Request on advice

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Marlinman, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I posted under optics a question bout lower to mod power scopes. No ones replied yet, and im usen the money tomorrow to order one if I can find one. So can anyone please give some advice on a good scope.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

You get what you pay for if it is a "brand" name scope.

In my experience, I have found that the scopes in the price range you can purchase at WalMart is not the best. Even Wally World's $79.95.

A general rule of thumb for some quality is to purchase a "brand" scope that costs at least as much as half of the rifle you are putting it on.
    If the rifle costs $700, then a $350 scope.

Now other things come into play. What reticle, tube size, range of magnification, parallex, lighted or not lighted?

I've had a guy order a Leupold scope that the MSRP was over $1200 that he mounted on his NM M14.

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Im looking for something roughly 2-10 power. 1" tube and id prefer lighted with a millplex reticle if I can. Has to be under $500 though. Its going on a marlin 882 ss 22 mag that I use for small game/varmint hunting. I make a lot of shots on squirrells that 3 power is just way to much-dnt get me wrong im capable of maken the shots but its kinda difficult