Resize the Glock grips.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by fixxer, Dec 15, 2010.

1. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Hi all,
    Was looking at the FTF Glock project last week. I was looking at the Robar grip reduction website and find that their grip+texturing looks like hell. I like my G19 but the grip fit is hideous. Anyone familiar with gripreduction.com? I was looking at doing myself as well but I don't think this is a DIYer's type project. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I'd like to REALLY shave down the size of my grip. I have these small hands... LOL
    Thanks.

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Go latch on to a G19 Gen-4 and see how that fits your sweaty little paws. You just may need to trade the Gen 3 in.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Should have bought a Sigma.:D

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My hands are not large either. I find the G19 OK but could be a little smaller. The G36 is about perfect. My wife had taken my G19 but the grip fit was even worse for her. I bought her a Ruger SR9c and she really likes it. She did not even want the finger grip extension. Much smaller grip. 10+1/9mm. She tore up the 5" center of the target. A lot better feel than the G26. I got my G19 back but am considering an SR9c for myself. The trigger is better than the Glock but the take down is more complicated. Meanwhile I can carry the G36. 6+1/45ACP 27 oz fully loaded. A little smaller than the G19. Lately because of clothing considerations, I have been carrying my SP101. It seems to hide better. I have a new holster ordered for the G36 that should remedy that.

5. fixxer

fixxer New Member

I ended up buying a Walther PPS since it is the only pistol on the market that I handled and felt right. The G19 has a much larger capacity but the grips are so thick I can barely keep it on target due to shooting high and right since I have to hold it wrong.
    I never could get my SP101 comfortable. Too thick I think. These days I just keep it close to the bed instead.

6. n2handguns

n2handguns New Member

I had the grip reduction and texturizing done by robar one year ago, it made such an improvement on my performance with the weapon, I highly recommend it. As far as the looks, of course it is a subjective thing, and I'm interested in function first. I will say this, that my group of tactical shooters do not like the way it looks when I out shoot them now cuz I'm faster and more accurate than I used to be before the robar treatment. I had the medium reduction as well as a few other customizations completed and I could not be happier. It's a Glock 21, it fits my hand "like a glove".

I suggest you feel the grips. Make your own choices. At the shot show last year I had a chance to try the different grips that robar had on display at their booth and the feel of the medium reduction on the back strap coupled with the feel of the texturizing sold me instantly. Do not rely on someone elses opinion and definately do not rely on pictures. Many of my co workers like the look of the texure in person, and the feel of a well fitting gun performing in your hand will make you practically forget about the looks.

Bottom line, any weapon needs to fit the handler to be effective. I believe that the way a weapon fits a persons hand is often the most gloossed over point when making a handgun selection.

7. girphoto

girphoto New Member

Look At.....

I am a 1911 shooter and just went back to a Glock 19 Gen 4.
    The grip is comfortable., but not a 1911. I have talked with the owner of
    GripReductions.com

He has many different styles of grip finishes and shaping.
    I am planning to send him my new 19 to shave off the back and reduce the finger groves.
    I already cut the trigger guard with my Dremill at the range until I had a perfect fit to my strong hand.

Give him a call and he can turn around the gun in about 1 week.:D

8. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Thanks all. Actually, I've done a lot of research and am probably going to tackle this myself. There is no magic behind it. I'm going to shoot for a perfect fit to my hands. I'll start with some wood block mach ups, which means it will be very time consuming. When I have one contoured to my liking, I'll do some experimenting with marine grade epoxy and pigments to get the cured color resemblence close. After that, it will be go time. I have more than adequate tools in my shop.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  9. n2handguns

n2handguns New Member

Grips

So, How is it going with the grip redesign?
    Let's see some pics!

10. fixxer

fixxer New Member

I stripped the pistol, did some relief cuts and roughed up inside the frame to give the resin some tooth. I filled it with Accuglas from Brownell's (resin mixed with black pigment). I had to go to work out of the country and will start again when I get back. I am going to buy a small drum wheel sander when I get back for these projects. Nothing notable yet. I will post pics when I am done. That might be awhile though. Still trying to decide what to use to replace the textured finish. I don't trust that roll-on bed liner crap I see people using because I've dealt with it in pickups and it is junk. I'm going to try to get a reputable Line-X or Superliner job on it instead. I'm going to be at the mercy of their schedule if I can get them to do it. I'm also building a reloading bench and starting reloading, tearing down/building up a new Remmy 700 SPS Tactical, fixing a POS Maverick shotgun, fitting my "good" Browning 12ga stock, sending back a bad scope from Nikon, etc... I think I have A.D.D or something. LOL

11. jovaitt

jovaitt New Member

I have personally measured the grip of a Glock 19 gen 3 and a gen 4 with a micrometer. The difference is minuscule, and not even slightly noticeable.

12. Johnnyb

Johnnyb New Member

Even with the change out backstraps?

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Robar does great work but I have to agree with those who said look at a 19Gen4 instead. The naked backstrap (and trigger pull) is 2mm shorter than the Gen3 and that makes a big difference. If you add the medium backstrap it's the same as the Gen3 and the large strap makes it 2mm larger.

I just bought a 23Gen4 and looked hard at the Gen3 but loved the feel of the Gen4 with no strap. When I put on the medium strap it feels like my 22Gen2 so I have flexibility. Can't decide which way to go but like having the choice.

I would think you'd come out ahead buying a Gen4 and selling your Gen3 instead of shipping it off to Robar and the cost of the conversion. The only down side is the reliability issues of some 19Gen4s. Glock is still slow to fix this problem completely but it seems better with recent guns.

14. girphoto

girphoto New Member

Most shooters go and have a grip reduction job to aid in shooting (or because they like the look).
    I did a lot of investigation as decided to go with Ben at Boresight Solutions in Miami Florida. Ben is busy and you can expect to leave your lower for a month or two. But the work and the wait is well worth it.
    I shoot and compete in Steel Competition and one of my guns is a Boresight Solutions modified G17 Gen3. It is a 2005 model and I jet never felt comfortable shooting it so it sat in the safe (have smaller hands and had hand surgery so the big grip was uncomfortable).

I meet with Ben and after going throughout my needs, we came up with the following:

Remove and reshape the back of the grip, remove the finger groves on the front of the grip, re-stipple the entire grip 360 degrees. I also had the finger guard rounded, and an upper cut in the rear to accommodate a high grip (use to 1911 grips). But it did not stop there, I had the bottom cut to accommodate G19 mag's and beveled for quick reloads. A finishing touch of stippling on the left from strap where my left hand thumb goes and done.
    Photos are attached:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  15. Jubal

Jubal New Member

Thoughts now

First off hello..I'm new to being on site. Seems like there's plenty of knowledge and experience here. And some good people too. So any sdvise is welcome. I've got a G23 and am debating a grip reduction and undercutting trigger guard as it bites the heck out of my finger after a while of shooting. Did you get a higher grip angle after reduction? This is gonna be my carry gun and would like any advise on upgrades you would do to your weapon. LikeI said I'm new to site and appreciate any advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

16. therukh

therukh New Member

Great Glock Grip Reductions & Modifications

I have shorter fingers so I really love the grip reduction for my Glocks. I have one of my old friends, David Bowie of Bowie Tactical Concepts, do my grip modifications and reductions. His work is super excellent and very reasonable. Check out his site at: http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/
    I love the way my grips feel after he does his magic and some of my students have had David do their Glocks too, all with the same great feel and superior work.
    This is the latest one he did for my use in night matches and for home defense. He milled in the Delta Point and the suppressor sights as well as doing the grip work. I'll look for a better picture of my actual grip modifications, but his site has great pics of his work.

Attached Files:

17. therukh

therukh New Member

More Grip Modification Work

Here are the better pictures of my grip modification work on my G34:

Attached Files:

18. Jubal

Jubal New Member

That looks great! Thats quality work. Nice to hear you and your friends have used Bowie over and over. Return business speaks for itself. Gonna call him tomorrow. Thanks for reply, let you know how it goes wants I make decision.

19. Jubal

Jubal New Member

Beautiful work . What kind of sights are those ? That's exactly what im looking for. Thanks

20. DP03

DP03 New Member

This is so true. Comfortable grip is one of the most important criteria to me, and it's exactly why I sold my G21 and have taken Glock off my shopping list permanently.

I never understood why people would choose a gun that they had to modify out of the box. There are too many (better, IMO) choices out there.