Researching a .308

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ccase39, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I'm looking into .308s and wanted some advice/ info on a decent quality, accurate rifle. I can pair an upper and lower or buy the whole rifle. How much can I expect to spend. Can you guys give me some price ranges and some links to look through? What are the arguments for each carbine, rifle, and midlenght?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

In terms of ar10 you can't build one from random parts like a ar15. Not the same thing at all.

Pick a type and it all has to come from the same maker. Bout the only thing that is interchangeable is ammo...

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Depending on your intended use you might find a Browning semi auto to be more appealing than an AR10. Browning has released the shortTrac hog hunter in 308. You would have to spend a bunch of money on a AR10 to get all the features the hog hunter has right out of the box.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Depends on your plans also. High volume sports shooting means you either have the skill and the time to reload, or you can afford spending tons of money on ammo. Knowing that I shoot dollars ($1 a pop) messes with my aim. If that sounds familiar, consider an AK variant in 7.62x39.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

With unlimited funds, I'd prefer an FN SCAR-17s ($2800). But that might be $4K by the time you add mags and optics!

On my mere mortal budget I'd take a Springfield M1A over many of the $1500 range AR10s. It's a good rifle, holds its value, and has a successful track record.

DPMS actually makes some pretty decent and affordable 308 rifles, and their 'Recon' model intrigues me. I'm also interested in seeing what becomes of PSA's venture into the 308 world.

6. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I do own an AK. I had also considered the M1a. Would like to see a link on that browning.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Browning.com. I think it is a very good suggestion.

Attached Files:

8. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

My lgd has an RRA .308 for 1200 or with optic 2100.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Kinda hard to give an opinion without knowing the specifics of the $1000 optic in question...let alone the barrel, design, and intended use for the rifle.

RRA 308 is probably good. Personally, I'd prefer an AR10 that accepts standard ($20) Magpul mags. I don't think RRA does. By no means a deal-breaker, but it would be a factor of some consequence for me.

10. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I didn't get all the specs. It had an unfinished barrel and was heavy as hell. They also had the exact RRA ar-15 but I can find it cheaper. I'm trying to decide between a high quality AR-15 and the AR-10/.308. I already have a lower end AR, and anAK and SKS in the 7.62

11. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I also found a DPMS for 990. I would want to change the hand rail but other than that I like it. Seems like the DPMS AR-15s get decent reviews for its price point around here. They also had a Sig Sauer for 1600 that I wouldn't do a thing to. Very nice rifle.

12. 1911love

1911love New Member

I've also been looking into getting a semi .308. I like the POF, REPR, and MWS. Ruger's new SR762 looks pretty good too. I've almost made my mind up on getting the SCAR 17S though. I started a thread awhile back that would help, I just can't remember where it's at. Good luck.

13. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would save up the money and get the SCAR 17.

There's nothing that the SAI M-14 or AR rifles do that it won't do. It's lighter, just as ergonomic as the AR, and has the least amount of recoil of any .308 semi-auto rifle I've shot. It has enough rail space to mount everything but the kitchen sink on and it's charging handle is a lot like the AK that you're used to.

The only thing that irks me about the rifle is that it doesn't accept SR-25 mags.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

When did recoil become an issue with a 308? A 308 has about the same recoil as a 20 ga skeet load.

15. boredintr

boredintr New Member

My browning shorttrac hog stalker shoots straight and in 308 cal it recoils less then a 223

Boredintr on Firearms Talk

16. mdwalkerjr

mdwalkerjr New Member Supporter

I have a S&W MP 10 I like a lot. Takes standard Magpul mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

How is the cleaning procedure? Gas system easy to take down?

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I've been very happy with my DPMS LR-260H. There are better AR-10 style platforms,but they also cost 2-3 times as much.
    The DPMS has a big aftermarket for parts,and accessories,and is easy to change parts on. The factory trigger (as with most rifle this style) sucks,and is usually the first thing changed. I run a RRA NM 2 stage in mine.
    I don't care for the DPMS Sportical models,they are entry level rifles,and you can drop a lot of money into them making them into want you want.When for a few hundred more,you can get a model that has most of what you want/need,and just upgrade the trigger to have a fine shooting weapon.

[​IMG]

19. boredintr

boredintr New Member

Pretty easy much like a m14 i use a bore snake for the barrel

Boredintr on Firearms Talk

20. samnev

samnev New Member

I have read really good reports on the S&W MP 10. My shooting buddy who is very picky about his weapons got one a few months ago and swears by it. Reports I have read on the Ruger 762 have been mediocre with best groups 5 shot groups with FGMM running 1.5 moa.