Report or keep quiet???

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by CourtJester, Jun 24, 2014.

1. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Well I had a thread a while back about how to concealed carry on a bike. So I ended up using some Velcro and two zip ties to hold a holster to the neck of the bike. Really just for big mean dogs and such. I have a small squirter of pepper spray on it now too for the first choice or if I'm in town.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1403654158.481217.jpg

Anyway; I was out riding this evening out in the middle of nowhere on the back county roads and had an old late 70's/early 80's flat blue F150 come towards me. A minute later they passed me again from behind driving slow and staring. They went up about a quarter mile and turned around at an intersection and stop. As I got about 50ish yards away, the Hispanic passenger hopped out and grabbed about a three foot pipe out of the bed of the truck. He started walking towards me, swung the pipe around a little, kept saying something in Spanish, and was waiving and pointing his left hand to the side of the road. I assume telling me to get off the bike. I dunno. I only speak English but I know the bike is about $1000. I assume that's what he wanted. Again, I dunno. But I pulled the Glock, centered on his chest, yelled to stop or I'd shoot, and he froze, I assume shat his pants, and ran like hell back to the truck and they took off. No shots fired and finger never touched the trigger.
    I had already peddled about 15 or so miles pretty hard so my heart was already thumping and that made me feel my pulse in my skull. I don't wear my glasses when I ride so I couldn't make out a license plate and was a little too freaked to really focus on it anyway.

I am lucky to live in a pretty fire arm friendly town. Even the city police have chatted with me about concealed carry and said they are big supporters. But I was outside of city limits so it would go to county or maybe state and I'm not sure of their stance. So what's the worst case for me if I report it?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you have a good relationship with the local LE, report it

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

So, the guy didn't see the gun holstered on the bike? Sounds lucky for you that you had it. I'd go to the friendly cops 1st, and talk to them.

4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

What if he has no relationship with local LE?

5. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Back in my contractor days I had a couple of such encounters and the police weren't any help at all.
    Not a criticism they just can't be every where at once, I din't bother as I did not get the plate number.
    But typically thieves and thugs avoid conflict.

6. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

If you draw your weapon, you should report it to get your story on paper versus the other guy getting another story on paper first.

7. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I just related this story to my wife to help her understand why I carry whenever legal.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

whether you shot or not, the fact is you did pull the pistol to defend yourself. IMO, yes definately report it and give LE as accurate a description, as possible of the truck, and the guys in the truck.

my reasoning is simple. what it the next person they decide to ambush doesn't have a gun? at least by reporting the incident, LE is looking for these two guys. it may save someone else from being robbed, assaulted or possibly even killed.

9. CourtJester

But could/would they take said fire arm. What about the others? I've got a stupid number. Would/could they cancel the carry permit?

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Funny, reading that I assumed he was angry at you for riding your bike going with the flow of traffic late at night and aggressively telling you to try the other side or get off the road completely. That's something I'd do, without the pipe and repeated passing... or getting out and approaching. Lol okay, I'd just yell after I passed by, with a middle finger until you're out of sight. Then again that assumes there were no bike lanes.

Anyway, yeah, cover your butt for two reasons. One, you pulled your gun, they could report saying you had no reason and failing to report yourself could be viewed suspiciously. Two, as Axxe pointed out, your help could help protect/save others.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  11. LikeABoss

They could cancel it if he reports you as drawing a weapon on him for no reason, then they take you to jail, then you have to bail yourself out, then you have to get an attorney.

12. CourtJester

Yeah. My wife laughed at me when I pulled the gun out of the vault before leaving this evening. She thought I was stupid when I rigged the holster up to the bike and said I was overly paranoid. I think she has a different view of it now. ****, I know I do. I was just worried about big German Shepherds.

13. LikeABoss

My training has always taught me to report it, thank goodness haven't had to make that call, most LEO will take a report, no problem, you were on a bike, in middle of no where facing threat of grave aggravated assault that could cause tremendous bodily harm.

14. LikeABoss

How about......calling police office and saying a friend of a friend wants me to call to ask you a question........lol

15. CourtJester

You logical people piss me off but you've all got very valid points I didn't think of really. I'll give them a ring.

16. LikeABoss

So you are doing the friend of a friend thing huh?

17. CourtJester

Haha. Yeah. I'll try that first maybe.

18. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i was told, that you should immediately report any use of your weapon in defense, whether it was fired or not.

in fact, i assumed it was the law in TX (related to CHL?)? :confused: but i could certainly be wrong on that.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  19. CourtJester

Well immediately passed by a few hours ago so it'll have to wait until tomorrow between meetings.

I do thank y'all for the input though.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

whether it's law or not, may depend on the state you are in and it's firearms law.

IMO, whether it's law or not, IMO it just seems to be the right thing to do. if a person felt justified in pulling a gun in SD, whether it was fired or not seems like reason enough to report the incident.

alternate scenario. (hypothetical), not reported. a couple of days later, there is an article in the paper, two hispanic males, in blue Ford truck assaulted a jogger, robbed her and left her for dead. jogger is unidentified at this time as her ID was taken along with her valuables. she is in intensive care in critical condition. LE is asking for assistance from the community if they have any information on these two perpetrators. please call (XXX)XXX_XXXX with any information you may have on this crime.

that is why i suggest reporting it. CJ was lucky and i'm glad he was armed and no harm came o him and glad he didn't have to use his gun. i also commend him on what seems to me using good judgement and restraint as well. but they may look for a softer target the next time.