restoration discussion

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by jng2985, May 25, 2009.

1. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

I have A old bolt action 20g. shotgun. Not sure the make or model. It was my great great grandfathers, and I'm looking at getting it restored and use able.

I'm wondering if any one knows of a Great gunsmith in the DFW area that might be willing to take this task. Not looking to pay thousands but also dont want cheap cheap cheap, if you catch my drift.

thanks in advanced, Jon.

2. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

You need to have the firearm appraised first of all. If it is somewhat of a collector's item, and you do ANY finish work what so ever to it, you will DROP the value! Post some pictures and markings of it and we can help send you in the right direction on value and collectors status.

But I can not stress enough, do NO refinish work until you know exactly what you have;)

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Why would you even think of spending $ if you are looking for a usable shotgun?

Save it for the memory value and buy a modern shotgun for use.

You'll probably have less $ outlay, save a memory and have a current technology shotgun!

[​IMG]

4. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

value of the gun is not the imporant issuse to me. I would rather be able to use this gun as did the 3 generations before me, then to have it sit in the locked safe. My plan is to keep it orignal, but useable. I'm not looking to update it to our times with all the high end goodies. I have plenty of rifles and shotguns to fill that gap.

Thanks for responding so fast, and I will be posting pictures as soon as i can find the damn USB cord.

Thanks, Jon

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

If you have thought it out, go for it and don't forget the eye candy! [​IMG]

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

If that is what you want to do. Forget about what everyone else says. The only guns that look good to me are guns that I can shoot. If you can't shoot it then why own it?

I also agree with minion as to get it looked at first. It may be a $100 mossberg or it might be a $1000 off the wall brand that is big on the auction block right now.

7. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

update.. Took it to a mom and pop place not to far away that my cousin has used and they priced me at around $300-350 for original parts..

will update with before and after pictures when i get it back. i was told about 2 months..:(

8. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

2 Months?

What are they doing to it that will take months?

Bear tex pad, and some new oil on the stock. Parts from numrich, maybe remove and install a new bead front sight.

2 weeks tops accounting for shipping if they put the order in that day. 1 month if the stock needed to be completely stripped, steamed, and re-oiled/

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

This thread is over 6months old.
    In a hurry to get the 25post needed to sell the walther in the classified section?? Just askin:rolleyes:

10. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

Nope, but it's nice to know how you treat new members.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Then why dredge up an old thread and add nothing of value?

12. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

Probably because I looked at the thread title, and not the timestamp.

Is this a little too complicated for you, or do you have nothing better to do on a tuesday morning than make fun of new members?

13. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Dude, chill out. Why so defensive? Yes you are the new guy, but you've not dropped by the introduction section to say hi and introduce yourself. You've just come straight to the gunsmith section and start digging up old threads. And then ask Gatekeeper why HE'S being rude? So what's with the "Check for the freakin set screw" comment in the Ruger MkII thread? That was an honest question that had been answered a month ago and was the guys first post. Talk about being rude to the new guy.

I'M just sayin.

14. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

I registered a few months ago so my introductions are in the depths somewhere.

Apparently, you didn't read the rest of the post detailing

"that way you dont spend a load of time whacking on the sight".

and "dont ask me how I know".

the comment was made in fun, because anyone that had taken a MKII apart with target sights could have/has done that.

I'm trying to figure out how you justify a glib comment as being mean.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Actually, you never posted an intro as I just went and looked. You dredge up and post in old threads to get enough posts to list your P99. No matter because at the price you ask it will never sell anyway. My local shop has one just like it with about the same accessories for $450 - good luck...

16. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

Then the post must have been pruned, or deleted.

I made my introductions, then posted my BAR magazine questions.

You can insult me all you want. That's cool with me. I am disabled and work from home so I have an excuse to be browsing the forums on my breaks between audits.

Again. It's nice to know you have nothing better to do on a tuesday morning than insult new members.

Especially to ones that have admitted to replying to threads without looking at the timestamp.

Sorry I found a title that interested me and posted on it.

I'll be sure to run all my future submissions by you to make sure you approve of their content.

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Personally, I could care less if you post but it's common courtesy to not dredge up old posts and add nothing of value. You're making quite an impression and it's not a good one...

18. agoetz2005

agoetz2005 New Member

and out of 17,079 members, you're the only one that seems to have a real beef with me posting anywhere.

Again. Next time I want to post something, I'll be sure and run the thread time, date, and content by you so you don't get offended anymore.