reviews for smith&wesson sigma .40 caliber

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by hegotahemi, Jan 15, 2012.

1. hegotahemi

hegotahemi New Member

Anybody have any reviews on smith&Wesson sigma .40 caliber?

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There are several generations of Sigmas. The "F" or "C" models are the first generations. Triggers were OK and could be cleaned up a bit. The "V" models had slightly worse triggers but could be cleaned up. The "E" models had a propensity for breaking strikers (I do not know if they ever figured it out). The "VE" model has the worst trigger since the advent of triggers. I have not tried to do a trigger job on one of these, but it would require a bunch of work.

3. Ghostman2nv

Ghostman2nv New Member

I have a Sigma sw9ve same gun, different caliber, it goes bang everytime,9mm is 16+1 :) eats any ammo you feed it with out issues, trigger has a grainy gritty feel to it when you pull it slow you can feel it, i polished my internals to fix mine, now its smooth, the trigger pull is much harder than say a glock or most others. Well above 5 lbs, say like 10lbs or so , you can remove a spring inside to lighten it and also buy another lighter spring to help reduce the pull tension, the gun has no real safety but the one in the trigger like most other guns, s&w says they made it that way for safety issue, i love mine and for the price you can not beat it.. I have no regrets with mine.love it , a glock but cheaper price :)

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

It will go bang every time, it will out live your grand kids, possibly your great grand kids, and the trigger sucks.

5. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I have a 40VE...gun is accurate, never had any malfunction. Close to 3000 rounds through it.

I think it is an excellent pistol for a novice. When I take a new shooter to the range, they get the sigma. It is inherently safe, due to the fact that the trigger makes it so that you REALLY have to want the gun to go off in order for it to do so. Shooters with any experience level will find their satisfaction with the trigger lacking...I just put the gauge on mine, and it is just under 11 lbs. It was far, far worse when new.

As Robo stated, there is LITTLE that can be done to achieve any marked improvement to the trigger.

These are just my opinions as an owner of the firearm. For what you pay, vs what you get it is solid. Just understand what it is you are buying.

6. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

You said everything I did with about 900 fewer words... :) :)

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I have a 40ve and polished the few metal trigger group parts to a high shinewith oiled wet-dry sand paper, 1000 gt. Changed the strick spring to a light wolf spring and trimmed both spring in the trigger group down a couple coils. trigger pull is just over 6lb's. Lubed with kroil moly.

8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Lotta people dont like them because of the immense trigger pull but The story I heard was that was purposely done for leo's they wanted a hard trigger for a saftey but Ive heard that once you do a trigger job on them and polish the internals much like a glock the difference is night and day. And theyre really cheap. Ive seen them on my local craigslist for guns Floridaguntrader.com as low as 250.00 which is a steal. theyre reliable and with a trigger job a blast to shoot . But If you like a long trigger as a saftey like I do then theyre great right out of the box.

9. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I have had a .40 ve for a few years and love it, I have put a bunch of rounds through it and the only thing I done was send it to S&W for a new guid rod, I could have done it myself but hey, its got a lifetime warrenty so why not? And for good measure S&W put a new extractor on it also just because. So I cannot complain. It is very accurate and I kind of like the trigger because I use it for carry sometimes, and since there is no manual safty, the hard trigger pull gives me more peace of mind.

10. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Well I didn't Care for it and my wife found it atrocious to shoot. I think for the money plus the added cost and time of polishing, filing, sanding, ordering New springs, cutting New springs, that a Sig Sauer SP2022 would be a better fit for slightly over or around $400 bucks. Sa/Da, manual decocker, and equiped with night sight , I paid $429

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

gunrunner If 4 bucks and 30 minutes is NOT worth it if you feel its needed , then spend the extra money for the sig. Most of use don't need decockers or want to deal with 2 differnent trigger pulls also most practice some kinda of point shooting so your still takeing in the whole area. Enjoy your sig.

12. bountyhunter2011

bountyhunter2011 New Member

I have the sw40ve. The gun is junk you would have better luck throwing it at some one. I've run about 650 rounds through it and failure to feeds are every other shot and now it has a failure to fire problem. My current gun is a springfield xdm40 3.8. Love it! Sig is another good option but look around there's a lot of other great guns out their.

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Reading other reviews, it seems that maybe you have the exception to the rule? Everybody so far is unanimous on the trigger...sux, and reliable/accurate for a $299 gun.

You try to have it serviced by chance?

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

bountyhunter2011 How about talking to a CS person at S&W and let them fix it. Tell them the trigger is also very gritty and when it comes back it will be way better. Change the 4 dollar stricker spring to a lighter wolf and it will then be a great shooter.

Would you also whine a about a 1000 dollar 1911 and just buy another or try to work out the issues with the manufactor???. That also happens .

15. bountyhunter2011

Maybe I was a little harsh on what I said. The gun is accurate and the trigger pull does suck but when you shoot it enough you get used to it. As far as getting it serviced I have not I'm going to send it back and get it fixed.
    Hardluk1:: in my eyes it's unreliable whether I get it fixed or not. If it happened once it's could happen agian and that don't sit well with me, if I need it it better shoot. As far as a 1000 1911 if it done the same thing I would get it fixed but I would also buy another.

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

If you don't have confidence in the weapon, that's understandable.

17. bountyhunter2011

That the problem is I don't have the confidence in the weapon and I won't recommend it if I don't. Im going to get it fixed its not a bad gun to shoot but not going to grab it in time of need. For a little bit more money I would go with the m&p line.

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Well Like I said before,Good thang its not a hight dollar pistol that does not feed ammo.

19. GeneJr

GeneJr New Member

I also have a 40ve. Had it for two months now. I love it. Carry every day in a black hawk holder. Put only 200-300 rounds through it but only had 1 jam. Only reason for Tue jam was because The round was takin out and put back in a whole bunch before I was able to go shooting. Learned a good lesson that day. Other than that, with Tue hard trigger pull, I don't mind it. I'm a big guy, 240lbs 6ft 1, so The 8 to 12 lb trigger pull don't bother me at all.