Firearms Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a scenario (see this a lot):

Shooter distances a target with a range finder, looks at his dope card on his phone, reaches up and [clickety clickety] dials up 3 or 4 MOA elevation. Proceeds to shoot at target.

Yet...in his scope is a nice tactical type reticle with hash marks every 1/2 MOA both vertical and horizontal.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just hold over that 3 or 4 MOA using the reticle?

I don't know if this is just a matter of habit, or if there's a legitimate reason to tweak the turrets? If it's turrets, then what purpose do the hash marks in that snazzy tactical reticle really serve?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
It all depends on the shooter, wind conditions, stationary target or live target, and the reticle style in the scope.
On rifle's that I generally use for hunting as well as long range shooting, I prefer simple none cluttered reticles like these-
S&B P4L Fine-

Steiner SCR-

Delta Stryker DLR-1-

On rifles that I mainly use for Long Range target shooting I like to have " Christmas Tree" style reticles so you can use the reticle easily for windage hold offs at extreme ranges. While you can use these styles of reticles for hunting, they do clutter up the lower half of the scopes viewing area which can obscure objects down range that you might want to see clearly.

IOR Xtreme X1-

Athlon APLR-

I prefer to turn the turret's when time allows when hunting, but it all comes down to what a shooter prefers to do.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
It also depends on the Focal Plane of the scope. All of the above ^^^ reticles are in First Focal Plane scopes. The reticle hash marks are spot on at any magnification that the scope is turned to.

Second Focal Plane reticles in general, are only measured correctly at maximum magnification. Unless you use the scope at maximum magnification, you will have to do a lot of math in order for the reticle hash mark measurements to actually work at the distance you are shooting.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, there we go, FFP vs SFP, I knew that, but wasn't computing that in my brain.

Yes, there are some pretty crazy reticles out there (some of the Horus designs come to mind). Check out the "Tremor 3" reticle, holy smokes, you need a PHD in ballistics to use that thing.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Ahh, there we go, FFP vs SFP, I knew that, but wasn't computing that in my brain.

Yes, there are some pretty crazy reticles out there (some of the Horus designs come to mind). Check out the "Tremor 3" reticle, holy smokes, you need a PHD in ballistics to use that thing.
The PRS guy's like the Horus and Tremor style reticles. They are great for competition shooting, but are really busy for most shooter's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Scopes are unique in what order and when they had adjustable mounts, externally adjustable turrets, or range estimating reticles with hold overs. Soviet scopes have had the latter two for a long time. It seems that BDC reticles are the friendliest to the shooter, and what most people I know prefer today. Likely, holdover would’ve made for a quicker shot. But training and or familiarity trump technology.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Scopes are unique in what order and when they had adjustable mounts, externally adjustable turrets, or range estimating reticles with hold overs. Soviet scopes have had the latter two for a long time. It seems that BDC reticles are the friendliest to the shooter, and what most people I know prefer today. Likely, holdover would’ve made for a quicker shot. But training and or familiarity trump technology.
While BDC reticles do work, unless the shooter spends time shooting and learning what the exact distances the marks on the reticle mean for the cartridge / bullet combination that they're shooting.
The distance value of a BDC reticle is designed around a certain cartridge shooting a certain bullet weight at a certain velocity. Changing any of those factors will change the POI that the marks on the reticle mean.

·
Registered
53 Posts
While BDC reticles do work, unless the shooter spends time shooting and learning what the exact distances the marks on the reticle mean for the cartridge / bullet combination that they're shooting.
The distance value of a BDC reticle is designed around a certain cartridge shooting a certain bullet weight at a certain velocity. Changing any of those factors will change the POI that the marks on the reticle mean.
What you say is true. I’ll add that second focal plane BDC reticles are even better given the ability to tune them to any load via the magnification ring. Given his original scenario of adding 3-4 MOA while having a reticle with 1/2 MOA increments, holdover wins in the time department.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
What you say is true. I’ll add that second focal plane BDC reticles are even better given the ability to tune them to any load via the magnification ring. Given his original scenario of adding 3-4 MOA while having a reticle with 1/2 MOA increments, holdover wins in the time department.
Until you need to account for the wind, then you're SOL, and have to resort to using "Kentucky windage".
I'll take a Mil-hash reticle any day over one of the gimmick BDC reticles. I've never had any situation that wouldn't allow me the small amount of time it takes to adjust my elevation turret to take a shot. It's just something that you learn to do naturally if you know the dope of the cartridge that your shooting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Until you need to account for the wind, then you're SOL, and have to resort to using "Kentucky windage".
I'll take a Mil-hash reticle any day over one of the gimmick BDC reticles. I've never had any situation that wouldn't allow me the small amount of time it takes to adjust my elevation turret to take a shot. It's just something that you learn to do naturally if you know the dope of the cartridge that your shooting.
Take a look at the Leupold Varmint Hunters Reticle. They have 10mph wind reference marks included, which greatly increases the capability for better than SWAG/Kentucky windage without an overcrowded reticle. I find these systems superior for deer sized thoracic cavities and similar game out to medium range, 600 yards or so. Now if the target is tiny and or further, I’d concur that experience behind the weapon system with dope data for a particular load takes the turret twisting cake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts