Respect the hand priming tool!!!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by m72law, Feb 24, 2013.

1. m72law

m72law New Member

I have reloaded ALOTof ammo in the last 12-13 years & never had not one primer detonate on me,(knock on wood)=''knocks on head''.

A good friend of mine just got into reloading & had a bad day over the weekend....He said he was using a RSBC hand priming tool,20 or so primers in the tray- said everything felt right & all his brass was prepped,but he must have had one turn on him-in a split sec. one primer popped & then the rest of them instantly daisy chained:eek:

I never would have thought those little boogers had this kind of energy...

Attached Files:

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Dayyiuuum. His eye okay?

3. m72law

m72law New Member

He had a scan done & the doctors told him his right eye socket was broke....he told me he remembers seeing light from when the doctors were checking him out,but everything is swollen shut - so its a toss up if his right eye will be 100%:(

I'm just glad his kids wasnt around at the time...they like watching him reload (two boys) 9 & 10 years old.

I might just have to invest in a face shield before the next trip to the reloading bench.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Priming is my least favorite part :(

5. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Holy crap had no idea primers good do so much damage that is wild man hope hell be ok

6. m72law

m72law New Member

Same here HOSS...besides what might could go wrong!?!-I'm getting up in my years & after priming 100 or so cases,my hand/s are killing me.:eek:

Me either gearhead396 & thanks,Im sure he will...hes talking about selling off all his reloading eq. & firearms:eek: I told him he was still in shock:D just wait until you are fully healed & then make that call;)

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

primers are dangerous. thats exactly why i dont use a hand primer. i threw mine out a decade ago. its also why you shouldnt ever deprime a reversed primer. i know lots of people do it but it only takes one.

i use one of these:
    [​IMG]

the rcbs tool above seperates the primer being worked with totally form the tube so if the case being primed does go off it doesnt set off the ones in the tube they are too far away.

or the primer system on my dillon 650.

friend of mine had a detonation in his dillon 650 it set off all the primers in the tray and some in the tube. but thanks to dillon's design no primer shrapnel got loose and dillon replaced the damaged parts.

anytime you prime you should be wearing goggles. the little buggers are STRONG

8. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

One primer goin off isn't too bad, reminds me of a lil firecracker. A handful is a different story. I run the machine that primes brass at work and have hundreds in the hopper at a time. We obviously have guards that should protect us if they do go but I hope to never see it happen.

9. racer_x

racer_x New Member

OP sure do hope his eye turns out ok, wow just wondering how is his hand??

10. m72law

m72law New Member

Thanks racer_x,his hand has a tiny burn on it..so he got lucky on that!

Thats an awesome tool JonM.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

M-72,

WOW!
    We certainly hope your friend will be OK. Was he wearing glasses when they ignited! If not it is a lesson for all of us. He despite his situation may have helped a lot of us by reminding us all here on the FTF of eye safety. If he was I,ll bet they saved his eyes. Hopefully they did not damage his hearing also. I have a good friend that use to load for his agency. Had a whole tray of around 100 go off on a progressive loader. Tore the machine up. Fortunately He was far enough away at the time that items did not strike him. But he suffered hearing loss and his ears still ring today and it has been 15 years ago. Primers can be very dangerous! Most do not realize the power the little fellows have. We will send prayers his way and wish him well and a speedy recovery!;)

12. m72law

m72law New Member

Thanks for the prayers Sniper03

He was wearing his prescription glasses & your right,his eye doctor told him if he had not been wearing them he would have lost it!Hes lucky he didnt have his contact lenses in & not having his glasses on!

Hes sporting a Big Black Eye today & his pride is a lil low but I'm pretty sure hes going to pull through just fine.

100 primers must have been one heck of a BOOM! Dang your friends ears are still ringing after 15years?:eek:? I guess it couldve been worse for both & yes we all must be as careful as possible while shooting/reloading/cleaning/handling all types of firearms!

Let us all understand that there is no such thing as to much safety!!!

There is alot of things out there that will show you no mercy!!!

Sometimes it only takes one mistake to lose everything.

Stay safe everyone;)

13. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Wish him the best for us and thanks for sharing! I had no idea that primers had the capacity to do that much damage.

14. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

I'm going to be a lot more careful when priming . Dang man that looks like it would hurt . I think ill be wearing protective eyewear from now on. I hope you buddy's going I be ok.

15. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Mine too. I try my best to be careful.

16. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I use a RCBS hand priming tool. I only allow one primer at a time in the tool while the other primers are in the tray with a gate built into the top of the tray closing off the rest of the primers from a chain reaction in case one in the tool goes off. I love priming with this hand primer and so far I havent had any issues. If I ever do I hope the safety built into the hand primer works as advertised. Tell your friend I hope he heals well and completely and doesnt stop reloading.

17. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

My biggest fear tis inserting the primer stem in backwards ! With the sharp end doing the priming .I'm pretty sure it would cause a failure .

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

1. Wear eye protection when reloading. that's a no-brainer

2. Use the priming function on your press if you use a progressive, or the RCBS bench tool that Jon recommended.

19. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Shop prayer sent.And thanks for the post.

20. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I am going to start reloading soon,and I have been watching alot of online videos and seen a guy stressing safety glasses,I thought "what a nerd" because he kept talking about them for a long time,but after seeing this I think I will invest in the best pair of safety goggles money can buy.