Rest Area “encounter”

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by AgedWarrior, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AgedWarrior

AgedWarrior Well-Known Member

Done bantering with Trunk Monkey...not gone. I like it here.

kfox75, Pasquanel, Oldoutlaw and 6 others like this.
  2. AgedWarrior

You assume a lot.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

None of need to look for trouble. It will find us like it or not. That is why I and probably most of us carry. Any confrontation you walk or drive away from unscathed is a success.

kfox75, G66enigma, Oldoutlaw and 6 others like this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

As a famous member once said

" You do you".

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Warrior

You did just fine! When we come out of these situations safely we did something right no doubt. Back seat quarterbacking doesn't help or the "what ifs'" don't count. However, I would call the State Police where that Rest Stop is located and the highway it happened on so they can start watching for him in the area. If you have a good description that would help! Chances are he was a homeless vagrant drifter and traveling. But may come through from time to time? So a description might be very helpful.
    You did good you were not hurt or worse! And you do not have to deal with the time, frustration and the emotions of smoking some scum bag!:)
    But please be aware of that closing distance we spoke about when it comes to a knife confrontation of any type!

6. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

alas, Agedwarrior, et al., i do not presume anything...

cheers

Trunk Monkey and towboater like this.
  7. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Aged warrior must be doing something right, or he wouldn’t be aged

kfox75, Gatoragn, Pasquanel and 3 others like this.
  8. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly. Trunk Money and his little friend need to leave AgedWarrior the heck alone. They are just pushing to far too hard. Playing big shots I guess.

kfox75, ellis36 and austin92 like this.
  9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Double on calling police for two reasons... one, what would have happened if he called the police on the crazy guy with the gun at the rest area. Second, they now are alerted that someone is carrying a knife quite possibly for nefarious intent in the rest area.

Sniper, I did a force on force class and the knife scenario was eye opening. I OC, partially for the ready access. I had the knife in me about the same time as I touched the grip. It happened that quick.

kfox75, Sniper03 and primer1 like this.
  10. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

Exactly, police tend to believe the one who called 911 over the one who didn't.

kfox75 and Nmwabbit like this.
  11. AgedWarrior

Appropriate notifications were made folks and description given to LE. When I first posted I was in the process of a cross country move and not particular about getting every detail here. I have a lot to do! But thought I might share briefly about the incident. I appreciate inputs from many, not so much a few others, for now that is all I am going to share.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  12. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

You keep saying that but you keep coming back

partdeux and Nmwabbit like this.
  13. Trunk Monkey

What I find really interesting is the way the narrative has changed with each critique. Originally going to the bathroom was the secondary reason for the stop. The stop was for a break and a sandwich with the bathroom trip being the last thing leaving.
    But when I suggested that's stopping at a rest area to use the bathroom maybe wasn't best practices it all of a sudden became a requirement because of your wife's bad leg.
    BTW I grew up in Omaha and I live in Colorado. I've driven across Nebraska multiple times. Unless you get off the interstate and get up in the Sandhills there's really no place where you go more than a half an hour without some place that isn't a rest area to stop.

When Wabbit asked about calling the cops...
    Although when others asked you did finally let us know that you gave the police a full description. Did you tell them you showed the guy your gun or did that detail get left out?
    And the rationale for the changes
    I don't know on most forums that I participate in the reason you post something like this is so that lessons can be learned from mistakes made and people do critique it. I guess around here things like this are posted so that people can pat you on the back and tell you what a badass you were. SNR <0

Nmwabbit likes this.
  14. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

TM, your problem is you don't know when to shut up! You made your point, stated what you would do or not do! IMO your attitude was at best condescending, not everyone is going to agree with you on every point! So deal with it!

AgedWarrior, kfox75, austin92 and 4 others like this.
  15. Trunk Monkey

Pasquanel, your problem is you don't know when to shut up! You made your point, stated what you would do or not do! IMO your attitude was at best condescending, not everyone is going to agree with you on every point! So deal withit!

16. Trunk Monkey

So here's the thing I really wasn't trying to be a jerk with that first post. I do believe what I said.

Avoidance is the first strategy. Rest stops are known problem areas. I wouldn't have gone in the first place and that alleviates the whole problem.

Second I'm a really firm believer that if it feels funky it is funky and again avoidance is the first strategy.

Last thing again I really believe if you let the guy out of your sight you're giving him an opportunity to ambush you and let's not forget the wife is out there alone. So absolutely yes I would have followed the guy out of the bathroom and yes my gun would have been out.

All that said though if you (being all of you) start pushing on me hey guess what, I'm going to push back. I'm funny that way.

So let's go back to what I said at the end of my first post which is I would have done it differently but hey AW got away with it . He got lucky and he walked out of there and let's leave it at that.

Good day

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Nmwabbit likes this.
  17. Notrighty

Notrighty Active Member

I can’t believe someone is actually faulting someone For stopping at a rest stop. When you gotta go you gotta go. Now hanging out in a skid row area at 3 in the morning I wouldn’t recommend.

AgedWarrior, kfox75, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally, I believe your response was appropriate and well executed under stress of the moment.

It's easy to poke and jab at what someone did from the comfort of an air conditioned keyboard with hours of basement time and a bowl of pizza rolls fueled with a He-Man size Dr. Pepper with lite ice.

You were not victimized and you walked out of there alive.

A few months ago I was TDY down on the border. I woke up in the middle of the night with a backache from hell. I could barely get out of bed. It took me nearly two hours to get my things together to get down to the parking lot to leave. Now we are looking at closing time of the bars, a high crime area and me alone and hardly able to move.

I'm scanning the parking lot entrances as I load my luggage. Nothing moving in the parking lot. Suddenly a black Chevy Yukon enters the lot from a side street and proceeds directly to me at a higher than normal speed. When the SUV turned into my row of parked cars and drove in my direction I pulled my 1911 and held it down against the back of my leg.

The windows on the SUV were dark tinted and the parking lot lights were glaring on the windshield so I couldn't see any occupants(s). The SUV pulled up directly behind my parked truck and the dome light came on as the drivers door swung open. A single male exited the drivers door and took three steps in my direction....Oh my gawd, this is it. Everything went into slow motion.

Suddenly the unknown male stopped and abruptly bent down from the waist and picked up a credit card that was laying on the pavement, not 10 feet from where I was standing.

My arm dropped back to my side so he never saw my pistol. Had he looked up 1 second earlier it would have been down the barrel of my .45.

He told me that he had taken his family out to dinner at the adjoining restaurant earlier that evening and didn't realize that his credit card was missing until hours later. He came back to the parking lot on the outside chance that he dropped it in the parking lot.

I'm standing there with a drawn pistol in my hand concealed behind my leg, and all I could think of to say was "It's really your lucky day". Mine too, I dare say.

On the way home I had hours to download and unpack what had happened. A Post Incident Review. Notable is the fact that I had NOT flipped off the thumb safety and I never had my finger on the trigger. I was covering him with my muzzle but I wasn't sure of the shot. The window of "need" was closing fast though.

I had been to the brink, the threshold that night. Did I fear for my life? Yes I did. I was unable to hardly move, fighting was not an option for me. Even though this man seemingly came for me...it was only proximity and not threatening or menacing. He didn't display a weapon, unlike your restroom guy.

Appropriate response?
    I can hear the pizza rolls rattling down the air conditioner vent to the basement command center there at Mom's house.. Soon greasy fingers will be setting me straight too.

No, I didn't contact the authorities. Why would I? Nothing happened. It was just two ships passing in the night....Sort of like you and your restroom guy....only he had a knife.

kfox75, towboater, Pasquanel and 4 others like this.
  19. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Yup. Situations can brew that quickly. And what seems legitimate and reasonable, unfolding as we watch, can easily turn into something else. You never know.

Either way: better prepared than not. "Not" yields bad results.

towboater, ellis36 and Ingramite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.