Replacement grips for CC

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Squawk, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I recently acquired a Loaded Champion for EDC. I love everything about the gun except for the grips. They are great for shooting. Not so much for IWB CC. They tend to run my fat roll and can be quite painful.

I'm looking for suggestions for replacement grips that are comfortable for carry, but don't sacrifice too much grip. Any advice is appreciated.

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I find the basic checkered wood grips to be the best. They keep the profile thin and still give you something to hold on to. They also do not snag clothing like rubber grips.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If they are rubbing and chafing, you better find something smooth. Are you a pearl fan?

4. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Lose your fat roll! :)

sorry...I couldn't resist. :D

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Try one of the holsters like a Crossbreed, that puts some material between you and the grip. VZ grips are very grippy. My Springfield had old Pachmayer grips though.

6. Squawk

Squawk New Member

If it were only that easy

7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

They don't really rub or chaff. Every once in a while they'll scrape or grab my skin. So something a little smoother is all I'm looking for.

8. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I like the holster I have it in. Really small and compact. Just need slightly smoother grips.

9. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

Check out the Skingripz Operator or Tac II grips on eBay. They are $29.00 and have free shipping.

10. Brad_CCW

Brad_CCW New Member

You need to try a holster from N82Tactical.com. I know you said you like your holster but these are great. Very comfortable, good price, no part of the gun touches the skin, which is good when your gun gets hot or cold in the car too.

If you really want grips, checkered wood grips are fairly comfortable, and there are many less aggressive textures you can buy in wood or G10. Check out VZ Grips, Larry Davidson, Esmeralda, Hogue. But none o these are as comfortable as the suede backing on the N82 holsters.

FYI: I usually do buy grips for my guns but it's more for looks than comfort.

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A belly band holster will allow you to place the gun where it won't poke you in the hip. Belly bands usually have a place for spare magazines and a pouch for cash. The belly band also is a good back support. You can find a cheap belly band at the sportsmans guide to try it out. If you like carrying your gun in a belly band you can get a nicer holster later.

12. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I may have to try the belly band. Thanks. I just need to get my lazy ass in a gym. Lol. And lay off the fast food.

I ordered a set of VZ Grips Operator II. Should be here next Friday. If I still have issues with pinching/scraping, I'll try a new holster.

Thanks all for the input.

13. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you like the grips for shooting buy a holster with a skin protector.

14. nightal

nightal New Member

You said the grip grabs your skin, have you tried wearing a undershirt?
    get a holster the has a sweat shield. try to carry OWB..
    I am a big guy also, would not even think about IWB carry.

15. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Best kept secret out there.
    Get one with full sweat shield,

I got one shipped with full sweat shield,for $29.

Most comfortable, WILL NOT move around.NO clip.

Best IWB I have found.
    Cheaper than grips.

https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/default.asp?m=0

Jim

16. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member