Revisiting the GI canteen/cup and some mods.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by SSGN_Doc, Nov 29, 2020.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

As I look into variations of cooking gear for kayak camping, I brought out my old canteen and cup. I had already added a GI cup stand.

More recently I added a Trangia alcohol burner to my kit. Experimenting with the burner and cup stand, I found a little more distance and airflow around the cup actually got faster boil times. I normally would turn the cup 180 degrees out of orientation from the cup stand, but found adding some bent wire across the opening in the stand was more stable. So, I bent some wire to help keep it in from sliding and rolling around.

In order to minimize heat escaping while boiling or cooking in the cup I made a lid out of aluminum flashing and pop riveted a small wire hoop to grab.

Anyone who has tried to drink out of one of these steel cups right after using it to cook/heat in will also know that burning lips and hands is not a rare occurrence. Found silicone lip guards at a sporting goods store and I also made a cozy, I can Velcro in place after cooking, made out of scrap neoprene from work.

upload_2020-11-29_14-6-51.jpeg

upload_2020-11-29_14-9-6.jpeg

upload_2020-11-29_14-10-19.jpeg

OLD Ron, RJF22553 and winds-of-change like this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a noble effort to improve on the gear. Personally, I just jump in the truck and run down to Taco Bell.

When my marriage was young, and I could still sleep like a baby on a root poking up in my tent, My wife and I enjoyed primitive camping. I always kept a minimum of gear, a fry pan, matches, and rolling papers.

Now days, roughing it is staying in a cheap motel.

SSGN_Doc and CMAB2SA like this.

3. SSGN_Doc

Makin
    Making plans for next spring and summer to do some campsite to campsite paddling. Not a lot of “paddle in” hotel options, but I hear ya.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.
  4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a big ol' honkin' "war canoe" and camp in comfort.

SSGN_Doc likes this.
  5. SSGN_Doc

What I have learned so far tells me I don’t want to solo paddle a boat with a lot of profile above the water line for the wind to push around. 10+ miles of paddling in moderate wind has been enough to just about wipe me out because of the extra paddling to continually course correct. My kayak is likely to get a rudder installed before really long trips.

locutus and OLD Ron like this.