Resume Question

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by AusLach, May 22, 2011.

1. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Background:

I'm a full-time student at University (college) doing a Bachelor of Business majoring in Marketing and Sports Management. A local accounting and buisness management firm has a full-time position available for a receptionist/filer/all round sh!t-kicker. Now, this job is definitely not what I want to do for the rest of my life, but it's a foot in the door to further employment. What I'm thinking about doing is applying for this position and finishing my studies part-time over the next 3-4 years instead of next year if I continued full-time study. The firm offers an accelerated promotion program for graduate students so I don't think that I'd be playing the role of receptionist very long, and after being a student for the past 15 years I'd really like to get into the workforce and earn some gun money anyway :p:D

Question:

In a recent 'Accounting' assignment, I achieved full marks; the only student University wide to do so. Do you think I'd look like a try-hard to attach this assignment and the marking criteria to my resume? It's not really applicable to the job description but it does showcase my skills I guess..

Couldn't hurt, right? :eek:

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Just had resume writing in one of my business classes. Take what you have and tailor it to the job. Just change it up to fit what they want. Try to use the wording in the job description in your resume.

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Not sure what your economy looks like, but I'd take ANY advantage I had, and make it fit.

What you've mentioned suggests that you tend to apply yourself to tasks.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I concur ;)

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I would not recommend attaching assignments to a resume. Summarize it very briefly and include the info in your resume. Resumes are simply there to gather someone's attention. That someone likely has little available time and does not want to read something lengthy. What they want is something that will catch their eye in 1 page.

I also recommend you crash your studies if you're going to take this job. If at all possible, do not drag out your degree. The longer it takes, the odds are much greater that you will not finish. That pay check might look very tempting right now, but it could cost you more than you anticipate.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Don't you have a "Highlights" or "Accomplishments" section in your resume? Put it there! Maybe just a one or two-sentence synopsis of the accomplishment rather than all the details about the marks and so forth.

I've read LOTS of resumes and would have no problem with someone highlighting such an accomplishment....it's something to be proud of and something that sets you apart.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  7. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks guys, good suggestions all round. Expressions of interests close this Friday, hopefully I'll be granted an interview soon after that :)

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I hate to throw humor on top of such great advice that has already been presented but then that's just me.

Confucius says: Man that doesn't blow his own horn may have dead battery.

The secret to a good resume is to entice/tease the reader to call you in for additional information.

9. ScottA

Good advice is often couched in humor.

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

The audacity! The nerve! The unmitigated gall!

11. Car54

Car54 New Member

I think you should add it in the resume. It shows you have a desire to succeed which would indicate to prospective employers you don't want to remain on the ground floor.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I would leave it out of the resume. Maybe in an accomplishments section but not attached to the resume. If its not specific to the job it could look like you don't understand the job. Take it with you for the interview where you can explain the accomplishment and why it shows your dedication to detail or however you think it should be best worded.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Thank you, thank you very much, I'll be here through Friday.

Be sure to tip the staff. [​IMG]

14. orangello

orangello New Member

This ^^^ IMO.

15. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I was the first reader of resume's for my company and would be handed a stack of a hundred plus for one available position. I can tell you from experience that extra pages attached are not appreciated. All that BS got skipped anyway and I would go straight to the education and job experience sections. One page is best, two at the very most. Especially for a receptionists job. Over qualified was always a concern and the resume's that were did not get a call for an interview. The hiring process is a PITA and I was not going to put anyone in a position that was just going to keep looking for a better job while on my crew.

Good luck in the search.

16. ScottA

Try the veal.

17. WDB

WDB New Member

Your resume is a two to four minute read/attention getter to get you an interview. State the facts, keep it simple and add in phrases/buzz words from the job description that express you. Often too much information on a resume at best gets put in the read latter pile then they find enough applicants that the read latter pile isn't required.

Good luck

18. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I have read way too many resumes and done way too many interviews in my career. Make your resume about 1 or 2 pages at most. Shorter is better, but cover your time. Short paragraphs with successes, pointed toward their need if possible. Do not attach the assignment, refer to it in a paragraph. You can always bring it with you to an interview and show it if it is questioned.

Also if you get an interview learn as much as you can about the company. What they do, what their market is. Anything you can. Be able to relate your experiences and successes to that in an interview.

Do not make the resume unbelievable. I once interviewed a young lady that had cured world hunger in six months at a job. It was obviously fluffed up too much, and I told her that for her next interview, make the resume believable. She was not getting hired. A resume will not get you a job, the interview will, but the resume can lose you the job or the interview.

Good luck! Sell yourself. It is always good to find a company that will pay your tuition. That is how I got my degree.