Firearms Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is by far one of my favorite topics of discussion.

As an afficionado of everything retro, it's needless to say that the classic AR-15 variants tickle my fancy on a whole other level. Flat-top uppers and MLOK handguards don't hold a candle to a classic integrated carry handle and polymer triangular handguards.

I'm in the process of completing my M16A2 build since it was easiest to find parts for, but my dream rifle is an A1 clone.

Does anyone else here have a preferred retro AR pattern? Anything ranging from the original AR-15 prototype to the original M4 is what fits my criteria for being "retro."

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
The original Armalite AR-10 format is probably my preferred.

Have only owned one AR-15, myself, so I know very little about the practical utility of all the variations.

Someone at the range once brought his old, early Armalite AR-10 and asked if I wanted to shoot it. Nice gun. Compact, efficient choice of parts/positioning. Lots of variations, these days. But I still think back to that one, each time I see some newfangled, everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type that's being offered for sale.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Never saw the point of "kitchen sink" stuff. But many see different capabilities and aspects of their arms.

Given all that's known after nearly 60yrs of development, and given today's tight-tolerances manufacturing ability, I'd think a simple, no-nonsense, error-free traditional example would be the primary offering by companies competing for market share.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
Being one who enjoys wood and blued steel, I never developed much liking for plastic guns. I never found anything likable about an M-16. It is a viable weapon which I used during my military service, but far from attractive or desirable for me. A flat top chambered in 6.5 Grendel is a little more to my liking, but still just a utility firearm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being one who enjoys wood and blued steel, I never developed much liking for plastic guns. I never found anything likable about an M-16. It is a viable weapon which I used during my military service, but far from attractive or desirable for me. A flat top chambered in 6.5 Grendel is a little more to my liking, but still just a utility firearm.
Oh trust me wood and steel are in my wheelhouse as well. My point is that the retro ARs are the best ARs.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
Honestly the first AR I shot was in the old configuration and it did not fit me very well. They do look cool but that ain’t good enough. When I bought my first AR I put a lot of thought into shootability and not so much into looks.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
My point is that the retro ARs are the best ARs.
Let’s just say I disagree. Having shot these rifles over the past 50 years, I think some very viable improvements have been made that improve accuracy and handling over the early M-16. If you like the retro stuff better, that’s great! But it does not make them better or the best.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The older ARs are classic. But there are thousands of upgrades. And to build or change out part to make it just the way you want...different than any others...a one if a kind that you put together... not many platforms have available.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nope. They don’t do it for me. Modern ARs are better in every facet. They are more accurate, tougher, more reliable and look a HELL OF A LOT better! I understand for those who collect. I not a collector. So I have no use for for things. For those living in the past who continue to believe old things are better, this entirely untrue! EVERYTHING in terms of machinery, in our modern era, is better! Steel is better. Aluminum is better. And our composites are better! Motor vehicles, electronics, and yes, FIREARMS, are MUCH BETTER! Everything!

Nothing wrong with nostalgia. I’m a child of the 80’s-early 90’s. And I have fond memories of then. But I don’t live in the past, and try to convince kids today that my Nintendo Entertainment System was better than the PlayStation of today! Don’t live in the past. It’s unhealthy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts