Republican Primary for Governor.

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by Shade, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Bill Brady

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Kirk Dillard

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Bruce Rauner

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. Dan Rutherford

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I will be voting in the Democrat Primary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I will not be voting

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Shade

Shade New Member

We have the election next week I was wondering who you will all be voting for.

Bill Brady
    Kirk Dillard
    Bruce Rauner
    Dan Rutherford

I will be voting for Rauner, even though the ISRA has endorsed Dillard.

For one I like Rauner's platform particularly working for smaller gov't and term limits. He is also pro-gun. We have much bigger issues here in IL than gun rights. We are the most in debt state per capita, by a significant margin.

Also Rauner is not a career politician. And lastly, both the career politician both Republicans and Democrats are afraid of him. That tells me a lot.

What are your thoughts.

2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I am not in Illinois, I live in Missouri, but I hope like hell Rauner gets it. Illinois needs a tough REP

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

My lovely wife and I voted early. For Rauner.

4. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Isn't he the demorat turned republican?

5. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

Rauner is the only one with a chance to beat Quinn. The other 3 have been around to long and can't will. I was talking to one of our State Senators about this. He backs Rauner. Says the other 3 are nice guys, but don't have what it takes to make the changes we need in Illinois.

6. CGS

CGS New Member

Here is what I do NOT like about Rauner, he claims to be a regular guy but is a multi millionaire. I don't care that he is wealthy, I am absolutely fine with that, but don't pretend to be broke like me. I also do not like the fact that he has donated millions of dollars to democratic candidates. Ok I am sure he needed to do that to get various permit or zoning approvals but it is hypocritical to me. I can not vote for him and refuse to vote for any candidate because that candidate is the lesser of two evils.

See right there what bluestar said, rauner is the only one with a chance to beat quinn. I say false! That's ONLY true because people say it. I mean if everyone voted their heart rather than the lesser of two evils then the real candidate may actually have chance.

I am undecided, but I know it will NOT be Quinn nor will it be Rauner.

7. Shade

Shade New Member

Most businesses donate to both candidates, simply hedging bets. I do have
    to disagree with you; I too think that Rauner is the only one with a chance to
    beat Quinn. And you do have to agree we have to replace Quinn.

But that is why we have elections, and not simply opinion polls...

8. BWM243

BWM243 Member

Sound like you do NOT have a big choice D TO P could be bad?

9. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

I understand that Rauner has some problems. But the fact is he has already made his money. He's not running for the perks of making money for himself as Gov. Just take a look at how many career politicians come into office broke and leave multi millionaires. Also, you do not make money as a business man in Chicago without supporting the Democratic machine candidates. If you want to play in that game you have to hold your nose and donate to them. Doesn't mean you agree with the guy. You say, "If everyone voted their heart", well that's what got us where we are. This state needs help NOW. I say I would rather have 75% of what I want from a candidate that can win then 100% of one that can't. Remember the other 3 guys are career guys that have never been able to punch trough to the top job. What makes you think they will now?

10. CGS

CGS New Member

I didn't say the others guys were worthy of my vote either. I said I am undecided.

However what I have decided on, is I would rather vote for a candidate I know won't win because I know the candidate is the right person for the job, than vote for someone who has a chance but I think that someone is an a-hole. I will NOT vote for the lesser of two evils any more.

Voting for your heart is exactly what has NOT happened in this state which is why we are in the condition we are in. Voting for the lesser of the two evils is exactly why this state is borderline ready to file bankruptcy. If you think that voting for your heart is what has been going on, you do not understand what I mean by the comment.

11. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

You do what you want, but your stubborn attitude is just a wasted vote. I learned that years ago when I voted for Ross Perot. I wanted to make a statement against a weak GOP candidate and Clinton. Well, my voting for Perot instead of HW Bush (the lesser of the 2 evils) got Clinton elected. How well did my principles work for me there? The Clinton election may come back to bite me again if Hillary runs. All that could have been avoided with a look at what the outcome of an election will probably be. I hope you don't look back years from now and have your own Ross Perot moment, when Quinn or one of the Madigans are running us further into the ground.

12. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

Rauner scares me as much as Quinn being re-elected.

Kirk Dillard's dad was my US History teacher in high school :) and he was more conservative than Kirk, always talked about the underplayed importance of foreign policy....

having moved out of chicago recently i have not re-registered in time to vote in tomorrows republican primary, but i would likely have put my vote in for Bill Brady....

I'm willing to place bets that Rauner flips on gun control.....he's all pro gun talk now, but wait til he gets elected and buddy's back up with rahm emmanual........we'll see.:cool:

13. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm not an Illinois voter, but if what a previous poster said is true, that he is a democrat turned republican, doesn't that mean that his democratic donations could have been done when he was still on that side? Also, he may have just been fulfilling promises he made when he was still democratic. I have no solid information on the man, just ruminating.

14. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Well the Trib is endorsing Rauner. He's out.
    They also say Dillard is hoping for public union support to win. I hate unions, but he's the ISRA poster boy this year.
    Not a fan of Rutherford - too much controversy already.
    Brady - meh.

This is the best we've got to unseat a total putz in the Gov's seat.
    And we wonder why there's voter apathy.

15. Shade

Shade New Member

Let me add this...

Both sides R and D are afraid of Rauner, he is rich already so they know they
    cannot bribe him. They have been digging hard to find dirt on him and cannot
    so he is likely a real choirboy/boy scout. I do not think he will flip on 2A
    issues; he is pushing for term limits and is planning on scaling back govt.

Everyone else on the R and D sides are career politicians, good enough for me
    not to vote for them.

As far as Oberweis and Truax, I am voting Truax, I do not think O is
    committed; Truax is an Army Vet and young and smart.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

16. bigjim

bigjim New Member

That's the issue, he has never publicly had to stand on a single issue. I too think he is a turncoat that will bite us in the butt if he ever gets into office. Dillard on the other hand we know where he stands, can he beat Quinn, only the Republican Party can make that happen if the actually try to get the vote out. Otherwise we are screwed again.

Jim

17. Shade

Shade New Member

No matter who wins the primary, we all have to back him. None of them are bad.

But who is the most likely to garner some Democrat votes; not a lot of Dems
    are happy with the high taxes and pension issues. After the primary we need
    to get the word out to as many State workers about how the Dems have
    stolen their pensions.

18. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Shade - for a long time I was a term-limits advocate. The problem is it's a two-way street - it gets rid of the dead weight, but also gets rid of the few that actually do their job. We've also all surely seen plenty of people with short-timers disease that do nothing at all at work, as well as politicians that push through things at the end of their terms because there won't be any repercussions if they know they are already out of a job. I just wish more voters would just show up and vote the riffraff out in the first place instead. I believe the push for term-limits is in direct correlation to voter apathy.

19. Bluestar99

Bluestar99 New Member

When this country was founded the framers called for "public servants" and they came from all walks of life. They served and went back to their former jobs. It makes me nuts when I hear current full time politicians call themselves public servants. That implies they are here do do what we ask of them. Not the case. When a guy runs for a second term, he has to keep all those special interest groups happy so he keeps his job. That means the second half of his term is spent campaigning and raising money for his reelection. Not any quality work getting done there. The more terms they run for the more barnacles they attract. I'm willing to let a few good ones go, cause there aren't many.

20. Shade

Shade New Member

I Voted this morning.

Rauner
    Truax
    Cross