Requiem to a HiPoint...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by RL357Mag, Jul 24, 2009.

1. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

As I was typing this in the original thread I noticed it was abruptly closed, so feel free to close this one too! As an aside...gun enthusiasts and pro-2nd Amendment supporters should be careful about "bad mouthing" products that they don't like or agree with. Almost every manufacturer makes a model that doesn't receive universal acclaim from shooters. Some companies exist solely to provide cheap self-defense tools and guns that everyone can afford. This reminds me of the "saturday night special" ban. Not everyone can afford a "quality" expensive handgun. If that's all that was available, many lower income citizens and minorities would be left defenseless. Any gun is better than no gun. That being said, anyone with the funds to purchase a "quality" firearm should spend as much as they can afford to acquire the highest quality gun they can buy, but we should be careful not to become "gun snobs"....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. layton

layton New Member

That is true, if that is all you can have, then any gun is better than none if you need it.

Layton

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Very good points Mag and Layton. Most people that are finally opening their eyes to what's going on around them and are wanting to get involved and purchase firearms to protect themselves and family, should not be discouraged from it because they cannot afford a top of the line firearm and their first exposure to a handgun may be only what they can afford at present. All firearms, no matter the make or caliber, will serve one with the same purpose in time of need.

Jack

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Zip guns are illegal though, right? I know some of dad's spookier relatives have referred to those as "door stops" in the past. I'm pretty sure how they meant it.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Where did the zip gun comment come from?

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think that some handguns are worse than useless. I am not a gun snob. I have had some high end hand guns and some inexpensive handguns that were still quality firearms. An unreliable piece of crap handgun will only get you killed.

There are plenty of affordable decent quality handguns on the market. There are plenty of very good quality used handguns available at even better prices.

Let's not get all bleeding hearts and be real here.

The question to be answered is: "Can I trust my or my loved ones life to this weapon?"

If the answer is maybe, you're f***ed.

7. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

It does not matter how much a handgun costs, if it will run 100%, it will do. Anything less might as well be a boat anchor. There are a lot of people out there that can not spend more than a couple hundred dollars for a firearm to defend themselves or their home and family. It also may take them a year to save that much. They also need ammo to practice with. If they can find a piece that will run reliably and not take food or shelter away because of price and be able to afford to practice with it, then they will be better off than someone with a $1500.00 piece that malfunctions one out of twenty rounds. That one malfunction (Murphys Law) might just be your demise....I am not making any references to HiPoint, this is just in general.......................

Jim................

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'll reiterate what I just said, it doesn't have to be expensive, just good quality.

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I've never heard of a gun that won't fire the first round in the chamber....more often than not, that is enough to save your life, hell, many times the shear sight of the gun is enough to thwart a crime.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

The relatives i was referring to don't all wear shoes or have social security numbers. They are poor, ignorant, country folk, but some of the ones who can't afford a better gun have found ways to fire a 12 guage in the absence of a decent gun. It seemed relevant in brief; it's the ultimate extension of the "cheap/imperfect gun vs. no gun" type debate.

When dad's mom moved to town to get a job at the cotton mill, she had to borrow some shoes to wear to work and rented a room for when she was off work that someone else used when she wasn't there (pofolks timeshare :D ). On the plus side, the area her people come from has great hunting, especially if you eat pork (haven't hunted there much personally). I wouldn't kick in an unanswered door out there though, doorstops can be hazardous ;) .

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

When I was a poor kid, I got a Raven .25 as a gift from my GF at the time. I still have it buried away somewhere around Chez Rock.

It has at least 3,000 rds through it, and has never malfunctioned. For sentimental reasons I'll never get rid of it, and know I could rely on it to work in a pinch.

Would it be something I'd buy today? Nope. But it works as well today as it did 25 years ago.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

Not dumping on any firearm that works consistantly. I understand the need for less expensive firearms but have always held to the moto "what's your life worth? I believe that low priced firearms are aimed to those that shouldn't have them in the first place. I expect I can be easily be proven wrong but it's my opinion. Then again look at how many shootings happen with a small caliber or old pistol. As much as we are told the thug has a a sweet pistol in most cases that is far from correct more the exception than the rule.

All that aside, like my homeowner/car or life insurance my firearm requires the same thought, what is the best firearm, I can afford for the purpose I expect to use it for. If one round or just showing the firearm would surfice, then a highpoint might be fine but I expect that it will be more than one round required to end a threat and if I show my firearm in a threat situation I expect I will be firing it.

As I said I could be completely wrong but it's how I see it.

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You are correct in your thoughts as usual, WDB. As an owner of a .45 Hi Point, I can tell you that I did not buy it for personal protection. I bought it to wear out and then send it back to get a new one.

My thoughts are this. If you want a pistol for home protection, you may want to get a well built da revolver. It goes bang every time. It is my luck that if I needed any semi in defense, it will fail to feed for one reason or another. That's just my feeling, and the same goes for shotgun protection. Pumps are the way to go for me. I would suggest that a new buyer of a pistol for defense look for a used Smithy or newer Ruger or Taurus. I have made my stance very clear about my well functioning Hi Point. It is not my first line nor my second line. I would not be afraid to use it as my second line, if I had to, but I don't.

I love my 4095 carbine, tho. :)

14. WDB

WDB New Member

SK,
    I think the 4095 is a far different animal than the highpoint pistol. But have to say with the tune up Sgt Miller did on his highpoint and the result it can be a decent pistol with some easy work on the feed ramp. Not one I would chose but a reasonable choice, I think Sgt Miller was into to it for less that $200 but still said his Ruger P95 was his first choice

15. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

I never had a problem with Hi-points other than them being butt ugly and as big as a brick until I watched a young guy try to use one at the range while it choked and malfunctioned every other shot,....a useless gun is useless, might as well have had the brick.

16. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

i know my first handgun was a lorcin 380 which always jammed up or misfed the 2nd bullet so you had one shot and you better not miss. thats why i quickly sold it back to the pawn shop and ended up getting a smith and wesson sigma 9ve i know some people talk smack about that gun too but i got lots of rounds thru it and not one misfed or jam. i would stake my life on that gun. would i like a better one? sure but that'll do the job til i can afford to upgrade. and how did this become a thread about bashing high points