Restoring an old rifle

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by savageman97, Mar 25, 2013.

1. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I recently posted on here about a "wierd" rifle I bought at a smoking price and I tore it down cleaned is as best I could and took it shooting. I loved it so I decided I would restore it and use it next elk season. I have a few questions about refinishing the metal and what gripping surface I should do. I looked at stippling and checkering and checkering seems pretty difficult.. The r the Finnish on the metal needs to be pretty rugged but still traditional looking. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

3. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

Ya hang on. I have the stock sanded and shaped the way I want and the action and barrel are out of it

4. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

There ya go buddy. The picture of it assembled is from right after I finished shaping the stock

Attached Files:

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

6. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

How much would getting it blued or parkerized cost and shock finish is tougher as far as scratches and overall wear

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have never had it done. Anybody else know?

8. triggerjob

triggerjob New Member

Parkerized finish is real tough its what most of the ww2 us firarms had. It is also kind of rough so it is good for a brush gun. I don't know what it costs. A bead blast followed by nickel coating would kick *** to and look pretty cool. But for an actual field use gun, I would parkerize or duraCoat.

9. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Parkerized finish would be in the $150 to $200 range and hot bluing would be about the same. A friend has parkerized several Mosin Nagants and a shotgun with a kit from Brownells.com. The kit was in the $300 range but would be worth it if you plan on doing more guns.

Calvan.com also sells parkerizing kits starting at $50

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

I hope you done your homework on the rifle. If it was anything other than just an old rifle the value just went through the floor.
    The stock work looks good though. Are you going to give it an oil finish or varnish it?

11. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

Ya I did my research and its nothing special. I'm restoring it as my new elk rifle. I haven't decided on a finish yet but I know I want something rugged and field ready but still a nice looking finish? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

12. BWR13

BWR13 New Member

Just do a gunstock(that is the color name) stain and about 6 coats of Tru Oil sanding in between coats. I just did my father in laws shot gun and it looks awesome.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  13. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

What kind of gun is that?

14. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

It's a large ring Mauser action with a 30-06 barrel