Researching my first gun but need a place to rent...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by swimman, Aug 27, 2010.

1. swimman

swimman New Member

I'm looking into purchasing my first handgun but would like to find a shop/range in the area that rents guns. I've searched through the phone book and cannot locate any that are public. Most are private clubs. What I would like is a place that sell guns and has a range. This way I can walk in, put my money on the counter and rent however many and get a feel for them. Are there any places like this in the New England (I'm in Rhode Island) area?

Appreciate the help. Have to start somewhere!

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Would you stop by our "introductions" area and tell us a little about yourself?

3. orangello

orangello New Member

4. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

My advice is you stop screwing around & buy a gun. You really don't hafta try it first, as guns all share several things and if you are buying it for self-defense you may not be shooting it ever...

5. orangello

orangello New Member

billdeserthills,
    I think dude is looking for his first handgun, not another for the collection.

OP, if you can't find a range that rents, ask every buddy you've got if they have a handgun they can show you & maybe take you out to shoot it (offer to buy the ammo & cold drinks).

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Really your never going to shoot the gun you are placing your's and your families lives on? That is not dumb but stupid.

7. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I'm sure you are correct. As a gun dealer it bothers me to hear people that have the special need to "try out" the gun before purchase, as I now own hundreds of guns and trying out any one of them would never have kept me from buying that particular gun.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I see where you are coming from Bill, still I'd suggest trying out some guns and seeing what you really like......ESPECIALLY.......if its a gun you are going to use for self defense.

9. danf_fl

Alex, may I try "Potent Potables" for $300 now?

10. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

Trying out is cool if possible. Do some research on what your lookin for. i suggest a 9mm for your first handgun. Me personally, i dont need to try any gun out, if its durable,reliable,reasonable price, thats almost enough for me. If your looking to just make some noise at the range, then yea go test sum out if you can but, if its self-defense;dont think i would care about how it shoots. As long as it protects my family/myself....IM GOOD:cool:

11. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Bill, I personally have not regretted getting to try out guns before I made decisions to buy. I went in "knowing" what I wanted, but after trying several I ended up with something that wasn't what I had originally planned to buy.

Considering this is his first gun, I think trying before buying is a great idea. Now, once he's onto 10, or 20, or 30 more down the road, I would think testing before buying is probably no longer an important factor.

12. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

13. danf_fl

What is a lager?

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is about the worst advice I've ever seen on this forum.

Why would anyone buy a gun for self defense and not intend on shooting it to become proficient?

Guns, like lots of other items in life, vary a lot. What works well for you may not work well for me. Glocks are reliable guns - but due to the grip angle and other ergonomic issues I do not shoot them well.

You may own a billion guns and be the world's foremost expert on all things handgun; however, I truly suggest you quit dispensing really bad advice...

15. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

Oooh, i'm sorry, sir, but that's incorrect :(

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I agree on asking friends to let you shoot theirs. You don't even know what caliber you want yet. Your first handgun, especially one for self defense is a very important desicion. Someday your life may depend on that choice. Large calibers are great for self defense. But, some people can't handle big recoil. What ever you get, plan on shooting it at least once every couple of months just to be sure you are familiar with it. Revolvers are great for new shooters. No safeties to worry about. Easy to maintain. If you got a .357 mag you could shoot 38 special too. Their is a wide variety of ammo available. It is not the cheapest out there but still reasonable.

Have you considered a shooting or self defense class. Pistol competitions are a blast even if you are not very good.

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

What is a Porter?

18. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

So....let me get this straight, since you are a gun dealer and you have hundreds of varieties of guns, and being the helpful and responsible business man that you no doubt are, you probably would not mind then if they tried out some of your personal handguns to find that first handgun that may fit them?

If I was looking to buy a new handgun or rifle, different from what I shoot now, I would seriously make it a mission to handle and shoot one like it, before buying it, especially if it was looking for my first one.

Here's a great, but respectful comparison...guns are like fine women, the next step after finding a good one is trying them out. Compatibility, personal comfort, dependability, satisfaction and commitment are pretty much common to both. :cool:

19. WDB

WDB New Member

Swim, good for you to want to find what fits you best. I hope you can find a place to do just that. Then you will have a firearm that truly fits your need.

Bill your either dense or just full of Sh&t. Even the most expereinced wants to hold and shoot a firearm they are not familar with before making the purchase. If you are a "firearms dealer" I expect you selling low end firearm and tell people they can take down any threat with the POS you sell them.

You should go to work for Avon as it is more ethical to tell an uguly chick the makeup makes her look pretty than to spew the gun advice you just did.

20. TheDaggle

TheDaggle New Member

That is correct, sir!

Choose your category!:D