Replacement recoil pad

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by aandabooks, May 5, 2011.

1. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've got two shotguns that I'm going to need to replace the recoil pads on. One is a Winchester 37 that I've already redone the stock on and I bought a medium recoil pad cheap at GM just to realize it is way too big.

The other gun that is going to need a recoil pad is a J.C. Higgins 16 gauge bolt gun that I picked up cheap. I was at Gander tonight looking at recoil pads and they are wanting $40 for a limbsaver that is grindable to size. How much of a pain is that? I have access to the equipment I will need but it seems like I should be able to get a pad that will fit right on. These aren't odd custom shotguns with oddball stocks. They are common guns.

What are your processes for fitting a recoil pad or am I just looking in the wrong place? I don't want to go the slipover recoil pad route.

2. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

All after market recoil pads are over size and need to be taken down. It is nice to have a jig that sets the angle of the heel and toe of the stock.
    Have you thought of a slip on recoil pad just a thought.
    F.K.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Wrap the butt end of the stock with at least 3 layers of masking tape. Grind the pad to fit until you barely get into the masking tape on the stock. That will prevent you from actually grinding on the stock & messing the finish up.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Using a 60 or 80 grit should give you a nice finish on the pad. Use a fresh sandpaper belt/disk and should it foul, clean it or install a new one.