Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted on here about a "wierd" rifle I bought at a smoking price and I tore it down cleaned is as best I could and took it shooting. I loved it so I decided I would restore it and use it next elk season. I have a few questions about refinishing the metal and what gripping surface I should do. I looked at stippling and checkering and checkering seems pretty difficult.. The r the Finnish on the metal needs to be pretty rugged but still traditional looking. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There ya go buddy. The picture of it assembled is from right after I finished shaping the stock

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,832 Posts
savageman97 said:
How much would getting it blued or parkerized cost and shock finish is tougher as far as scratches and overall wear
I have never had it done. Anybody else know?

·
Banned
258 Posts
Parkerized finish is real tough its what most of the ww2 us firarms had. It is also kind of rough so it is good for a brush gun. I don't know what it costs. A bead blast followed by nickel coating would kick *** to and look pretty cool. But for an actual field use gun, I would parkerize or duraCoat.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Parkerized finish would be in the $150 to $200 range and hot bluing would be about the same. A friend has parkerized several Mosin Nagants and a shotgun with a kit from Brownells.com. The kit was in the $300 range but would be worth it if you plan on doing more guns.

Calvan.com also sells parkerizing kits starting at $50

·
Registered
605 Posts
I hope you done your homework on the rifle. If it was anything other than just an old rifle the value just went through the floor.
The stock work looks good though. Are you going to give it an oil finish or varnish it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Minionsram said:
I hope you done your homework on the rifle. If it was anything other than just an old rifle the value just went through the floor.
The stock work looks good though. Are you going to give it an oil finish or varnish it?
Ya I did my research and its nothing special. I'm restoring it as my new elk rifle. I haven't decided on a finish yet but I know I want something rugged and field ready but still a nice looking finish? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just do a gunstock(that is the color name) stain and about 6 coats of Tru Oil sanding in between coats. I just did my father in laws shot gun and it looks awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts