Requesting knowledge on Mosin 91/30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Flash4142, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Flash4142

Flash4142 New Member

Hello, I am new to this forum and rather firearms as far as knowledge goes.

I was gifted a Mosin Nagant 91/30 to replace an M44 I had lost, but that's a long story.
    So yesterday I went shooting, and things were alright. I made sure the bolt was firmly pressed in the receiver when the rounds chambered, but it wasn't difficult to secure the bolt (tips I heard were red flags for head spacing issues, but if I'm wrong I do need correction, I'm here to learn).

Anyway, it fired great, I started out 1 round at a time, but then I filled the internal magazine and tried to fire all 4 of them. Each time I lift the bolt to eject round 3 of 4, the bolt handle gets REALLY sticky, to the point that slamming my open palm upwards to lift bolt didn't even release it.

I noticed that as the receiver heats up, the bolt would stick, and I would have to give it about 10 seconds (and by touch, a noticeably cooler bolt) before I was able to lift handle to eject the spent rounds.

Back when I had my M44, the bolt would always try to stick a little just before handle was fully lifted, as does this new 91/30, but the M44 never froze in that position, or got affected by heat regarding performance for that matter.
    When I picked out the 91/30 in the store (was gifted to me via friend's VISA) I selected one that had a perfectly smooth action, because I remembered my M44 sticking. However, the store had 2 91/30's and the clerk accidentally wrote the serial number for the wrong one, so when I finished my punishment period for living in California (10-day wait) I relieved that I had bought a rifle I chose against.
    I wasn't upset, hell the rifle was free and I was comfortable with it's set-up and shouldering and everything, and sale was final anyway, but that bolt turned out to be more of an issue than I thought. I hope I didn't post a long post for a well-known and easy-to-fix issue, but I didn't have anywhere to turn for this problem and Google can't win all my battles.

For the infos I was firing crap-ish ammo, HotShot 180 gr leadcore brass jacket (is that description sufficient?). Never had a problem with their ammo, it's just "cheap." I only owned 21 round at the time, so I only fired 16 of them, but by round 15 I could barely cycle the weapon and decided to put it away before it blew my face off or something. My friend suggests that I research over-pressurization in the chamber from the wrong ammo.

Anyone have ideas?
    Your time is appreciated, especially since I am long-winded when i type.

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

3. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

I am no expert.....but try shooting steel cased ammo out of it. Steel case doesn't expand as much as brass and may help with extracting the round.

4. meadville

meadville New Member

Ditto on the steel case ammo and are sure its pretty clean?

5. vjf915

vjf915 New Member

This. It's not the easiest thing to do, but you can take the bolt apart, give it a good cleaning. It involves rotating the inside piece as if it were inside the rifle. Be careful, it will snap into place very quickly, I got a chunk of my finger stuck in there and it was PAINFUL.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

OP, you have minor sticky bolt syndrome. Follow the instructions above. My buddy has a miss-matched Hungarian M44, he had to buy one since he loved my matching Hungarian. He literally had to kick the bolt open until I cleaned the chamber for him. Now it is very smooth operating.

7. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

Try a complete bolt soaking in Kroil. Kroil is a creeping cleaner and lube. A good chamber cleaning would help. Good luck

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. Follow the link to surplus rifle..com.

2. Strip and clean the bolt. Kroil is great stuff.

3. Find a brush, about 50 cal, a length of cleaning rod, a drill, and some Hoppes #9. Attach brush to rod, insert rod in drill, wet brush, insert into chamber, spin for about 30-45 seconds, then clean patch it. VERY thin layer of dried goop that gets sticky as it warms up.

4. Otherwise, you will need to buy one of C3's patented M-N sticky bolt openers. Looks just like a 2 ft length of 2x4. Available at better lumber yards everywhere. :p