Reshaping grips

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Shihan, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What do yoiu use to reshape and texture your grips? What tools would I need? Is a dremel and soldering Iron enough? Do I need any special bits?
    I would like to see some set ups, so if you've done any work like this show me.

2. afi1

afi1 New Member

For texture, all you need is a soldering iron. For re shaping, depending on how crazy you get, you may want to fill the hallow hump with marine epoxy or the like. Then use a Dremel tool and take off little bits at a time.

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Can I wrap the handle in fiberglass and resin and then shape. How about the latex rubber stuff they have in those make your own sex toy kits?

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Would give the grip a nice soft feel.:eek: Why you making your own toys?:D

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I found the kit while looking for Glock grips.

6. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I wonder if I could make my own Glock fleshlight

7. afi1

afi1 New Member

8. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Don't feed the trolls........

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I would like something for my pistol but its an XD40

10. fixxer

fixxer New Member

The stippling can be done with a soldering iron or by dabbing various compounds on the handle (bed liner coat, epoxy/aggregate mixtures, etc) but reshaping is more involved. A dremel is too small to get the whole grip uniform. Some people have posted that they've used files for the shaping. You'll need something similar in width to a belt sander for uniformity. Personally, I don't see why a sanding block and patience wouldn't work.
    Brownell's has a nice Gun Tech article written on just this topic:
    GunTech : Glock Grip Reduction & Custom Beavertails - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    I handled the new Gen 4 without a backstrap insert and found I don't like the grip so I'll just hang onto my Glock and do the grip reduction. I just picked up the acragel today at a local gun shop and am going to start this process soon. Do a search on youtube for "grip reduction" and you'll find a few videos on this process as well. It's pretty straight forward. There are a lot of blog postings on stippling with a soldering iron.