Researching a stripped lower

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Feb 5, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I want to build a high end rifle for accuracy. I will build it over time and based on advice I can get on this board. Can you guys recommend a billet stripped lower?? All holes and machine work would need to be completed. Thanks!

2. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I repeatedly hear Palmetto State Armory brought up. I personally would be more concerned with the markings on it, (I like 5.56 and SAFE & FIRE). Wether it's billet, or forged, I don't think it matters. The lower doesn't really help with the accuracy.

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Still want something solid though. I too hear a ton of good reviews on PSA. I just bought an upper from them but it's not in yet. Still I was thinking more high end if there is a difference. I hear a lot about Bravo Company and will look at some of those. I need to add that the lower I will build will not go with the PSA upper I just bought. I have a lower for that.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Lmt .
    louis machine and tool company.
    You can also try larue.
    They get their lowers made by lmt also.
    Those are some that I have but I also hear good things about spike.
    I'm sure if your patience somebody with more expertise thane me will sign in.

I'm doing 80 percent lowers now

EZ

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

If you were worried about high end, the upper is where you should have spent your money. To go high end on the lower and middle of the road or even lower on the upper is bassackwards.

The quality of the upper is more critical to accuracy than the lower.

Since you have a PSA upper on order, might as well stick with the PSA lower.

PSA is a great product for the money.

6. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

The PSA upper is not going to be for the lower I am looking for. Once the lower is done I will decide which upper to go with but I'm thinking Noveske.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I'm thinking about a high end build myself and am leaning towards Noveske also though I prefer the forged receiver for weight savings

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

Lower doesn't matter. Pick a roll mark you like.

As for upper on a precision build, far as I'm concerned there is only one choice http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1611 ranier ultramatch a3 or a4. Only one I know of that is machined intentionally with precision in mind.

When I mounted my barrel and scope first group was only 1/8 moa from mechanical zero in windage. It doesn't get much better than that.

Second choice would be an upper from rra

9. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Nice high end billet you say?! ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1391651260.641471.jpg Might I recommend the Seekins SP223. I love this one. It is extremely nice and well made. Plus it has an ambi bolt release. Used it on one of my latest builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

10. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I have researched the RRA a lot and do like those as well. I will def look into that link. Then ask about barrels etch.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

If you go rra just get a complete upper from their varmint series. They use superb wilson arms (not junky wilson combat) barrels. They are air gauge tested, cryo stress relieved, and stainless.

12. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I used the Rainier Arms Ultra Match billet upper on my Seekins SP223 lower. It is simply amazing. Rainier creates great products and has some of the best customer service around.

13. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I'm familiar with those varmint series. I actually almost bought one instead of the PSA before I decided I wanted to build. I figured buy the cheaper one now just to have an extra upper to play with and revisit RRA when it came to the upper portion of the build.

14. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

The Rainer arms are looking really good to me too right now. I'll cross that road when I come to it.

15. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Having problems finding Noveske lowers. I like the Seekins too. What model would you guys recommend

16. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Ar15.com has a link for billet lowers with the molon labe and spartan helmet on them for 119$ right now. It doesn't get much cheaper for a billet. Things that effect accuracy though are barrel, trigger, bolt carrier, and skill. Lowers really aren't that important. That being said I wouldn't put a 1000 dollar precision upper on a new frontier polymer lower. Nothing wrong with them, but that's like cheap rims on a Ferrari.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  17. AndyRexia

AndyRexia New Member

Rainier Arms has Noveske lowers in stock.

18. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

All I see at Rainer is the chainsaw line. Aren't they slightly blemished? If so how bad?

19. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

It says that the DETENT spring must be modified because of the rear takedown screw. How much of an issue is this? Its my first build so I don't want to get into any real gunsmithing although I will have guidance. I also want to be able to slap on another barrel quickly if I want to, would this make it more work for me to replace the upper?
    I do think its a good looking lower.

20. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Super easy. This is not a big deal at all. Shorten the spring a bit and away you go. Also comes with an ambidextrous bolt release already installed.

Does not change the function of switching uppers whatsoever.