Replacing Grips on Ruger Vaquero

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Cowboy38, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Cowboy38

Cowboy38 New Member

Hello, i have a Ruger Vaquero and i want to replace the grips. is it as simple as ordering them and screwing them on or do i have to fit them or something?
    sorry for bad english

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Quality grips should not require major fitting, at least not the grips I have purchased.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. Stop by the introduction section when you get a chance.

3. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Make sure you order grips specifically for your gun.
    Then remove the originals and you just screw the new ones on.
    Don't wench the screws down, just good and snug.
    MAKE SURE YOU USE THE CORRECT SCREW DRIVER THAT FITS THE SCREWS.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

There are three different versions of the vaquero grip frame i know of. Call ruger with your serial number and they will be happy to tell you which frame you have. Then you can find grips.

Installation is one screw and easy to do. Just dont over tighten they can crack

5. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

CaryC supplies a spacer that fits between the grip panels to minimize over-tighteing the grip screw. Good idea for all two-piece grips.

Bob Wright

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Also, a lot of folks make Grips for many different Ruger SA's. You might also want to go to the next Gun show. I got a guy making me a very nice carved pr, out of Koa wood( Hawaiian Mahogany). I'm familiar with it because one of my Solid body Guitars is made of it. The second set he's making is out of colored fiberglass...he did have some nice SA grips. Do you want his E-Mail & #? I can PM you with it. He's is near me, in Prescott Valley Az.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't know that much about the vaquero. I do have a lot of experience with the Blackhawk. Grips and other parts are not as model specific as one might think. I ditched the internal lock on my Blackhawk by bolting on an XR3 grip frame. The XR3 grips required fitting with an emery board. A friend bolted on a grip frame from a Bisley Vaquero on a new model Blackhawk. I am sure there are other parts that are interchangeable.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  8. s4s4u

s4s4u New Member

There are a few differences in the various Ruger handles. Make sure you knw which you have:
    [​IMG]