Restoring a shotgun

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by thefunofcastlelaw, Sep 26, 2013.

1. thefunofcastlelaw

thefunofcastlelaw New Member

What's a good estimate on getting a stock made for a bolt action shotgun

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Likely far more than the gun is worth.
    Can't the stock just be repaired / refinished?
    What make and model shotgun?
    Welcome to FTF.

3. thefunofcastlelaw

It does not have one I helped a man move he's was really about to throw it in a fire so I got it I've cleaned and fixed it it just needs a stock and a magazine

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can check numrich gun parts online and see if the parts are available.

5. thefunofcastlelaw

It's made by marlin it's called an American eagle model 32c it's a 12 gauge with choke and thanks

6. thefunofcastlelaw

What's the best way to make the gun it's self look new again because it's atleast 52 years old and in rough shape

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Depends on condition. I'd start with fine steel wool and gun oil to clean it up.

8. thefunofcastlelaw

Thanks it's pretty rough I brought it home and knock a dirt dobber's nest out of the barrel

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First- reality check- Numrich sold out of stocks and magazines for those a long time ago. When they had them, a stock and mag would cost you more than the gun is worth. Really. The price was $130, plus shipping, and a bolt action 12 g is worth about $70-$75.

Second- want to do some cleanup? Nothing wrong with that.

Remove action from the wood. Formby's Furniture refinisher makes a good start for many. Be careful- stuff is flammable as hell. Do not sand unless wood has splinters.

For the metal parts- go to the grocery, get a COPPER Choreboy pot scrubber. Not copper plated, but copper. Wet the metal good with a light oil, let set for a couple of hours. Wet the choreboy with some more oil, reb lightly. Gun will turn coppery color. When you are finished, use soft cloth with a couple of drop of oil, polish gun. Copper color comes off.

I am not a gun snob- I have several bolt action shotguns, but understand they do not have high values.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have good luck with old english scratch remover. Old English works pretty good. You can rub on more coats of OE as you use the gun. It will look better in time if you keep rubbing. The bolt action shotguns are tough at turkey shoots. Everyone around here has a Marlin Goose gun for turkey shoots.

11. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

You might find an old stock at a gun show and have a project fitting your barreled action to it. You could then shoot it single shot.