Reversed Recoil Spring Stuck In Slide.

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by omroi2001, Apr 19, 2012.

1. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

I was cleaning my Springfield Champion Operator two nights ago and when I put everything back together, I placed the recoil spring in the wrong way. I noticed this when I tried to pull the slide back and lock it in with the slide latch. The slide would not go back that far to lock it in. It went back just far enough for me to take the slide back off to examine it and yep, its the spring. I can't take the guide rod out because it doesn't go all the way back to place the tool to hold the spring back. What can I do. (Yep, an idiot move, on my behalf)

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Got a pic? Easier to help with a visual.

3. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I didnt know that you could put the recoil spring in the wrong way?

4. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Find a pothead and ask to borrow his roach clips to pull it out.

5. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

At this moment, I feel like the pothead for placing the spring in reverse.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

omroi2001, I'm not ignoring you, I just don't know how to fix your issue. I'm not familiar with your model.

Is it the one with the ramped barrel and that little plastic spacer needed for disassembly?

Sometimes I think design engineers make things far more complicated than they need to be. :(

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Valid assumption from what I've seen.

If the engineers had to work with the stuff they design, then, maybe, the repair sector would have an easier task.

8. levelcross

levelcross New Member

Amen, I think the engineers try to make stuff complicated to provide job security. Auto-cad is the best/worst thing to come to manufacturing.

Remember NASA spending millions on a pen that will write while in space, Russian astronauts use a pencil.:p

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

In my experience in the field I can tell you that many engineers are over educated idiots with book smarter and no common sense. I hated my job because I spent a good portion of every day fixing the work of some General Electric engineer getting paid $40 an hour to sit at home and screw up the simplest of projects.
    Nobody will ever explain to me how the "best engineers in the country" can't draw up a set of stairs for a catwalk well sitting at home. I was fixing their work while designing a machine to work with a $300000 German robot off of prints written in German with metric measurements and running a water-jet. All for $10 an hour. That is why good engineers walk away from the industry.
    I'll stick with being my own boss and working on guns thanks.
    Don't blame auto-cad. It's a great program. Cad-key on the other hand I hate.

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Sorry that hit a nerve.

11. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I completely agree with you mountainman, i know your pain. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm a retired engineer and I know from where you come!

My favorite engineering "rub" comes in this quote; "There comes a time in the history of every project when it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."

I was working in the auto industry when the Service Engineer's function was moved from a "fix-it" billet and into the product design process. The result has been a sea-change in the serviceability of today's cars.

13. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

Mr. CraneBrake,

No problem. I already got it fixed. Yep, while putting the Springfield Champion Operator (1911), back together, I placed the spring, with the opening side, facing the wrong way. After finally being able to take everything apart, I placed in the right way and it is very smooth.

Thanks

14. holliskingdee

holliskingdee New Member

Can you explain how you were able to take it back apart? I did the same thing and I've been at it for 2 hours and haven't been able to remove the spring. Appreciate it thanks!!

15. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

It took two people to do this. I had to have one person pull the slide all the way back to lock it in. Then apply the break down tool. Getting the slide to pull back all the way was the challenge.

Keep me posted.

16. cuba

cuba New Member

You could have gone around the back door with more ease and accomplished the same results, that is removing the slide completely from the frame by lining up the slides take down notch, removing the slide stop, separating the slide from the frame,(making sure things don't spring out) removing the guide rod and pulling the spring out.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

17. cuba

cuba New Member

Oops!! sorry wrong type pistol