it so you are familiar with the gun and it allows the gun to break in which should help with reliability... should be an outstanding choice given your requirements... the break in period will probably help smooth out your trigger pull and make it easier to.handle too!

17. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I don't even own a revolver.

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Go immediately to your LGS and buy a 357.

Go on.

What are you waiting for?

19. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Thank you for your service and welcome home!!

I'd think a 1911 cocked and locked is manageable single handed. Maybe in 9mm might make the recoil more manageable. For a revolver take that lc9 in 357 and Booyaa!!!

20. hogdoc357

hogdoc357 New Member

Then Pard, you are truly missing out on one of the finer things in life. Nothing like a good old single action cowboy gun!:D